David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/2/18 2:07 p.m.
feature_image

The Toyota C-HR is new for the 2018 model year and, yes, its looks are a bit extreme. Even the headline on Toyota’s own media site acknowledges that fact: “2018 Toyota C-HR Shifts the CUV Paradigm With Stunning Style, Driving Dynamics and Versatility.”

So, what is the C-HR? The letters stand for Coupe High-Rider and, in basic terms, it’s the …

Read the rest of the story

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
5/2/18 2:11 p.m.

"Stunning style" and "the C-HR doesn't only look great" I want whatever the people at Toyota took to make them think that.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/2/18 2:44 p.m.

Front wheel drive only in a market that demands all wheel drive every single time for this vehicle class. I mark this as a two-year only car from Toyota. The massive design flaw is the lack of an all-wheel-drive system, yet a price that demands all wheel drive. 

Don’t believe me? Go ahead and look up every single CUV and tell me there isn’t one that doesn’t have all wheel drive as at least an option 

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/2/18 3:31 p.m.

I am even surprised by the number of people who buy the X series BMWs or Mercedes 4 matics when I live in the south, people way overestimate the need for it and also its ability to make a difference without proper tires

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/3/18 7:32 a.m.

I'm guessing somebody pitched "We need to do something to capitalize on the success of the Nissan Juke" at a Toyota board meeting as a joke, and it fell so flat that the would-be comedian pretended to be serious.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
5/3/18 9:05 a.m.
Jaynen said:

I am even surprised by the number of people who buy the X series BMWs or Mercedes 4 matics when I live in the south, people way overestimate the need for it and also its ability to make a difference without proper tires

Not the south here in Ohio, but maybe dealers there do the same thing.  I’m reasonably certain every low trim line 3 series on the lot at the local BMW dealer is all wheel drive.  No choice, unless you want to special order, which I’m betting few people do for a lease.

As for the C-HR, I think it’s butt ugly, but I am seeing a decent number of them on the streets here.  I personally have no issue with FWD in a crossover (actually looked for it when I was shopping for a Highlander/RX330 a few years back), but I’m not a good representation of the masses.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/18 9:44 a.m.

I don't think it is awful actually, if it was fun I wouldn't turn it away.

That said, I can't wait till the common thing becomes "chopping" cuvs to get them lower and sleeker again. 

Our cuvs look like cars from the 40s.

penultimeta
penultimeta HalfDork
5/3/18 10:17 a.m.

Eh. Same trend with Honda styling wise. I don't get it, but I'm kinda over "hating" it. I'll just take my business elsewhere (Germany or Korea) to get the styling and driving experience I want. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/18 9:49 a.m.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0p9wpPHSMNXDXa9BQ80Ap3vN1JhnInhhE1JOxZGWrlBPOQqpgVLNwASqXHHgJxKV