Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
3/23/17 10:59 a.m.
feature_image

The quintessential European hatchback continues to pour out of Volkswagen's plants. Our test car featured four doors, a turbocharged 4-cylinder engine and a 6-speed automatic transmission. How much will it set you back? This one was outfitted with some nice features and was quoted at $25,445, but Golfs start at about $19,000.

Read the rest of the story

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/17 4:21 p.m.

Black Forest Industries is making a project out of one of these instead of getting a GTI. You should see if they want to advertise on your page

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/17 5:17 p.m.

I want to like the new VWs so bad. I had terrible luck with the handful of older ones I've owned, but I want to think they've improved. Unfortunately every time I start considering them something else comes out about poorly designed timing chain tensioners killing engines, or cams breaking, or Dieselgate, etc that just makes me super reluctant to trust their vehicles.

Clarty
Clarty Reader
3/23/17 9:19 p.m.

I bought a new, red 2016 Golf S 5-speed in July and have since driven the car over 12,000 miles. It's been an utterly joyous experience. Mine's the S trim level, which is one step down from your test car, but it's still well-equipped. The only thing I really miss is heated seats, but my old W126 didn't have those either. Enthusiasts tend to dismiss the lower trims, with the 5-speed box and 15" wheels, but mine cost me just over $17,000 (msrp over $21,000) and the base engine is decently quick and efficient. I am sad the Golf is available with a manual only in the lower trims, but I actually prefer lower trim levels. I haven't had a leaky sunroof or other problems. I do wonder how the radio will hold up after a decade and 200,000 miles. I'm 49, have a wife, young kid and two border collies. The lowly Golf is a magnificent little car for our small family.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/23/17 9:35 p.m.
Clarty wrote: two border collies.

If you think nothing of having two border collies, you're probably willing to put up with all kinds of insanity on a day to day basis, though.

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
3/27/17 12:34 p.m.

Compelling package and price point for sure.

MattW
MattW Reader
3/27/17 2:24 p.m.

I hate new cars and hate their pricing but this really is a good value.

I hate all of you that can afford a new car too.

The end.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cGgJFAjmLIzd9rMTAz8XkBnt2vK5Or8AldjPIrBfXXDzC5grtR4dNtZXRPWoL66h