1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/23/17 2:45 p.m.
feature_image

We're big fans of the Mazda MX-5. Now Mazda went and put a retractable fastback on their fourth-generation car. So, does it kill the roadster spirit or does it make the car that much better?

Our test car was a Grand Touring model, which meant it came standard niceties like leather heated seats, navigation, heated mirrors, automatic headlights and many …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/24/17 11:10 a.m.

So, this or a BRZ/86/FR-S? Or is it a no-brainer?

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/24/17 12:29 p.m.

I haven't driven one yet, but I did sit in one. If you are of a somewhat larger size, you may want to look at a BRZ. It was cramped way more than I was expecting. It's the nicest Miata I've ever been in, and made my '93 pretty dated, but the '93 has more room. I was a bit disappointed in that regard. I'm sure it drives great however. This one was sold so they wouldn't let me find out.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/24/17 12:33 p.m.

I sat in one at the dealership. It fits and feels very much like my '96 with high-back race seats and big fat dual-diagonal rollbar, except much nicer inside. I could get pretty comfortable in one. I'm trying to get DW to consider one to replace her TSX next year, since we don't both need 4 doors on a daily basis any more.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
5/24/17 1:30 p.m.

I would trade the FRS for that in a heartbeat. Bet it hits close to $50k all-in here in Canukland

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/24/17 1:36 p.m.

I love the RF. It's actually got me seriously considering selling my turbo 1990 and picking one up. It's not the car that's stopping me but the thought of a car payment :)

Interesting that Mazda sent you a GT. And also interesting that you didn't mention the massive improvement in the steering - much better self-centering at the straight-ahead and better calibrated assist. The RF is a better handling car than the soft top. And apparently all the time was spent on the Club, which is the weaker of the two soft top chassis in my opinion. C'mon guys, you did drive the car more than just up and down the highway, right?

I think they're sensitive to window adjustment, which can add some wuffling right beside your ears. And if you actually check the decibel level in the interior, I think it's quieter. Just like older Miatas with hardtops, the actual noise level is lower but you don't realize it until you notice that the stereo isn't turned up so loud. IIRC, I saw a drop when I measured ours at highway cruise.

Blaise
Blaise Reader
5/24/17 1:39 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: So, this or a BRZ/86/FR-S? Or is it a no-brainer?

Likely height dependent. At 6'2, I'm claustrophobic in the RF with the top up. In the 86 I fit great.

Keith Tanner
5/24/17 1:50 p.m.

IIRC the RF loses 3/4" of headroom over the soft top - tops up, of course. And it's looking very much like a roll bar is not possible.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/24/17 3:14 p.m.

I was at the mazda dealer for the takata recall on my 6 and checked out the RF. It was beautiful. But all six Miatas at the dealer were automatics. That seemed so strange to me. Like finding a bunch of 2wd jeep wranglers in a row.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/24/17 4:22 p.m.

Is the RF considered a convertible for track purposes?

Is that a rollbar behind the seats like the convertible has?

Keith Tanner
5/24/17 9:34 p.m.

I would consider it a convertible. That top is not structural. It has the same roll hoops as the convertible.

We're looking at doing an upgraded version of the stock hoops - a proper bar made of DOM steel and attaching at the (strong) stock locations. No rear braces, though. There's nowhere for them to go.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/25/17 1:47 a.m.

I want one in white.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller Reader
5/25/17 6:10 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner: Love the RF and would consider a used one in a couple years but if you can't track it, that would make me walk away.

Lugnut
Lugnut Dork
5/25/17 9:14 a.m.
rustybugkiller wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Love the RF and would consider a used one in a couple years but if you can't track it, that would make me walk away.

Ditto.

I would love a proper hard-top coupe. Or a non-power Targa-style RF with a fixed fastback (as long as the roof fits somewhere in the car when removed).

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/25/17 9:22 a.m.

I bet you could get a custom rollbar installed if you were willing to forego the opening of the roof.

Keith Tanner
5/25/17 10:28 a.m.

A lot of have people have claimed that's what they want. Which means that eventually someone will come out with the product, and I predict that about 2 people will want one enough to pay actual money for it. Lots of talk, but talk on the internet is worth absolutely nothing. By the time an RF is cheap enough that people will cut one up, it'll be in the "but I only paid $x for the car!" category.

If you want a track car, get the soft top. Easy solve.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/17 11:46 a.m.

And if you want a rallycross car, get the RF.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/25/17 12:55 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I have no doubt there's not enough of a market for a manufactured roll bar. That's why I said "custom." What I was picturing was: take it to a roll cage shop, pay them $1500, and they'll put in a roll bar. Pull the fuse for the power top. Maybe I'm off on my cost estimate, though.

Kylini
Kylini Dork
5/25/17 1:50 p.m.
captdownshift wrote: And if you want a rallycross car, get the RF.

Did SCCA greenlight it as a roofed vehicle or is it still considered a convertible?

If it's good for RallyCross, it's also good for SCCA PDX (bolt in hardtop = not a convertible even though it too isn't structural).

Keith Tanner
5/25/17 4:05 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: I have no doubt there's not enough of a market for a manufactured roll bar. That's why I said "custom." What I was picturing was: take it to a roll cage shop, pay them $1500, and they'll put in a roll bar. Pull the fuse for the power top. Maybe I'm off on my cost estimate, though.

What you're missing is that there's nowhere to put the rollbar. You'd have to gut the roof mechanisms and come up with a way to mount the panels and glass to a cage. You're off on your estimate by a factor of 2-3 at least.

Btw, Mazda looked into this for the GC cars.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
5/25/17 4:15 p.m.

Dang, seems I did miss that. For some reason I pictured the inside being relatively open but the difficulty in being allowing space for the roof folding mechanism to operate. Seems I was mistaken.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/25/17 4:18 p.m.

Could you do it by replacing the seat-hoops with real roll hoops, and then instead of a rear brace, putting it in through the passenger seat? Passengers are overrated anyways. (and I realize that this is silly and the answer is to just use the soft-top)

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/17 5:43 p.m.
mtn wrote: Could you do it by replacing the seat-hoops with real roll hoops, and then instead of a rear brace, putting it in through the passenger seat? Passengers are overrated anyways. (and I realize that this is silly and the answer is to just use the soft-top)

Isn't that similar to the bar for the NC PRHT? Or am I misremembering how it works?

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/25/17 9:09 p.m.

In reply to Kylini:

For rallycross anything with a factory hardtop is a go. That would count as a hardtop, not sure if PDX had cleared it.

Keith Tanner
5/25/17 10:39 p.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote:
mtn wrote: Could you do it by replacing the seat-hoops with real roll hoops, and then instead of a rear brace, putting it in through the passenger seat? Passengers are overrated anyways. (and I realize that this is silly and the answer is to just use the soft-top)
Isn't that similar to the bar for the NC PRHT? Or am I misremembering how it works?

The NC PRHT bar is too short to be effective, but a Petty might work in this case. The only real problem with that is that you can't take a passenger with tha Petty installed. I'll take a look at it - we have some ideas already.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CZUZAxnWj1BBCg47piXI34JSvjznnMc6AOPmXbvnosTrgICrEGL8Z8ulxOzclHcH