1 2 3 4
singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
10/29/14 9:40 a.m.

I am going to try my damnest to make my first run next year. They ONLY reason I didn't come this year (even without a car) is because my stupid sister just HAD to pick the same weekend to get married! So inconsiderate. I have someone else on board next year as well. He wants to know if he can replace body panels on a Miata with canvas and framework?

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/14 9:43 a.m.

FWIW, I used to be a proponent of multiple classes and many awards for those in differing circumstances. Recently, I have begin to think that there is no need for many "everyone participated" type trophies and a streamlined schedule of just a few awards for the exceptional performers is just fine.

I think that every team deserves major recognition because just making it there is a major win for pretty much all entrants. It is NOT a simple thing to make happen and there are many situations that can easily derail a challenge build.

It sounds like the magazine leaderships understands this and wants to reward us all with even more coverage and recognition for making this event happen from our side. This makes me happy and I think they will work hard to make sure we get increased recognition that might not necessarily be in the form of a small trophy. Personally, I remember my first mention in the magazine back in '01(?) and wish I had a copy still because it meant a lot to me.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
10/29/14 9:47 a.m.

In reply to Swank Force One:

I'll make it sometime, its always a lack of time or money.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
10/29/14 9:54 a.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Swank Force One: I'll make it sometime, its always a lack of time or money.

Even if you can't get the car together (though honestly, i'd run the E36 M3 out of that thing even without boost, it's got a top half finish in it), i'd say come down anyways. Someone in the MX6 crew or Louisville crew will have an empty seat.

I was going to just drive the miata down to hang out after the MX6 bit it. That idea only got thrown out because i had to scramble to buy another winter vehicle since the MX6 was no longer an option.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/29/14 9:54 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: The challenge was more appealing before Lemons came around. I can spend less, get more race time, see lots of friends, create crazy solutions to questions nobody asked and not have to tow 30 hours one way.

This. Very strong point and totally makes sense to me.

Perhaps you could try to just make it down there with nothing more than your skills and willingness to work on something. There will be a team ready to adopt you and pull you into their crazy.

I tried lemons, and liked it but never fell in love with it. To each his own, though.

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/29/14 10:02 a.m.

Even just a rookie of the year award would be nice. Knowing that you don't need to compete directly with the top competitors to get a first timer to the event would be nice.

People enjoy competition if you know you can't win why try is the mentality I get from most of my friends. It's hard to convince someone that has not come that this event isn't about winning.

It is also hard knowing to be the most competitive it has to be a dedicated effort that isn't really good for any actual auto cross class.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/29/14 10:22 a.m.

Look for $2015 details to be posted very soon. I think we're all on the same page, though. Should be fun.

NOHOME
NOHOME SuperDork
10/29/14 5:10 p.m.
tb wrote: ....Perhaps you could try to just make it down there with nothing more than your skills and willingness to work on something. There will be a team ready to adopt you and pull you into their crazy.

This might be my only hope! Pretty much given up finding a local Canadian who wants to team up. I prefer the fabrication and misbehaviourification opportunities of the event rather than the actual driving bits.

If I fly down mayhaps I can find a team that wants to adopt the free labour. I am a good long distance driver for those that might need the down-and-back driving help.

dropstep
dropstep Reader
10/29/14 5:13 p.m.

id like to attend to spectate, I havnt talked to dan yet to see what he thought of the event though.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/29/14 5:51 p.m.

I've gone down two years in a row just to spectate. I intend to go with a car next year, but if I don't happen to have it ready I'll go spectate again anyway. It's a fun time and will get you invigorated to work on your own entry.
Nohome, you'll be welcome on our team.

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/29/14 6:53 p.m.

Getting new teams out there is an important task. I do not think more classes and/or specialized trophies/awards is the answer.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
10/29/14 6:56 p.m.

Who's willing to enter this?

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/armored-mercedes-s-class/92291/page1/

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/29/14 7:07 p.m.
Lof8 wrote: Getting new teams out there is an important task. I do not think more classes and/or specialized trophies/awards is the answer.

I just wish it was closer to those of us on the West Coast, but I guess that just means it gets to be a longer vacation.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/29/14 8:06 p.m.

right now the plan is for the WRX to make it's debut at $2015, the hope is to get Gimp there to co-drive and maybe i can con CarKid1989 to go along for the trip.

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
10/29/14 8:39 p.m.

Next year I will make a determined effort to bring someone with besides my wife on the next challenge. I always plan my trip as soon as I return from the previous one. From booking hotels in advance, to spending $1100 for a tow vehicle to make the trip.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
10/29/14 8:55 p.m.

If you need to prove the event to anyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS4QeBWdrrA

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/29/14 9:14 p.m.

I hope to participate again next year. I would also recommend a MUCH stronger outreach locally. Gainesville's car scene isn't huge, but it does exist and I think it would be fairly easy to get ~6 or more locals to enter. It's obviously easiest for those of us already here. Maybe reach out to some of the local groups and get them excited? How about the guys at Rollins?

wrenchedexcess
wrenchedexcess New Reader
10/29/14 9:23 p.m.

