Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
2/13/19 3:01 p.m.
feature_image

Review by Tim Suddard

Motor Trend kicked off their review of the X2 on a rather high note: "The BMW X2 hits the mark perfectly for a Dual-Income No-Kids household. For everyone else, though, it's long on sport and short on utility."

Publisher Tim Suddard recently spent some time with an X2. He was less enthralled:

Ever since it came …

Read the rest of the story

M2Pilot
M2Pilot Dork
2/13/19 8:21 p.m.

I had an X2 for a loaner a couple of months ago. It was OK but I don't think I'd buy one. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/13/19 8:24 p.m.

I had an X1 on loan for a couple of weeks. The suspension was both harsh and floaty, which is a really difficult trick to pull off. It was a fundamentally terrible vehicle with a lot of pretty tech pasted on top. 

02Pilot
02Pilot SuperDork
2/13/19 8:49 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

I had an X1 on loan for a couple of weeks. The suspension was both harsh and floaty, which is a really difficult trick to pull off. It was a fundamentally terrible vehicle with a lot of pretty tech pasted on top. 

I had an X1 as a loaner when my 128i was getting a recall taken care of at the dealer. I agree entirely with your assessment. As a long-time BMW owner, it provoked a disturbing realization of just how far the Bavarians have strayed from the One True Path. It made me sad.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/13/19 9:43 p.m.

That color though! 

rothwem
rothwem New Reader
2/14/19 7:18 a.m.

The 2013 X1 was just an E91 with a slightly taller body.  It didn't get turned into a transverse engined Mini until 2016.  And just FYI, 2013-2015 X1s were available with the 300 Hp N55, which basically makes it the last inline 6 BMW wagon available in the states.  

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/14/19 10:23 a.m.

The X1 I drove would have been a 2016 or 17 model. I lost respect for both MINI and BMW due to that car. Big props to Schomp BMW for taking care of me with the loaner, but thumbs down for the vehicle engineers and beancounters on that one.

BMWguy
BMWguy
2/15/19 11:53 p.m.

In reply to rothwem :

The first gen X1 is quite a good all-rounder.  As said above, it is based on the 3 series wagon.  Mine has the N55 and I use it as my daily driver which provides great utility.  I also enjoy its stealth performance attributes on BMW club drives, where I inevitably receive comments along the lines of  "I kept looking in my mirror and saying that can't be an SUV staying with my (Z4, 335i, M3, 650, etc.).  Or, "how can that SUV pull away like that?" It's good fun I must say.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zV7CuYqnK6l9UZe17UT9JhsJH1k1uoQ8UigI2r56s54kVCwOuxFnXsb1FAxiua3t