Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/23/17 10:33 p.m.
feature_image

Honda’s Civic Touring comes with a 1.5-liter turbocharged 4-cylinder that puts down about 180 horsepower. That little engine can also get you 36 mpg on the highway. Our test car came in a striking shade of red and an athletic look.

Read the rest of the story

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/24/17 9:23 a.m.

I was curious to see what people thought of these. To me, it seems to tick all the right boxes (hatch, manual, turbo, good mpg, good price). But I was wondering if the power would be enough.

Then I started seeing video of these beating 9th Gen Si's (stock!) and was even more intrigued. Then I saw this tune from K-Tuner that bumps up the psi and hp/tq:

I feel like I need to put these on the short list, once they can keep them on the dealer lots for more than a day.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/17 11:02 a.m.

Yeah, that new turbo engine is nice. Mrs. Editor drives a 2014 Civic Si and, yes, it's an interesting comparison. The Si still feels snappier, though. I think a lot of that is in the gearbox--sportier ratios and a lighter flywheel. I say that without actually looking at any numbers, though. Be interesting to compare.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
5/24/17 11:05 a.m.

A coupe is on my short list for my next DD.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/24/17 1:54 p.m.

Yes the 9th gen Si doesn't win in a straight line; but, the LSD/trans make it much more fun to drive hard. I'm sad to see the two-tier dash go away too. One of my favorite things from the last two generations of civic. I'm having a hard time liking the coupe and sedan of the 10th gen. The hatch is great though.

David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, that new turbo engine is nice. Mrs. Editor drives a 2014 Civic Si and, yes, it's an interesting comparison. The Si still feels snappier, though. I think a lot of that is in the gearbox--sportier ratios and a lighter flywheel. I say that without actually looking at any numbers, though. Be interesting to compare.
JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/24/17 3:05 p.m.

Gah, those jowls. I think the current Civic may be even uglier than a Toyota Yaris iA.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
5/24/17 8:46 p.m.

I wouldn't mind if they put this power plant in the Fit. It'd be like the old Civic hatches of yesteryear (almost)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A9Dt1MqmIoUoKJ1R9sWGa6leu0tE9BvydGP928WuVFVxLiG9lbDoce30nLNmf8pm