1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/5/16 9:10 a.m.

First, yes, fun weekend. Like the rest of you, the staff is just beat. Thanks again, everyone, for joining us in Gainesville. Thanks for the feedback during the town hall meeting, too.

This year marked the third year in our three-year rule lock, and we plan on again locking in the next revision for three years. Very soon--like hopefully in two or three weeks—we'll post the updated rules. We don't foresee any surprises.

A few other things:

Safety: Yes, we have been discussing some of the things that we saw and will be making updates.

Pro drivers/grid: We have also been talking about ways to keep things moving during the autocross.

Concours: We have been discussing some tweaks here, too, to keep things on schedule and not totally wear out our judges. An auditing procedure is also in the works.

Date: We hope to announce that very soon. We're waiting for Florida to release their football schedule.

Pickup trucks: Let's do it as a sub-class.

Other stuff: There are some extras that we'd also like to add to the weekend. Details to come once we figure it all out.

Veterans: It was cool seeing Quasi Mofo return after a dozen years away. We'd like to see some more faces from back in the day. (Yes, we're coming for you, AngryCorvair and alfadriver.)

Thanks again, everyone.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 9:13 a.m.

I love you too!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/5/16 9:26 a.m.

LOL. Right now, given the timing of this year's event, we'll be on a ship in the St. Lawrence next year.

Not that I don't constantly have ideas.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 9:28 a.m.

Thank you David.

I haven't had that much fun in 14 years

David S. Wallens
10/5/16 12:52 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Thank you David. I haven't had that much fun in 14 years

Glad that you were able to make it.

McTinkerson
McTinkerson Reader
10/5/16 1:02 p.m.

Depending on the rules, I might just build Sweet Chili Heat v2 ($1008.5 Elco FC RX-7) and drive down. Could probably grab the furthest distance award. St Albert, AB to Gainesville, FL is around 4400km. I hope I can finally make it to one of these. Been trying to make it work since 2006.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UberDork
10/5/16 1:34 p.m.

Team External Combustion/Nuthin' But A Z Thang/whatever the berk we are called now is hoping we can make it back with one or more vehicles for $2017. It all depends on the dates, since all of our wives decided that October is the best time of year to get married and we all have anniversaries.

We have some interesting ideas.

David S. Wallens
10/5/16 1:34 p.m.

And I put together a draft of the updated rules last night, and it's currently circulating among some of the staff. With the hurricane sneaking up on us, we're tabling it until we're all back in the office.

TL;DR: Don't expect any big surprises.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 1:43 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: LOL. Right now, given the timing of this year's event, we'll be on a ship in the St. Lawrence next year. Not that I don't constantly have ideas.

My teammate and I are already putting together evil thoughts for 2017. And likely the car will spend at least some build and prep time this fall and winter at his place in Livonia. And you could look him up in your company email system.

Come on over to help drink beer and wrench. We can always use more ideas.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/5/16 1:50 p.m.

I'm already looking into what I can get away with doing to the Vic t to be a decent challenge competitor but still DD-able. Although if the auction date works out like it did this year, might just buy something the day before and have tires waiting in Gainesville for me.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
10/5/16 1:57 p.m.

If the event is late enough in the year I may bring two cars.

The concourse has always confused me as the two cars I've built in the parking lot have received my highest scores. I see the ticket to success as spray painting my car on the way in for judging.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/5/16 2:01 p.m.
Robbie wrote:
alfadriver wrote: LOL. Right now, given the timing of this year's event, we'll be on a ship in the St. Lawrence next year. Not that I don't constantly have ideas.
My teammate and I are already putting together evil thoughts for 2017. And likely the car will spend at least some build and prep time this fall and winter at his place in Livonia. And you could look him up in your company email system. Come on over to help drink beer and wrench. We can always use more ideas.

What's the plan? Or idea?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
10/5/16 2:14 p.m.

Yessss!!!!

We're test fitting the drivetrain in the 2017 car Friday night.....

We're also hoping to make a splash in a good way with team hellbilly at our first challenge.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/5/16 2:46 p.m.

I think I've got my team together, and the car purchased.

JG (and staff), you'd better stop me soon if you don't like the idea!!

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/5/16 2:57 p.m.

When I got to the challenge this year I had decided that next year I would only attend as a spectator. It is just too physically demanding for a 1 man, disabled person team...

Somehow, during the 1100+ mile drive home I changed my mind and started planning upgrades and goals for competing next year...

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/5/16 2:59 p.m.

In reply to tb:

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/5/16 3:09 p.m.

So the truck class is official...Good.

David S. Wallens
10/5/16 3:23 p.m.

Speaking of the $2017 Challenge, those of us in Florida are preparing for Hurricane Matthew. You probably won't hear from us much until we come through on other side. Just didn't want anyone to think that we're ignoring them.

Thanks.

NGTD
NGTD UberDork
10/5/16 3:26 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Speaking of the $2017 Challenge, those of us in Florida are preparing for Hurricane Matthew. You probably won't hear from us much until we come through on other side. Just didn't want anyone to think that we're ignoring them. Thanks.

Good luck - I hope you all come out unscathed!

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
10/5/16 3:33 p.m.

I'm excited about the 'special' classes over the last few years. I think it's given an injection of creativity to the whole thing. The trucks are going to be cool.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 3:38 p.m.

We may truck. Or otherwise. Not sure yet. I have a $300 85 s10 sitting at stampie's place .

Pretty sure the Z is going over budget and has made it's final challenge appearance.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/5/16 3:46 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens:

How 'bout if you keep that darned storm down there?

I am having trouble getting an electric service entrance complete for a business I am working on (we have had a shutdown scheduled for this Sat for 3 weeks). GA Power has called in 800 linemen on standby, and cancelled all scheduled work this weekend, so we are SOL.

First world problems, right?

Stay safe!!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 3:58 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Robbie wrote:
My teammate and I are already putting together evil thoughts for 2017. And likely the car will spend at least some build and prep time this fall and winter at his place in Livonia. And you could look him up in your company email system. Come on over to help drink beer and wrench. We can always use more ideas.
What's the plan? Or idea?

super-lightened 1980 fiat x19 + the GSXR 1000 motor that is sitting in my garage

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/5/16 4:23 p.m.

In reply to Robbie:

Sounds fun. On our way back home, we thought of an X1/9 with an Alfa V6 in the back. That was a long time ago we thought of that.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 8:19 p.m.
patgizz wrote: We may truck. Or otherwise. Not sure yet. I have a $300 85 s10 sitting at stampie's place .

You guys aren't exactly neighbors...

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Hg6QIDxEaDOgHNMyrAmPKy34CuhseZzxYSkaSeYeChq4pFP2JVU8Vw3fa32FxWHB