1 2 3 4
pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/26/17 10:18 a.m.

Last year I pretty much decided I was through with the rather odd tradition of building a car in the parking lot for the Challenge. Now that some time has passed I am thinking of coordinating it again.

Thanks to johnrw the enabler I am considering a PT Cruiser GT truck conversion.

Here is my thoughts on the idea. Start out Thursday morning with a stock PT Cruiser GT. Remove interior. Cut roof behind front seats. Move hatch piece from back to behind front seat. Add pickup bed stuff. Weld things. Perform shoddy body work. Spray paint. Crank up boost. Win!

Thoughts? Anyone willing to help?

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/17 10:20 a.m.

Not much I can do outside of cut things and fetch tools, but I'll be happy to help out.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/26/17 10:21 a.m.

I'll help if I can. Can I call dibs to buy it after the Challenge? You know assuming it survives.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
1/26/17 10:23 a.m.

It's far too early to say whether I'll be able to make it down there again, but if I'm there then I'm in.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/26/17 10:25 a.m.

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
1/26/17 10:30 a.m.

I'm considering flying in for the weekend. If I can make it work, I'm definitely in for helping in any way I can!

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/26/17 10:31 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

You can fly into Jax this time. I can pick you up at the airport.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
1/26/17 10:36 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

Thanks for the offer! We'll have to see, it's the weekend before a major stage rally and I'm already pushing the boundaries of my companies time off policies this year.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/17 11:17 a.m.

I'm not going to say or suggest you should convert it to mid engined. That idea would be silly and impossible. There simply is no way you guys could pull it off. ..

I'm won't even mention that a Fiero front subframe shares a bolt pattern with the PT cruiser and is self contained with k member mounted rack making the entire OEM dodge subframe simply relocatable. Neither will I mention that large brake junkyard options exist for the Fiero suspension.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/26/17 11:24 a.m.

Please also do not consider that the Fiero track width is 59.5" to the PTs 58.3 and that wheel centerbore is identical at 57.1.

That would be irresponsible to tell you..

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 MegaDork
1/26/17 11:30 a.m.

I said to myself that this was they year I was coming to the event but not bringing a car. I am all about this parking lot build being my main focus for this year!

You can count on my for help both pre and post event as usual.

If the car has 16" rims I have tons of rubber to contribute to the cause.
One event, great shape, on the 16" BFG R1's in 225/50/16.
Also in the same size I have RS3's (good shape) and RE71's (pretty worn)

It would also be great if we could get the turbo Dodge, SDAC (Shelby Dodge Auto Club) guys to wave some of their magic over this project.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/26/17 11:42 a.m.
nocones wrote: I'm not going to say or suggest you should convert it to mid engined. That idea would be silly and impossible. There simply is no way you guys could pull it off. .. I'm won't even mention that a Fiero front subframe shares a bolt pattern with the PT cruiser and is self contained with k member mounted rack making the entire OEM dodge subframe simply relocatable. Neither will I mention that large brake junkyard options exist for the Fiero suspension.

Add the front sub, suspension, and engine from an additional PeePee Smoocher in the bed. Twin engine, AWD.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/26/17 11:56 a.m.

Welo, looks like I know what I'm doing if i dont manage to drag a rolling tetanus heap there, myself.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/17 11:58 a.m.

In reply to pimpm3:

You forgot to add "replace the obliterated stock control arm bushings" to your list.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman HalfDork
1/26/17 12:09 p.m.

Delay over thinking this until the LT1 is running in the S10.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/26/17 12:12 p.m.

Suspension is almost done, one more corner to go. Once it's out of the way lt1 is next.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/26/17 12:12 p.m.

Shouldn't these be called un-builds since most of the mods are done with a Sawzall?

I should be there and will gladly help if needed. Probably be best to keep the power tools out of my hands; parts runs and the all important sandwiches for lunch are probably more my speed...

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
1/26/17 12:40 p.m.

My S10 is going to be beat by the parking lot build.

I should be there on Thursday afternoon/evening, and able to contribute a bit if there is still work to be done. Hopefully, I'll have wae with me. He has a little bit of experience with 2.4 turbos.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/26/17 12:47 p.m.

It'll be a lot of effort to manage making it into a 2 door ute, and the chassis wasn't renowned for it's side impact scores. Except things to get...flexy.

I recommend finding a cheap rampage and swapping the 2.4L Turbo into it:

I'm sure once complete that it would easily fund next year's efforts at sale.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/17 1:30 p.m.

i got angered at by my wife because apparently while i was piecing together the parking lot nitrous kit my kids were running around all nuts in the hotel room expecting me to return to take them to the pool.

i'll watch from the pool deck next year, but x2 on neuman's thought.

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
1/26/17 1:32 p.m.

wait...wait...get this... dueling parking lot builds... like... 2... at once.

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
1/26/17 2:02 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote: wait...wait...get this... dueling parking lot builds... like... 2... at once.

2 pt losers, same basic options(turbo), GO!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/26/17 2:21 p.m.
nocones wrote: Please also do not consider that the Fiero track width is 59.5" to the PTs 58.3 and that wheel centerbore is identical at 57.1. That would be irresponsible to tell you..

And CERTAINLY do NOT consider the fact that pimpn3 has a Fiero sitting at his house, which could be zeroed in the budget.

THAT would be completely irresponsible to mention.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
1/26/17 7:50 p.m.
patgizz wrote:
NordicSaab wrote: wait...wait...get this... dueling parking lot builds... like... 2... at once.
2 pt losers, same basic options(turbo), GO!

This sounds like some sort of berkeleyed up low buck junkyard wars. Rad.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
1/27/17 6:46 a.m.

I don't hate the idea

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0ssfUFZ2lPxUGtVi1IZTtB0xpFv3uPL2WxLCj42Kk9vPkBTc2qWDJDU8yykqDo7E