1 2
b13990
b13990 Reader
10/5/19 1:13 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

In this context "Real" = mechanical diff, not electronic brake modulation on an open diff.

I have a hard time accepting this linguistic shorthand. The "differential" part consists of allowing the two sides of the coupling to operate at different speeds, not of limiting their ability to do so. So say it doesn't have a "real" locking feature. That's accurate.

Besides that, there are most definitely Subarus that don't have a "real" center differential- they have a multi-plate wet clutch that approximates one. And those actually can be locked.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
10/5/19 1:32 p.m.

I agree that the shorthand term "diff" meaning mechanical limited slip does not make a lot of sense, but that's how it is.

I think "real" LSD makes more sense.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/19 7:37 p.m.
b13990 said:
ProDarwin said:

In this context "Real" = mechanical diff, not electronic brake modulation on an open diff.

I have a hard time accepting this linguistic shorthand. The "differential" part consists of allowing the two sides of the coupling to operate at different speeds, not of limiting their ability to do so. So say it doesn't have a "real" locking feature. That's accurate.

Besides that, there are most definitely Subarus that don't have a "real" center differential- they have a multi-plate wet clutch that approximates one. And those actually can be locked.

While true, when was the last time they made one?  Automatic 2.2l Legacies?

MrFancypants
MrFancypants New Reader
10/5/19 7:56 p.m.

IIRC the 2015 WRX rides a little on the stiff side, so you may not find the STI to be much less comfortable. The STI certainly has a lot going for it in terms of being ready for the track.

RX8driver
RX8driver Reader
10/6/19 9:10 a.m.

I think the WRX vs STI thing really comes down to use. If you want it as primarily a street car, the WRX is better, as it'll ride better, gets way better mileage (mine gets around 8L/100km) and is cheaper to buy. It will take occasional track use and autocrossing. If you're more into hard track use and can afford the extra cost to buy and fuel it, then the STI may be a better option for you.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XOlJfkaOx1Aq8GqcA8H81TMbWF77hcQGH6eSyrD1u9rcqutleuNDPwUCS7JcA3rI