Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
8/28/18 1:18 p.m.
feature_image

Honda’s pitch for their new Insight hybrid is rather simple: It’s not meh.

The Insight nameplate has been with us for nearly 20 years. Originally it was attached to a three-door, two-passenger hybrid that could be ordered with a real stick shift. It was fun and torquey. It wasn’t meh at all.

The second-generation 2009-’14 Insight was a more traditional …

Read the rest of the story

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/28/18 2:15 p.m.

"clicks on name 'touring' expecting a wagon; leaves disappointed"

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/28/18 2:18 p.m.

I didn't even know a 2nd generation 09-14 Insight even existed. Must have been Meh indeed to not ever even notice one here in commuter-ville.

Edit: upon looking it up, I guess I have seen them but never cared enough to even realize what they actually were. 1st gen Insight is totally distinctive and I always notice them. The 2nd gen just looks like a Prius without all the goofy styling cues.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
8/28/18 2:20 p.m.

This new one looks fine. I actually makes me happy that it looks like any other car. I hate the "our hybrid has to look weird so everyone knows you're not driving a dirty normal car" thing. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
8/28/18 7:26 p.m.

So the internet tells me the base Insight is $23k. That seems like a bargain if you're into that whole gas saving thing. I think the Clarity plug in is cooler, but it's also $10k more. 

Matthew Kennedy
Matthew Kennedy GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/28/18 8:33 p.m.

Will a Subaru flat six fit in the back of this one? If not, I'm not interested.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer UltraDork
8/28/18 8:33 p.m.

I've already seen two of these on my daily commute and they look good in person.  Its the right mix of Accord and Civic styling rolled into one.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
8/28/18 9:09 p.m.

I like it, which I'm afraid is why it won't do well for Honda.  If I was shopping a daily driver, this would be a the top of my list because it doesn't "look" like a hybrid.  Agreeing with Margie on this one that the styling is nice and simple without the hybrid "smugness". 

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
8/28/18 11:02 p.m.

Wow. They nailed the rear end styling. Much better looking than the accord. 

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
8/28/18 11:13 p.m.

I didn't even know a 2nd generation 09-14 Insight even existed. Must have been Meh indeed to not ever even notice one here in commuter-ville.

Yeah, I've driven them and they're boring. Pretty much not better than a Prius in any way other than feeling Honda-ish if you're into that. I spent a couple years before the 2g insight planning to buy a Fit Hybrid when it 'finally got here'. It never did, and we got that Insight instead.  

Unlike the last Insight, this one is actually different enough from a Prius that it won't draw all those direct comparisons that the Prius would win anyway. This thing is fairly pretty and much faster than a Prius while being fairly 'stealth' about its hybridness. I think a lot of people who wouldn't like other hybrids will like this one. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/29/18 10:38 a.m.

I think this will pull sales from the Civic and the Accord.  If I was forced to buy a Civic that was not a Sport, Si or Type-R, I would skip straight to this.  No weird looks, same great Honda controls and ride, and close to 50 mpg.  Wish it had the hatch though, or a mini A7 hatch. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yPS3gtFuZU5ubzVNTU3zy6wllO3E0ZIyt3CAkqzI51uUfBvPstLUWdgLbB9K0Hcy