1 2 3
dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/5/16 9:45 p.m.

Let's figure out a way to publicize the event here in Gainesville, in advance, so we can generate local buzz. No reason why there shouldn't be ~6 or more local teams showing up. I would love to help.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/5/16 9:57 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: Let's figure out a way to publicize the event here in Gainesville, in advance, so we can generate local buzz. No reason why there shouldn't be ~6 or more local teams showing up. I would love to help.

Fun story semi-related to that. On friday morning this year, I realized I made a grave setup mistake and needed 4 1 inch wheel spacers for a saab. 5x110. Literally one of the least common bolt patterns.

FLAPS were useless, until one guy at NAPA told me to try Gator Customs. The shop is basically as close to the raceway as you can get. Not only did the guys have some really cool builds going on back there, they also HAD THE SPACERS IN STOCK!!!

I asked them to come to the drags that night, not sure if they did or not. I'm sure they would build a sweet car though if they made a team.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/5/16 10:52 p.m.
petegossett wrote:
patgizz wrote: We may truck. Or otherwise. Not sure yet. I have a $300 85 s10 sitting at stampie's place .
You guys aren't exactly neighbors...

I suspect certain members of this forum don't measure distance like normal people. I further suspect that patgizz is one of them.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/5/16 11:08 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
petegossett wrote:
patgizz wrote: We may truck. Or otherwise. Not sure yet. I have a $300 85 s10 sitting at stampie's place .
I suspect certain members of this forum don't measure distance like normal people. I further suspect that patgizz is one of them.

It's like you guys know me or something.

I'm about to go running all over the eastern half of the country here shortly. Still in FL, but on west coast. Bailing on vacation a day early and heading north Friday morning, hopefully out in front of the storm. Worst case i park it here and stay until it passes.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/6/16 1:26 a.m.
petegossett wrote:

It's OK, I've been storing two 14 bolt axles at his house for the last 9 months.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/16 6:26 a.m.

It's okay. Robbie's car, Aussies repair parts and Andrews engine are in my garage and my gars in Georgia.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/6/16 6:30 a.m.

I suppose I'm just as guilty as anyone. My stalled challenge project is sitting at Ben's place, in pieces, in Indianapolis. I actually got further away from it when I moved to florida.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man SuperDork
10/7/16 12:16 p.m.

I figure I have a 50:50 chance of making it. Even if the Toyota-based project falls through, I'll be bringing my next daily after I do all the suspension stuff.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/7/16 1:11 p.m.

NoPermitNeeded
NoPermitNeeded Reader
10/7/16 2:06 p.m.

I have the line to an '87 thunderbird turbo coupe that is calling my name for the challenge next year...

patgizz
10/8/16 5:56 a.m.
wheels777 wrote:
patgizz wrote: We may truck. Or otherwise. Not sure yet. I have a $300 85 s10 sitting at stampie's place . Pretty sure the Z is going over budget and has made it's final challenge appearance.
NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You really want me to try and make it score higher in concours? Because you know what I'm shooting for in drag time. I'm not good at shiny paint

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/8/16 7:08 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

You have a year to practice and that scheme we talked about would be kick butt.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Reader
10/8/16 7:17 a.m.
patgizz wrote:
wheels777 wrote:
patgizz wrote: I'm not good at shiny paint
You just don't Berkley with patina. The z is so close....would hate to see it not realize it's full potential.
patgizz
10/8/16 7:33 a.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to patgizz: You have a year to practice and that scheme we talked about would be kick butt.

We need to go over that, text me what to look up

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/8/16 8:04 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

Shiny paint doesn't matter... being photo worthy does!

John's van looked pretty good- all done with cheap Ebay vinyl wrap.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/8/16 11:51 a.m.

The two highest scoring concourse cars i have built were spray painted in a parking lot... just saying. The clean, nicely painted vehicles i entered were not even close.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
10/8/16 2:51 p.m.
pimpm3 wrote: The two highest scoring concourse cars i have built were spray painted in a parking lot... just saying. The clean, nicely painted vehicles i entered were not even close.

