1 2 3 4
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/7/15 5:15 p.m.

It's coming up quick, who's going? I'm hoping to get at least two more events of seat time in with the Subaru before Nationals.

Looks like more Miatas then ever registered in the RWD classes.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
7/7/15 5:45 p.m.

I plan to be there. Not sure if my rallyx miata will be back up and running in time or if I have to bring the backup miata.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/7/15 6:05 p.m.

Not surprisingly, not me ;) My race travel budget will only get me to the closer NEDiv divisional in New York, and/or maybe one VIR TSSC event in addition to the WDCR schedule. A win in NY should conceivably wrap up the NEDiv MR title. Good enough for me before this car makes the move to stage rally next season and probably won't be as good for rallycross after that. I was considering trying to hit one of the Ohio Valley events, but if you're gonna be in a Subaru instead of the Miata, that would be less worthwhile.

I predict Shawn will win PR, regardless of the Miata he brings.

Out of curiosity, why are you going to the AWD side?

EvanB
7/7/15 6:14 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Out of curiosity, why are you going to the AWD side?

Got a good deal on the car and wanted to try something different. It also serves as a nicer daily driver than the Volvo I just sold.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
7/7/15 7:28 p.m.

I'm there and in Miata Modified, mainly because STR prep is enough to put me out of Prepared...

Only gonna be my third event in this car off road, and one of those was mud!

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/7/15 7:31 p.m.

Pending approval, I may be attending. Sadly not with the RX-7. All the big hitters in MR are no shows this year so I should theoretically be a shoo in. Oh well, must come back next year stronger and faster.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/7/15 7:42 p.m.

My wife has authorized me to go next year.....we'll see where they end up holding it. Anyplace east of the Mississippi and I'll be there, and I'll bring some of the local MR big-hitters with me for you Pete.

lol at the bios on Shawn and Katie on the SCCA page They make you guys sound like rallycross newbies.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
7/7/15 7:45 p.m.

"Couple, Katie Orgler and Shawn Roberts will make up half the field in PR with their Mazda Miatas. Competing together in the Virginia area, they have met in competition on more than one occasion. Shawn has bested Katie in the past and with only four competitors both have very good chance to make the podium in 2015. The change of scenery could be what Katie needs to bring home a win over Shawn but only time will tell as they make the long trek from Virginia to compete in this year’s National Championship."

Shawn....Katie is coming for you.

moxnix
moxnix HalfDork
7/7/15 8:05 p.m.

They have our miatas confused. Katie registered with the 94 and I registered with the 97. They are the same miata. We just don't know what one it is yet. We each registered with a different one so that only one of us has to change our registration later.

Knurled
7/7/15 10:36 p.m.
irish44j wrote: My wife has authorized me to go next year.....we'll see where they end up holding it.

I hope the Iowa site doesn't turn into a cluster-f the way last year did. I respect that weather conditions leading up to th event were extreme and the only thing you can do when dealt a E36 M3 sandwich is take a bite and deal with it. I hope that wasn't the reason why we're not there this year. Nebraska was pretty much further away for everyone except people from Michigan and New England (and of course Nebraska Region) and Iowa is going to be even moreso. I don't envy the people making the trek from the West Coast.

That said, it would be REALLY AWESOME if we went back to Tulsa. I may be biased a little because of the four (!) nationals I've been to, the first three were the ones at TRP, but the site was huge, held up well, was in a great area as far as hotel and motel and camping were concerned, and was reasonably central to the country. Nebraska was something like 100mi closer and Iowa will be closer yet (it's down to a maybe 8 hour drive for me, one of the factors in maybe going) but IMO the Tulsa experience is worth the grind of a trip. Funny story: Went there three times, each time said wanted to eat at a different restaurant at lunch, each time went to a Greek deli called Batman's because of the name. So that became a kind of ORI tradition.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
7/7/15 10:39 p.m.
irish44j wrote: "Couple, Katie Orgler and Shawn Roberts will make up half the field in PR with their Mazda Miatas. Competing together in the Virginia area, they have met in competition on more than one occasion. Shawn has bested Katie in the past and with only four competitors both have very good chance to make the podium in 2015. The change of scenery could be what Katie needs to bring home a win over Shawn but only time will tell as they make the long trek from Virginia to compete in this year’s National Championship." Shawn....Katie is coming for you.

