David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/18/18 1:41 p.m.
feature_image

Kona. Just the name conjures up images of sunny beaches, relaxing days and fruity drinks decorated with those little umbrellas.

Now Kona has another meaning. The Hyundai Koni is the brand’s first entry into the B-segment crossover market. While Kona might be far from big city hustle and bustle, in Hyundai-speak it’s built for “Urban Adventurers.”

The lower-spec cars–starting MSRP …

Read the rest of the story

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/18/18 1:58 p.m.

So Kona, CX-3, or C-HR if you had to choose?

Would the entire package be made better by the upcoming electric version?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/18/18 1:59 p.m.

I was just looking at these. Intriguing little cars. err...suv....err...vehicles.

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
6/18/18 2:05 p.m.

That's some mighty weird headlight positioning. Really reminds me a lot of the Aztek.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
6/18/18 3:02 p.m.

In reply to The0retical :

I'd give the HR-V from Honda a serious look as it's available with a manual trans.  I don't believe any of the others are at this time.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
6/18/18 3:30 p.m.

looks like the jeep that everyone hated. 

and another car where people think the DRL is their low beam and will be driving around with essentially running lamps at night... god people are dumb... 

spandak
spandak Reader
6/18/18 3:35 p.m.

Don’t forget the crosstrek. It’s smack in the middle of the that market and it’s arguably the best offering currently. 

That is if AWD is on your list. 

David S. Wallens
6/19/18 9:51 a.m.
ultraclyde said:

I was just looking at these. Intriguing little cars. err...suv....err...vehicles.

They're like modern little people-movers. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
6/19/18 10:13 a.m.
fidelity101 said:

and another car where people think the DRL is their low beam and will be driving around with essentially running lamps at night... god people are dumb... 

I accidentally did it in a rental 2015 Focus. The DRL on the Focus were brighter than the low beams on the 2003 Corolla that was in the shop. If you assume they're automatic (which was a reasonable assumption, as I could see in the dark), how does that make people dumb? I'd never have known if I didn't get pulled over. Cop was stunned too when I pointed out the illuminated road in front of me. 

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
6/19/18 2:26 p.m.

There are a few reviews of the Kona on YouTube, and ALL of them mention that momentary "stutter" when you pull away from a stop. 

I want to like this...car(?), but some of the styling touches are a bit....too much.  Like the flat black surrounds to the rear light clusters. 

The0retical
The0retical UltraDork
6/19/18 3:02 p.m.

In reply to pres589 :

I'm really holding out for the electric version if it ever comes stateside. Between the Niro, Kona, and Bolt it's highly probable I'm going to end up with an electric cute ute. The question is which one.

Edit: I'm actually drawn the styling of the Kona.

David S. Wallens
6/19/18 3:03 p.m.
Carsandbikes said:

There are a few reviews of the Kona on YouTube, and ALL of them mention that momentary "stutter" when you pull away from a stop. 

I want to like this...car(?), but some of the styling touches are a bit....too much.  Like the flat black surrounds to the rear light clusters. 

Our tester was white. I thought that it all looked good in that color 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/19/18 3:11 p.m.
Carsandbikes said:

Every time I see a statement like this I hear it being said in 1959 ... "I want to like this...Cadillac, but some of the styling touches are a bit....too much. Those fins are just ridiculous when they're that big."

I guess my point is the stuff that we often see as too weird to be like-able are the very elements that make a car stand out from the crowd enough to be valued when looking back at them..

David S. Wallens
6/19/18 3:13 p.m.

See also: All cars are boring and look alike. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
6/19/18 3:19 p.m.
mtn said:
fidelity101 said:

I accidentally did it in a rental 2015 Focus. The DRL on the Focus were brighter than the low beams on the 2003 Corolla that was in the shop. If you assume they're automatic (which was a reasonable assumption, as I could see in the dark), how does that make people dumb? I'd never have known if I didn't get pulled over. Cop was stunned too when I pointed out the illuminated road in front of me. 

Its a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear

I'm a bit biased because I have worked several years in OEM lighting. 

a lot of the times the low or high beam isn't automatic (that is becoming more common though) but the DRL dims when you use your low beam/high beam but what I hate is that im flashing my brights at people and they look at me confused when i am trying to signal to them their lights aren't on. and inside the cab all of the new cars have bright display dashboards so you never think the wiser.  I would not be surprised if many people in the general public think those are their low beams. 

you have an excuse because its a rental car in something you dont own or have ever owned and driven, but typically these are people's every day car that they have owned for years.