This x2

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
10/8/16 2:54 p.m.

Concourse is more about trick engineering and less about shiny objects. I fully suspect a dirty Andy Nelson special is worth more in concourse than a minty corvette.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/8/16 2:56 p.m.
SVreX wrote: In reply to patgizz: Shiny paint doesn't matter... being photo worthy does! John's van looked pretty good- all done with cheap Ebay vinyl wrap.

This. One thing that really struck me as a first-timer was the finish-level of most vehicles was much closer to "racecar" than "concours". I'm not knocking any of the builders or their cars, but in photos most top Challenge cars look impeccable, while in person you realize(for the most part) they're attainable by the average gearhead.

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/8/16 3:00 p.m.

I'm No SVreX or Alfadriver, but I plan to return next year. That'll be 13 years since my 2004 run

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
10/8/16 3:57 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

2017 could have a lot of Utes at The Challenge. I'm guessing this was the allure that drew you to return.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/8/16 4:03 p.m.
DrBoost wrote: I'm No SVreX or Alfadriver, but I plan to return next year. That'll be 13 years since my 2004 run

Huh. Didn't realize you had been.

2004 was my first year...

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/8/16 5:45 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: In reply to DrBoost: 2017 could have a lot of Utes at The Challenge. I'm guessing this was the allure that drew you to return.

Shhhh. Don't tell anyone

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
10/8/16 5:45 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
DrBoost wrote: I'm No SVreX or Alfadriver, but I plan to return next year. That'll be 13 years since my 2004 run
Huh. Didn't realize you had been. 2004 was my first year...

I remember meeting you and Alfa there.

Gasoline
Gasoline SuperDork
10/10/16 4:01 p.m.

Safety: I am executing a plan on a (hopefully) fast car. I picked up a used chute at the Goodguys Swapmeet in Ft. Worth 2 weeks ago. High hopes.

Personally, I wish I could use reach out to an actual Challenge Tech Safety Marshal "pre-check" this candidate before the event.

I certainly don't want to show up with a Texas mystery car and have safety tech see it for the first time. Weeks before the event I would like to start a conversation with an "actual" safety tech guru about what number? I plan on running and satisfy his safety requirements to run the number (within budget).

Yes, I can send pictures of questionable items, in advance, and he creates a check list of things he expects to see at the event on the car....driveshaft hoops, rubber fuel line lengths, no fuel regulators mounted to the firewall, no holes in the firewall, transmission scatter-shield, etc. I hope it is transparent and clear I have the safety items in place. The car is then no surprise and he is bored, and it passes his "pre-check" boxes.

I don't know doo-doo about autocross. If it passes the safety Drag portion, could it possibly? flunk the Autocross safety portion of the event?

I've drag raced at many tracks and it is a crapshoot when getting a car thru tech. Some are picky and some don't bother to look at the car. A few times I have had to go back thru tech after running a decent number.

I also don't want to take a budget hit for safety stuff I don't really need. Say? Simpson 5pt harness/seat belt, brand new out of the box and on the car, but a year out of SFI date. It passes all test & tune/grudge tracks, but strictly letter of the law it should be recertified. Also NHRA PRO/Sportsman 4&6 requires a license for 9.99 and quicker or 135 and greater MPH. Would I need to add the cost of the license to the budget or better to jump on the brakes, smoke the tires, and keep it under 135?

Optimistic the bar can be raised, but I do understand it is a juggling act to meet the rules including safety. Maybe 135mph/150mph or <9.9 is a solid cost wall that is the true $$$ limits of the event.

I know Les and think he could build a chute car if he wanted to.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
v4j2ekpD8boDRlMXIMaOSyyZDuTj9EiCtjJy6ZQrUE657sZhYr740VhqSyhbteQG