Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/19/19 2:38 p.m.
feature_image

Sad news: 2019 marks the last year of regular 500 and 500e sales in North America. What’s worse? The 500 Abarth says goodbye, too. For 2020, Fiat soldiers onward with the 500L, 500X and 124.

That leaves our 2019 500C Abarth tester as a bit of a lame duck, but one that we’re sure could be had for a bargain. …

Read the rest of the story

Dootz
Dootz Reader
9/19/19 7:22 p.m.

The Abarth always screamed Genesis Coupe 2.0 to me.

Looks great on paper: lightweight, small turbo engine, great exhaust note, manual option. Despite that, it came off as half-baked when compared to the Fiesta ST. Two doors less and it just isn't able to compete.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
9/19/19 9:33 p.m.

At ~67k miles I still love driving my 2013, but I don't think an auto would work for me.  They didn't offer the auto till 2015 or so I believe, and while people complained I said let them.  If offering an auto keeps them making the thing, by all means go for it.  You still had the manual option.

And at least for me?  #Tonyfixedit.  Replaced an axle that went bad, the other was looking spotty so we did both to save labor costs, and a ball joint.  5.5 years, 67k miles, not terrible in my opinion.  And I still get to enjoy that exhaust almost every day.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
9/19/19 9:45 p.m.

I keep hearing that Fiat and Alfa Romeo will be leaving the American market all together soon.  I don't know if it's true. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/19/19 9:49 p.m.

Kinda sad to hear that the automatic detracts substantially from this car. I had guessed it would be one of the cars that the auto version of would still be pretty good. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/19/19 10:24 p.m.

In reply to Vigo :

Honestly, I've driven much worse automatics. You do get the extra torque bump, too. But having not driven a stick version does leave my view a bit myopic. 

Oh, the one thing I forgot to mention? Upshifting and downshifting were reversed. Took awhile to suss that out. 

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
9/19/19 11:09 p.m.

RIP you insane little monster. My 500e couldn't keep its tread intact for long on those overstressed front tires. Such a blast to drive. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/19/19 11:36 p.m.

Love my little Abarth. Any naysayers really should give one a try. There is something in the DNA of all Italian cars that brings out the hooligan in the driver.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
9/20/19 2:24 p.m.

If my current DD was italian i'd have to re-glue the rearview mirror to the windshield so i could rip it off again. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZhzdgjYW9whBoUZAZdgA2vGEClkGPLfrIiMC07p82PnWPesHrk1eWzDbs9qFns9