David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/18 2:44 p.m.
feature_image

The Toyota Tundra is a big truck, and the updates for 2018 only reinforce that fact: beefier front-end styling and, starting this year, an all-four-door lineup. “Reflecting ongoing trends in the segment,” the release states.

More bigness: Only V8 engines are offered–still either the 4.6- or 5.7-liter. Properly equipped, a Tundra can tow 10,200 pounds.

Toyota is also very eager …

Read the rest of the story

Carsandbikes
Carsandbikes New Reader
5/22/18 4:07 p.m.

"....reflecting ongoing trends in the segment".

In other words, EVERY other full-sized truck has this feature, and we have finally decided to get with the program, too. 

Like nearly every other Toyota vehicle, this truck is THE most conservative product in it's class.  The domestic truck manufacturers should thank their lucky stars that Toyota (seems to) believe that the key to sales success is inoffensive products. Can you imagine Toyota being brave enough to build a true Raptor-type truck....and not just a look alike?  

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/22/18 4:41 p.m.

To clarify on that Four Door statement: 

They don't make a regular cab anymore, but they do make two different types of four door pickups. They also make ones with smaller rear doors called the Double Cab:

My dad has a 2008 SR5 Double cab, and aside from some slight trim changes, it's the same truck. You can actually fit adults in the back of these ones, and they have a real bench seat that folds up for added storage. 

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
5/22/18 5:02 p.m.

Was always a Ford truck guy - had 4 or 5 of them. My last one spit out a spark plug cruising down the highway somewhere outside of east Nowhere, Alabama (at night). That was the end of Ford for me. About 3 days later I bought a year old Tundra. Got the Toyota given the reliability reputation. Nice generic truck with great power and the second best towing truck owned to date albeit crappy gas mileage around town. Depreciation is a wonderful thing. 

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/22/18 5:28 p.m.

In reply to Tony Sestito :

My dad had a '14 Crew Max that he traded last year for a '17 Double cab. The Crew Max is just ridiculous, rear seat legroom of a limo. I'm 6'3" and could stretch my legs out fully without touching the front seats. The Double cab is still perfectly comfortable for me, and the increase in bedspace is more than worth the trade off. If you ever want to actually use one of these as a truck, you will miss the space in the bed much more than the cab.

I should also point out that the only reason my dad traded the first truck to begin with was because they offered him $3k less on trade than he paid for it new, needing $1k worth of tires to boot. The resale on these is insane. Plus, he ended up with a truck closer to the spec he wanted in the first place, the cab/bed configuration especially.

MazdaFace
MazdaFace HalfDork
5/22/18 5:44 p.m.

Love love love the 1794. Give me one in cavalry blue and I'd never drive another truck. 

NordicSaab
NordicSaab HalfDork
5/22/18 6:41 p.m.

Just bought a '17 with the 1794 package. It has just about everything you could ever want without the cutting edge nonsense. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
5/22/18 7:57 p.m.

I used to hate the body style on these but its growing on me a lot. One in that fabulous cavalry blue, double cab and 4x4 would suit me fine.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
5/22/18 9:38 p.m.

Can you get a front seat arrangement that seats three? Or put another way, can I buckle all six of us up in one?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/23/18 7:38 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce - Seth :

I know on the older ones, like my dad's 2008 SR5, you can get it configured that way. We've stuffed six of us in that thing on occasion. If it's the same way it used to be, the lower trim levels have a 40/20/40 front bench with a fold-down armrest AND storage under the seat. 

Jaynen
Jaynen UltraDork
5/23/18 8:34 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Can you get a front seat arrangement that seats three? Or put another way, can I buckle all six of us up in one?

If you look at some of the "work truck" spec'd ones etc they still have a front bench. The telltale is to look for the shifter on the column some of the SR-5 ones also

TR7
TR7 Reader
5/23/18 9:31 a.m.

If I ever need a new truck I am going to be very unhappy by the lack of extended cabs available. I dont need or want a limo with a 4ft bed. What I need is just a bit more extra space behind the front seat to store junk I dont want to keep in the bed, and maybe a jump seat with the small clamshell doors.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/18 9:33 a.m.
TR7 said:

If I ever need a new truck I am going to be very unhappy by the lack of extended cabs available. I dont need or want a limo with a 4ft bed. What I need is just a bit more extra space behind the front seat to store junk I dont want to keep in the bed, and maybe a jump seat with the small clamshell doors.

F150, Colorado/Canyon, or the Tacoma will be your only choices.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
5/23/18 9:37 a.m.

I don't understand how people afford these, I feel like unless you make $150k+ (and that's assuming you live in a place with reasonably priced housing) it would be way too expensive.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/23/18 9:38 a.m.
Tk8398 said:

I don't understand how people afford these, I feel like unless you make $150k+ (and that's assuming you live in a place with reasonably priced housing) it would be way too expensive.

84 and 96 month car loans are becoming popular

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
5/23/18 9:42 a.m.
MrChaos said:
Tk8398 said:

84 and 96 month car loans are becoming popular

They're too expensive.. 96 month loan????  Hello upside down.

TR7
TR7 Reader
5/23/18 10:32 a.m.

In reply to MrChaos :

The F150 is still an option, but the others are not full size trucks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
fTHaj4l79OCXzvggKRvyqCfiv65SjY7Astgste8SWe7USFHUBLZVufX8U4U7QErg