1 2
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/31/19 11:26 a.m.
feature_image

Does the 2019 Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio have the most horsepower for a production SUV? In a word, no. We live in a world where having 505 horsepower under the hood of your SUV doesn’t even place you in the top three. Let that sink in. 

So, if horsepower alone can’t get you in the door, what can? What about …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/31/19 11:47 a.m.

"If building a true performance vehicle, why not start with something that sits a little closer to the deck? Because marketing."

Counterpoint: Because that's what people are buying; given that CUVs rule the market these days and the Stelvio is outselling the Giulia.

What's it actually like to drive?  Is it enough better than the Macan to make it worth all the extra money?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
10/31/19 11:53 a.m.

No problem having a high performance truck.  But could they use some other special designation?

I guess I'll be happy if there's a Veloce version of the car, but not the truck...

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/31/19 11:53 a.m.

guy at my gym has one.. boy does it sound good...  that's all I got.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
10/31/19 12:52 p.m.

Are these as nightmarishly unreliable as the Giulia? A guy that several people in my SCCA chapter know actually owns to Giulia Quadrifoglios so that he has one to drive while the other is in the shop. I'm not even joking.

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
10/31/19 1:30 p.m.

Did you get to drive it before it broke down?  Sunburn from all the dashboard warning lights?

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/31/19 2:15 p.m.

A friend of mine recently got one in pearl white. It's rather understated visually for how fast it is, at least in white.  The comparison with the Macan is an interesting question. My unthinking reaction is that the Macan seems a lot less special, but I wonder if it feels that way too. I've never driven either vehicle. I once chased a Macan around some mountain roads in Banff in a rented Rav4. That was pleasantly pointless, unless it somehow unconsciously contributed to the fact that i now own a Porsche SUV which I'm pretty happy about. Hmmmm. 

Jordan Rimpela
10/31/19 3:44 p.m.

We've yet to have a Macan show up in the parking lot, sadly. As for the Alfa, it picked up a nail in the tire and that was that. When I moved it before they came to pick it up, it was stumbling as it tried to idle. Smoothed out as it warmed up. I can confirm that it sounds nice, at least. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/31/19 3:46 p.m.
NickD said:

Are these as nightmarishly unreliable as the Giulia? A guy that several people in my SCCA chapter know actually owns to Giulia Quadrifoglios so that he has one to drive while the other is in the shop. I'm not even joking.

Asking the real question here.

OjaiM5
OjaiM5 Reader
10/31/19 3:57 p.m.

I drove my friend's dads Giulia Quadrifoglio and it was amazingly fast and epic to drive. I tried to talk my wife into leasing a regular Stelvio but the interior space was not enough for the family.  The lease specials on the Stelvio and Giulia are very tempting, usually around $299 a month. I love the idea of having one, I just don't think I would want one long term.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
10/31/19 4:49 p.m.

The looks - awesome

the sounds - awesome

the price and reliability- walks away

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
10/31/19 8:54 p.m.
Brett_Murphy said:
NickD said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

slowbird
slowbird Dork
10/31/19 8:57 p.m.

I keep getting the name mixed up with this sweetener stuff.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/1/19 5:12 a.m.
MotorsportsGordon said:
Brett_Murphy said:
NickD said:

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a23145269/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-reliability-update/

I know the Giulia is terribly unreliable. I was curious if the Stelvio was better or more of the same.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/1/19 9:53 a.m.

I tried to talk my wife into leasing a regular Stelvio but the interior space was not enough for the family. 

Regular Stelvio is one thing, regular Giulia even worse in a way. I may be the only person who benchraces these things but I sort of think any Giulia under the Quadrifoglio loses comparison to a Stinger GT. Am i crazy? 

Jordan Rimpela
11/1/19 10:20 a.m.

If I absolutely had to choose a high-horsepower SUV, I'd go with the G 63. Under 100k? Jeep Grand Cherokee Trackhawk.  

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon HalfDork
11/1/19 1:28 p.m.
NickD said:
MotorsportsGordon said:
Brett_Murphy said:
NickD said:

I know the Giulia is terribly unreliable. I was curious if the Stelvio was better or more of the same.

Same platform and mechanicals etc so i doubt its anymore reliable.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
11/1/19 6:24 p.m.

I see these pretty much daily around here. And every time I see it, I have to look twice, since it looks like every other boring CUV out there. Pathetic Alfa's design house coudln't make something that looks unique. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
11/1/19 8:27 p.m.

The bar has come up over time. A Urus looks unique... take that as you will...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
11/2/19 10:25 p.m.

There are a bunch of these running around town now. The real question is since nobody actually uses these thing for track /autocross work why not just get the Maserati Levante and get the better name for 20K less then this thing.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
11/3/19 5:36 a.m.
Vigo said:

The bar has come up over time. A Urus looks unique... take that as you will...

The Urus (and the Juke) make me think that if Pontiac introduced the Aztec today, it might be a smash-hit.

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
11/3/19 1:43 p.m.

Cool, another car to add to the list of “never own it if it’s out of warranty” car when people ask me about new cars (BMW, Audi, Range Rover)

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
12/19/22 4:33 p.m.

So... how's the reliability of these things?

docwyte
docwyte PowerDork
12/20/22 10:09 a.m.

In reply to amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) :

Several car mags had one as a long term tester with predictable results.  They have horrible reliability, apparently they can't do more than 2-3 laps without shutting down on track, along with all spots of bad stuff happening on the street.

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
12/23/22 1:54 p.m.

In reply to docwyte :

I'm not surprised. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
51OcmnVLzOKOVOYtLHQs9OE0boQYpfubeS7QfhuMIIwc28Pi3ALHvo5pKq1j3fUe