1 2
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/4/18 12:49 p.m.
feature_image

Volkswagen dropped some big news about the Golf R while one was in our hands: colors! Starting with the 2019 model year, the Golf R will be available in 40 custom colors–plus the standard five hues.

From VW’s media site:

VWoA’s Product Marketing team worked in tandem with Volkswagen Canada to select a diverse range of colors for the 2019 …

Read the rest of the story

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/18 2:03 p.m.

Now available in 40 colours, every fanboi will select Nimbus Grey. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
9/4/18 2:10 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Now available in 40 colours, every fanboi will select Nimbus Grey. 

Lambo purple and green is the color I keep hearing getting ordered up north. I see no reason why that would not happen here. 

I love the metallic pink. "Fresh Fuchsia Metallic"

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/4/18 2:15 p.m.

It's too bad it's such a boring looking car. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/18 2:24 p.m.
z31maniac said:

It's too bad it's such a boring looking car. 

That's what I like about it, actually.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/4/18 2:34 p.m.
captdownshift said:

Now available in 40 colours, every Dealer will select Nimbus Grey. 

Fixed that for you...

Run_Away
Run_Away GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/4/18 2:34 p.m.

$43k golf?!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/4/18 3:33 p.m.

In reply to Run_Away :

It really feels more like an Audi than a VW.....if that helps you justify it.   There is no lack of technology or luxury.    

Suprf1y
Suprf1y UltimaDork
9/4/18 3:36 p.m.
Run_Away said:

$43k golf?!

My thoughts as well

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/4/18 3:43 p.m.
Run_Away said:

$43k golf?!

I'm in the market for a new car in the next year and will likely go for the GTI over the R. Why? Because at the end of the year you can find GTI SE (with LSD) at my local dealers for under $25k - while the R's at end of year still go for upper 30s. Not sure the performance (and much worse fuel economy) is worth $15k. For that matter you can still get a WRX for just over $25k or an STi for low 30s with similar performance to the Golf R, at least around here. 

I like what the Golf R offers, but compared to the regular GTI SE, it looks like a bit of a ripoff unless you're a fanboi, with the GTI looking like a bargain.

But, as a current WRX owner, I'll almost certainly be going GTI by this time next year, thanks to VW's new great warranty. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/18 4:09 p.m.
Run_Away said:

$43k golf?!

Well, it's basically an Audi S3 with a Golf body. Which makes it better, IMO, since they don't offer the S3 in a hatch.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/18 4:59 p.m.

only 1100 lbs

Chazooo
Chazooo
9/4/18 6:29 p.m.

My HPDE student just this past weekend was driving one of these and I was very impressed with the car - except for the MT which seemed vague to me and I was not driving it.  It indicated to me the DSG would be the choice to make unless you just enjoy rowing through the gears like racer boy Dan. It is not a late model Porsche 6-speed for sure.  Very nice Germanic interior, solid and rattle-free, extremely quiet so it would be a great road tripper.  In today's world is $40g a lot for a great car?

Ski_Lover
Ski_Lover
9/4/18 6:35 p.m.

1100 lbs. devil wouldn't that be nice. smiley

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
9/4/18 7:24 p.m.

Now why can't Mazda offer the Miata in 40 custom colors? Or at least add a green or yellow.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/4/18 7:45 p.m.

Irish: I'm also a Subaru owner looking to possibly get into a GTI or Golf R.

The 2017 Sport model was exactly what I wanted (Plaid seats, no sunroof, LSD, 220hp) but the 2018 ditched that trim level and went straight to the SE, which has the features I want (LSD, Lighting package) and one I don't (a sunroof). It's a decent value proposition.

I've driven the Golf R and it is an absolute blast, and I absolutely prefer it to the SE but I really can't see buying one of those new and NOT getting a custom color. Which puts it so far out ahead of the SE model in price the it kind of starts to seem like a crazy idea. You're in the same price range as a brand new BMW 330, MSport package with a few options thrown in (build code DPVUXYKB)

That green, though. If I could get a GTI in that green, it would be no contest, but I could probably have a pro vinyl wrap done in that color for a fraction of the price. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
9/4/18 8:02 p.m.

They feel solid in a way that makes them feel heavier than they are. 

Chibana
Chibana New Reader
9/4/18 8:30 p.m.

