1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
10/1/16 9:14 p.m.
feature_image

A wooden replica of Porsche’s iconic 917/10 Can-Am champion; a V8-powered hotrod that can gobble a quarter-mile in 10 seconds; a Subaru Justy that can beat most cars at your local autocross: They can be found together in only one place, the Grassroots Motorsports $2016 Challenge.

The event meets every year at Central Florida’s Gainesville Raceway and seeks the finest …

Read the rest of the story

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/1/16 10:02 p.m.

It's like the red Sox. Couldn't win forever. Breaks the curse, now he's unstoppable. Go Andy nelson!

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/2/16 6:14 a.m.

Ed, great job on all the coverage! Everyone at Grassroots Motorsports did a fine job hosting this signature event once again. Congrats to the winners and all the participants. What a wonderful group of wacky, creative and hard-working gearheads!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/2/16 6:23 a.m.

Thanks for all of the live video and real time coverage. After reading about so many of these builds as they happen it's a relief not to have to wait out a results embargo. Don't worry, I'll still spend way too much time reading about every entry in the magazine, just like I always do.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
10/2/16 10:58 a.m.

I was able to watch the awards presentation last night- that was utterly awesome!

I could even connect some of the real people with their forum names. Somehow my living room got real dusty when hobiercr came up for his award...

Thank you guys for making the challenge accessible to those of us that couldn't make it!

Ed Higginbotham
10/2/16 11:46 a.m.

Glad you all enjoyed it! Let's do it again next year.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/2/16 4:24 p.m.
mndsm wrote: It's like the red Sox. Couldn't win forever. Breaks the curse, now he's unstoppable. Go Andy nelson!

Totally. Can't wait to see what the Nelson family beings next year.

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
10/2/16 7:06 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham:

Congrats again to the Nelson family on a close fought win and for Calvin for his Rookie of the Year award. Many thanks to all the competitors for just making this a great event. Most of all I would like to thank all our staff that attended the event for all their hard work.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/16 7:30 p.m.

Is there a dump of the slideshow pictures we can look at/steal from?

David S. Wallens
10/2/16 7:33 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Is there a dump of the slideshow pictures we can look at/steal from?

Once we're in the office we'll post more pics.

Here's a shot for you, though.

323A3681

Thanks for joining us.

Ed Higginbotham
10/2/16 7:34 p.m.

When I get back into the office tomorrow I should have access to all the photos everyone took over the weekend. I'll make a nice BIG image gallery for the site and Facebook.

Edit: Dag. David beat me to the punch

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/2/16 7:34 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

If it weren't you I'd say that I love you.

David S. Wallens
10/2/16 7:42 p.m.

And here's something a bit more action-y.

323A4744

Okay, back to the couch for some R&R.

evildky
evildky SuperDork
10/2/16 8:08 p.m.

Congrats again for another win Andy, and congrats to all who built and raced cars for less than $2016, I know first hand how challenging and rewarding this process can be.. Thanks to GRM and their staff for continuing to host one of the best automotive and social events anywhere. I hope to make it back one day.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
10/2/16 8:40 p.m.

Pictures I took at the Challenge if you see one you like I can send you the full size version.

bigben
bigben New Reader
10/2/16 11:07 p.m.

That was a great event! I had a lot of fun and will hopefully make it back next year.

If anyone has some video or good action shots of the Opel GT please let me know. I had some camera issues and didn't get any pics or videos of my car during the racing.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
10/3/16 4:50 a.m.
Andy Neuman wrote: Pictures I took at the Challenge if you see one you like I can send you the full size version.

Andy, there are about 3-4 shots of the '02 that are really good. Any chance you can send me high res ones?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/16 6:44 a.m.

Who had the LOWEST budget and finish all competitions?

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/16 7:02 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Someone had a negative budget.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/3/16 7:48 a.m.

Who?

And that is awesome, whoever it was!

Ed Higginbotham
10/3/16 8:16 a.m.

I believe the negative budget was NordicSaab with the BMW 2002.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/3/16 8:21 a.m.

On the BMW 2002 I remember him saying that the sale of the Chrome bumper and various exterior chrome trim alone returned more than he had into the purchase (or something to that affect.)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/16 8:31 a.m.

Rule clarifications this year open the door wide open for negative budgets.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/16 8:32 a.m.

In fact, that would be a rather interesting class... Negative budget cars!

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/3/16 8:32 a.m.

is the new rules going to be the same as the old? were getting underway HARD on the spirit, and just want to be certain before going off the deep end.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mYIR2lc0ICOWPNpROuHKIudnC8asbC6yf1QSPqNecK7TrkRF02zJYqxHcQgDNn1m