They also said this was my time to shine. I think they're confused about more than one thing.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
7/7/15 10:41 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
irish44j wrote: My wife has authorized me to go next year.....we'll see where they end up holding it.
I hope the Iowa site doesn't turn into a cluster-f the way last year did. I respect that weather conditions leading up to th event were extreme and the only thing you can do when dealt a E36 M3 sandwich is take a bite and deal with it. That said it would be REALLY AWESOME if we went back to Tulsa. I may be biased a little because of the four (!) nationals I've been to, the first three were the ones at TRP, but the site was huge, held up well, was in a great area as far as hotel and motel and camping were concerned, and was reasonably central to the country. Nebraska was something like 100mi closer and Iowa will be closer yet (it's down to a maybe 8 hour drive for me, one of the factors in maybe going) but IMO the Tulsa experience is worth the grind of a trip.

I hope you're pleased with Iowa! We don't suck! It might be very hot, but there is plenty of cheap camping sites nearby plus all of Indianola and Des Moines for hotels, dinners, vacationing when not driving, etc.

Only weird quirk is the site doesn't allow pets. We're allowed to tear up their field but they won't risk any dog crap.

Knurled
7/7/15 11:58 p.m.

In '07 or so, I was swapping to rally tires on my Golf and I smelled cat poop somewhere. Couldn't see it anywhere. Huh, well it's a farm/backyard with cats so who knows, who cares, STFU GBTW.

Stood up, and I found it. I was kneeling directly in the pile, cat poo was now throughly distributed over my jeans. Hey Madge, I soaked in it!

EvanB
7/8/15 8:11 a.m.

I would also like to go back to Tulsa, it was just about the perfect site.

So far I have had two events in the Subaru, both were muddy. At least I will be prepared if it rains.

I'm also annoyed about the no smoking rule on site.

barrowcadbury
barrowcadbury Reader
7/8/15 11:36 a.m.

Minnesota checking in! This will be my first nationals event and only my 4th rallycross ever. Running my 01' 2.5RS in Stock class.

EvanB wrote: I'm also annoyed about the no smoking rule on site.

Same here!

kylini
kylini HalfDork
7/8/15 6:09 p.m.
barrowcadbury wrote:
EvanB wrote: I'm also annoyed about the no smoking rule on site.
Same here!

So... Iowa law prohibits smoking at outdoor public events and sites are allowed to add their own rules but nothing prevents you from smoking on a public roadway, which the site cannot control.

Yeah. TMYK. Still frustrating for some of y'all.

Knurled
7/8/15 6:13 p.m.

EH, poop happens. When in bear country the bear makes the rules.

I think my driving improved after I quit smoking. Certainly I have a lot more money to spend on the car

I like the unofficial response to the "no smoking in grid" rule. When you are in your car you are not in grid, so you can smoke as long as you stay in your car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
7/8/15 7:38 p.m.

I won't be back from summer in time.
If it were a week later I could have made it. Have fun for me.

Knurled
7/10/15 6:55 p.m.

For what it's worth, I just discovered that scca.com now has a forums section. I guess they are pretty much giving up on fixing sccabb.com.

EvanB
7/15/15 8:52 a.m.

Where is everyone staying? I have been looking for hotels but it doesn't seem like there are many lower priced options like previous nationals. Lowest I have found within 20 minutes of the site is $98 per night.

Knurled
7/15/15 1:14 p.m.

Technically I won't know if I can attend until the Thursday beforehand. Someone else is on vacation that week and it will be a miracle if I can even get the Friday off.

The site is 666 miles away from here, so pending approval my plan is to leave work Thursday and go directly to the site, passing out for a few hours here and there as necessary...

kylini
kylini HalfDork
8/3/15 7:42 p.m.

SUPERBUMP!

I just wanted a reason to show off my pretty stickers. I'm gonna put a huge GRM banner on the rear of the hardtop and have a variety of smaller ones to match whatever SCCA mandatory graphics they give us.

EvanB
8/3/15 7:48 p.m.

Are you running those tires?

I just fixed the cigarette lighter in the Subaru so I can charge my phone and installed some new speakers. Good to go.

kylini
kylini HalfDork
8/3/15 8:02 p.m.
EvanB wrote: Are you running those tires? I just fixed the cigarette lighter in the Subaru so I can charge my phone and installed some new speakers. Good to go.

You know... I'm thinking about testing them on the practice course. Honestly, snows are what I'll likely compete on.

I wrote my stereo down on the mandatory modifications log.

EvanB
8/3/15 8:09 p.m.

What is the surface like at the site? Does it get really hard and fast and destroy snow tires or is it softer?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
q19IcKbrBo0hJWD7F3fa4j2iBgEDKRuIiwTyDB20RzeSvacuXCIBoIe39mNZAUo8