I actually was not much of a VW fan prior to researching and buying my 2018 (Mk7.5) R.  I chose it because it's simply the best car in its class if you want a properly fast daily driver.  The Focus RS is insane all the time, and the seats are uncomfortable for long hauls and bigger guys like me.  Ride quality is ridiculous on Michigan roads.  I'm also not a big fan of the interior (I owned 2, 2012 Focus Titanium hatchbacks).  The Civic Type-R is ugly and was being marked up $8,000 at my local dealer.

I wanted AWD because my other goal is serious HP through tuning and an upgraded intercooler.  The R is a great tuner vehicle, known to be able to handle at least 400 hp without issue.  Toward that goal, I also opted for the excellent DSG transmission, because it's significantly quicker than the stick, and the difference in acceleration numbers gets bigger the more power you add to the car.  With a TCU tune, it can also handle the increased torque better than the stick.

I've had it now for about 4.5 months and 12,000 miles (yeah, I drive a lot), and it's without a doubt the best DD I've ever owned.  Hopefully the long-term reliability will match my previous DD, my 2014 Mazda3 (that my son now drives).  That car's been amazing through 127,000 miles.

pugwonk
pugwonk
9/4/18 9:19 p.m.

I'm not a VW fan (or an anything fan really) but I instructed someone at a track day who had a 2017 one of these and I drove one session in it. I was amazed by how capable this car was on track. Great handling - you can really throw the car around without feeling like anything bad is going to happen. Suspension, power, brakes all well balanced for the car. I liked the quote about a middle-aged person who still likes to have fun now and again - this is a car you can have a great track day in, and then buy a table and drive it to Alaska in cheery comfort.

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
9/4/18 10:29 p.m.

I drove one before settling on the V.  Really Really Good.  I struggled with the price tag for VW but the performance, handling, and fit were incredible.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/5/18 11:47 a.m.

I was a skeptic for a long time but absolutely love my '16 GTI SE. I just hope it doesn't give me too much grief once I crest 100k. Pro tip: the shifter feel is GREATLY improved with some aftermarket delrin bushings and a replacement of the stock plastic cable guides/levers with metal. No "short shifter" needed.

I do see lots of the Rs both in real life and online so clearly there are a lot of people that feel they are worth the money spent. The GTI does everything I need/want it to for a fraction of the price though.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltraDork
9/5/18 12:39 p.m.

My wife likes several of the colors.  If they were optional on the GTI, it wouldn’t surprise me if she’d trade up her ‘15 to a ‘19.  I doubt she’ll be willing to spend the extra money on the R, though.

0001 New Reader
9/5/18 1:22 p.m.

Started with a Sirocco in 1978, then a GTI in 1984, and back to a MK7 GTI SE/DSG in 2016. The MK7 has a stage 1 APR tune and makes 315HP and 310 Torque, which cost only $800.00.  It is a rocket. Aprox $31,000 all in. The R is an awesome car, but I struggle with that much cost increase....if it was $35,000, it would be the bargain of the century. At +$40,000, it is a tough call, but I think the GTI is much better bang for the dollar.

docwyte
docwyte SuperDork
9/9/18 11:40 a.m.

I want an R.  You have to look at them as a hatchback, 6MT version of an Audi S3, because that's exactly what they are.

It is hard to justify the additional cost vs the GTI SE, ~$15k for awd is a tough choice.  One of my friends just was in that position and decided to get the GTI SE, he bought it brand new for $25,500, so that's a screaming deal.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
9/9/18 3:42 p.m.

I test drove a Golf R several times last year when contemplating my next daily driver. Backseat had to be kid friendly and ultimately I decided to spend more and picked up a used M3. I really enjoyed the car though, it was a nice place to be and seems like a great all-around vehicle. I feel like it's a little harder to justify the more hardcore options like the STI and the Focus RS at this point because they have fallen so far behind other cars. It was a different story in 2004 when the STI and the Evo were giant killers. the class just really hasn't Advanced that much in terms of speed, and the Golf R is such a nice place to be.  They're also pretty mod friendly, they can be made seriously quick with a tune and downpipe while remaining reliable.  That said the increased spending over a GTI is significant and it's a bit hard to justify.  I am loving this big color palette, wish more manufacturers would offer that.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3VWadPCRLzF4SUsPOS2mSwq6dUg5ZOKnRCBGEVgBBOy1BsWpbZAO987ydsYX7ybO