Great video!!!

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Dork
10/30/14 12:46 a.m.

My wife and I spectated in '06, and I've been dying to enter ever since! I'm hoping next year is the year, and I'll be bringing a DD, so nothing too crazy. I told my buddy today that he needs to bring his AE86 (he got it more than a decade ago in stock condition for $200 at a towing auction...some guys have all the luck!), so maybe there will be 2 VA Beach teams there!

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/30/14 4:12 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: If you need to prove the event to anyone https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS4QeBWdrrA Vice deal ! Thanks
pimpm3
pimpm3 HalfDork
10/30/14 6:54 a.m.

No mention of the Fiero in the video.... I am sad

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/30/14 10:16 a.m.
WillrunifChased wrote:
SVreX wrote: In reply to Rick Goolsby: May I suggest you offer an award that encourages new participation? Father/ son, student teams, newbie, lady's build, etc? How about a rookie lunch with the staff, or free tee shirts? I've been bringing kids (and newbies) for 10 years, and sometimes getting them back the 2nd time is harder than the first. I can sell the event. The craziness, the creativity, whatever. But they often feel intimidated, overwhelmed and don't know how to plug in. How about go kart sprints or autocrosses for newbies? $201.50 go kart build? Free subscription for 1st timers? Family build award? Yeah, these are a little self-serving for me, but I think raising up the next generation of GRMers is a good thing.
It is intimidating for new entrants. It takes a very high level of skill, time and patience to be at the top. There are very few people that can build a car to compete near the top. It would be nice to see some more awards for the competitors who dont necessarily have the skills to fabricate. I know you want interesting cars for the magazine but you also want more entrants. When there are different awards to win, it gives people hope to win something. Not just be there for fun and to see the creations from other competitors. In all seriousness with my lack of skill it would probably take me 10-15k to have a real shot at winning.

Heck it's intimidating for multi time entrants/spectators. I've been at the last 7 events, and this is the first time I've really stepped out of my comfort zone and just talked to people. I'm mainly spent the last 7 years concentrating on my own car/or those who I'm friends with, swearing I was done with this madness after this year. I have to say I enjoyed this year more than any other, and I'm looking forward to next year greatly.

Paul keep bringing the kids/family even if you have to drag them kicking and screaming. I actually enjoyed handing the wrench to someone who had no clue and the look on their face is "are you sure?" It's a race car, what are you going to break? (a bolt, in my case, but that should be easy enough to pull out)You stood there and watched me take it off, put it back!

The parking lot build, the parking lot detailing, the look on someone's face when you tell them the book says back the bolt out a 1/3rd of a turn after snugging them down, etc. That's all stuff that has to be experienced to believe it. When they get old enough the party Saturday night was quite enjoyable, (I even broke my no drinking rule) even though I was expecting a group of Hong's to jump out of the bushes at any moment. I was sad their brand of crazy wasn't present this year, though Les represented well.

I don't know who I could bring, my oldest niece has no desire to go if she can't ride in the car at least, as she gets bored rather quickly if it doesn't involve wildlife or computers.

Think we could come up with a set of karts to be available for the kids between autoX runs?

Mazdax605
Mazdax605 SuperDork
10/30/14 10:29 a.m.

I have a growing desire to come down for the challenge. My issues are the distance, time away from the family, and most importantly no talent when it comes to building a car. I have a tow rig and could borrow a trailer if I had to, but I am still stuck with the no talent part. I can fix almost anything on my cars, but when it comes to building a race car I get vapor lock. Whatever I could build wouldn't be able to hang with the likes of you guys, so I kind of don't see the point. I appreciate the invite though Steve. I can live vicariously through guys like you.

Chris

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/30/14 10:34 a.m.
Mazdax605 wrote: I have a growing desire to come down for the challenge. My issues are the distance, time away from the family, and most importantly no talent when it comes to building a car. I have a tow rig and could borrow a trailer if I had to, but I am still stuck with the no talent part. I can fix almost anything on my cars, but when it comes to building a race car I get vapor lock. Whatever I could build wouldn't be able to hang with the likes of you guys, so I kind of don't see the point. I appreciate the invite though Steve. I can live vicariously through guys like you. Chris

Can you unbolt seats? pull carpet? spray/roll on paint? Time, patience and practice will get you fabbing sheet metal.

Polish the turd to the best of your ability! Then bring it! SilverFleet spent hours with a DA buffer in his hands Thursday and amazingly was able to pull some shine out of that spirit's paint. A lot of cars that show up are not making that much more power than stock. They just benefit greatly from reduced mass/weight and a competition string alignment!

WillrunifChased
WillrunifChased New Reader
10/30/14 10:39 a.m.

In reply to Spinout007:

I can make it my job at the event to bring a parking lot build every year. It was quite enjoyable and entertaining. Maybe we will start with a running car next year.

It makes anyone willing to help feel included. Maybe we should plan for two parking lot builds, to have a competition between teams.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
P098JLcRWyK1cMdlXLawHWmFsKVpnewnjSIgLztAvK5nKtS5m88zKcQYXtTAiTZT