You can spot the Cherokees clear as day as the front is lit up but there is not tail function on the rear lamps and its all dark back there until they hit the brakes. 

Also ford's DRL spec for lumen output on the road is pretty ignorant, not too far off from a low beam in regards to lumens

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/18 8:55 p.m.
Carsandbikes said:

I am thinking cheap(er) repair if you back into something. No paint to match to the body

Mainia
Mainia New Reader
4/12/20 10:43 a.m.

I find this review to be very flawed. Some of the testers comments don't seem to jive with the car tested. If we go by the picture ( Kona SEL AWD) and the specs,  it is an awfully slow Kona that WOULD match the awfully slow Toyota C-HR. The  Kona engine posted is a 2.0 liter slug, but the specs listed list the large brakes and tires of the Ultimate. In the posted header of this review it says it is an Ultimate. The Ultimate and Limited have the 1.6T motor that does a Car & Driver speced 0-60 in 6.6 seconds in AWD and 6.5 in FWD that far exceeds the C&D 0-60 time of 11 seconds in Toyota C-HR.

The stock 1.6T AWD handles good for a stocker and uses a well dampened soft spring/large front and swaybar concept,  1 inch front and rear with  ZERO static front camber killing handling it in the corners. Massive front nose dive on braking, that can be curerd with Eibach lowering springs.

I own a lowerd (2 inches) and modified Kona AWD 1.6T AWD and with the AWD being  fantastic in the corners. The rear diff is about 4 to 5 inches lower then the VW Golf R for added lower center mass. I have Eibachs and  have converted all the struts and shocks out of the 2019 Elanta GT N-Line that was tuned at Nurenburgring, and am running 1.5 neg camber on all 4's and spring rubbers with front custom Whiteline hiem balled bushings. Waiting on Whiteline for rear Hyundai Multi-LInk rear bushings.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/showcase/2018-kona-awd-1-6t-lowered.1162/

The stumbling goes away with time once the DCT breaks in. That is IF we are taking the Limited and Ulimate Kona with the DCT trans.  With miles you do need to spray CRC GDI cleaner in the intake every 15,000 if you find a stumble that comes back. That has fixed mine twice. Also many take out the intake muffler that screws up smooth aie flow.

https://www.hyundaikonaforum.com/threads/intake-resonator-install.2578/#post-23116

As the above poster commenting on the unpainted fender clading, the SE and SEL have unpainted clading, the Limited and Ultimate have blackish metalic painted clading.

https://scontent.ffcm1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/69544153_1334270990069081_1283895669009940480_n.jpg?_nc_cat=107&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=WIrxRqQZwrQAX_oI1-f&_nc_ht=scontent.ffcm1-2.fna&oh=77ea48472a25de64d2fc9229d4adf61f&oe=5EB8C6C4

SEMA Show Kona.

https://static.cargurus.com/images/forsale/2020/02/19/07/24/2018_hyundai_kona-pic-2530738000341295579-1024x768.jpeg

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
4/12/20 11:39 a.m.

That doesn't look bad lowered.  When you switch to Elantra stuff, does that lower it without killing all the suspension travel?  (Like a Forester using WRX struts)

_
_ Dork
4/12/20 6:32 p.m.

The CHr or whatever it's called is only fwd trash corolla. 

the Kona looks good, but how is the awd? Does it "disengage" at a certain mph? Does it go full full 50:50? If not, wipe it off the list of engaging awd cuvs. My crosstrek is awd anytime I want it. Full donuts are accomplished EVEN with the nannies on. 

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 SuperDork
4/12/20 6:39 p.m.
The0retical said:

So Kona, CX-3, or C-HR if you had to choose?

Would the entire package be made better by the upcoming electric version?

Don't forget the Mazda 3 awd

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/12/20 7:49 p.m.

In Canada we get the Kona electric and Kia Niro electric I am considering allowing myself to be assimilated in the collective.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZADwt2l0lc1bpgzwlMQp64ekwseul8tUFFOCmcFPnwiih5QQJ2ouVbGYND6ubkg