David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/24/16 9:15 a.m.
feature_image

Subaru knows a thing or two about building wagons that can go off-road. Their latest release in this market is the Crosstrek, a kind of jack-up Impreza wagon.

The Crosstrek isn’t just an option package as it is its own model line. Our 2.0i Limited represents the top gas-powered model in the line and adds leather interior, a leather-wrapped steering …

Read the rest of the story

NickD
NickD Dork
8/24/16 9:29 a.m.

I think Subaru should've gone retro and named these the Leone, or DL or GL, or Loyale. AVO makes a turbo kit for these that pumps them to like 250hp at the wheels, probably pretty interesting

java230
java230 Dork
8/24/16 9:41 a.m.

So you say power was ok, how was it actually, say merging in traffic mated with the CVT? I kind of like them and think it would be a good little car, but my wife wants something that really gets out of its own way.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
8/24/16 11:50 a.m.

Test drove the 2015 when we bought the 15 Outback. SWMBO loves these. I like everything but the power, but it really doesn't feel bad to drive.

David S. Wallens
8/24/16 5:27 p.m.
java230 wrote: So you say power was ok, how was it actually, say merging in traffic mated with the CVT? I kind of like them and think it would be a good little car, but my wife wants something that really gets out of its own way.

If you stand on it, it's not bad. Just stand on it and let the transmission do its thing. Also, note that we were at sea level.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
8/24/16 7:09 p.m.

Drove one a few weeks ago and I was getting over 40 mpg with the CVT. Unbelievable mileage for a Subaru. I put almost 900 kms on it. I was pretty impressed.

java230
java230 Dork
8/24/16 9:35 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
java230 wrote: So you say power was ok, how was it actually, say merging in traffic mated with the CVT? I kind of like them and think it would be a good little car, but my wife wants something that really gets out of its own way.
If you stand on it, it's not bad. Just stand on it and let the transmission do its thing. Also, note that we were at sea level.

Thanks! I'm at sea level her current cars trans just sucks, it's like a good one Mississippi after flooring the gas before it will downshift and start to move. Bad for merging on the freeway....

David S. Wallens
8/24/16 9:58 p.m.

Take one for a spin and see what you think. I'm seeing those Crosstreks all over the place, too.

java230
java230 Dork
8/25/16 11:37 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Take one for a spin and see what you think. I'm seeing those Crosstreks all over the place, too.

That's the plan! Im in WA, Subaru capital of the universe. Lots of Crossteks.

David S. Wallens
8/26/16 10:32 a.m.

We parked next to another Crosstrek while in Monterey. They were everywhere. Heck, you see a lot here in Florida, too. My mechanic and his brother-in-law own our local shop. Both of their wives drive Crosstreks.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
8/26/16 8:12 p.m.

Thank you for the review, this is very relevant to my interests.

It took a couple days for the base model price to sink in- wow!

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/26/16 9:17 p.m.

Wife had a 2014 Forester, has the old 2.5 with 175hp and the CVT. So I imagine the XV is similar. Wasn't too bad merging into traffic or overtaking, just had to stomp on it like David said. I really love how the XV looks and drives just wish they offered an XT/STI/Sport model that had some more power. Those FA motors are just so unentertaining

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
8/26/16 9:23 p.m.

I drove one and liked it but wanted something with less interior noise and did need a bit more storage so I went with an 6 speed manual Outback. I do think Crosstrek is better looking........I'm especially fond of the road warrior wheels for some reason.

Tom

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/27/16 7:28 a.m.

I wonder if the hybrid model would have quicker acceleration than the gas one?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
8/27/16 7:53 a.m.

What the heck is a 6-speed CVT?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
8/27/16 7:58 a.m.

Subaru is doing a pretty good job of making not quite a CUV. I'm actually really impressed with the mileage they finally been able to coax out of these powertrains.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
8/27/16 10:04 a.m.

I haven't driven one yet, but may very soon.

Playing around on their website they have some interesting options you can build in.

Based on the same website, a WRX base model is $26,695.

But I'm being a sensible, kid transporting adult and not shopping those. Kind of...

bluescooby
bluescooby Reader
8/28/16 4:19 p.m.

My wife likes hers a lot but she does get frustrated with the lack of power.

David S. Wallens
8/31/16 12:18 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Subaru is doing a pretty good job of making not quite a CUV. I'm actually really impressed with the mileage they finally been able to coax out of these powertrains.

The economy really has improved with this current round of engines. Subarus weren't always known for their mpg numbers, but the current cars are changing that notion.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
8/31/16 12:59 p.m.

Tell me... Is the Crosstrek really $2800 better than the base Impreza hatch?

I couldn't see that much additional value when I was shopping these.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
8/31/16 9:44 p.m.
EvanR wrote: Tell me... Is the Crosstrek really $2800 better than the base Impreza hatch? I couldn't see that much additional value when I was shopping these.

No but I feel the XVs will hold resale slightly better than the Impreza wagon

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZtzN0yxAwLzKQPpzKd3qg8LdC5c3b04MvUSQbLEEgpqsfmxUfZBQaYnPcpsMakge