1 2
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/13/19 1:44 p.m.
feature_image

2019 marks a carryover year for the relatively new Hyundai Kona. Don’t think of it as Hyundai resting upon their laurels, but rather as Hyundai taking a breather. They’ve been busy as of late, with all-new versions of the Santa Fe and Veloster being released this year, alongside the new Nexo—their newest fuel cell vehicle.

So slight changes abound for …

Read the rest of the story

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/13/19 1:50 p.m.

Entry-level cars have gotten a whole lot nicer now that I'm not in the market for one.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/13/19 1:54 p.m.
nderwater said:

Entry-level cars have gotten a whole lot nicer now that I'm not in the market for one.

They really have--like, this didn't feel entry-level at all. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/13/19 1:58 p.m.

Am I in the right place?  I feel like I walked into the Korean car cheerleaders' lounge.

johndej
johndej HalfDork
9/13/19 2:01 p.m.

Literally just got out of one of these (lower spec rental) in Atlanta.

Will be on the look out for one in a few years.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/13/19 2:07 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

For a practical family car, the truth is that these days I'd take a Korean car over a Chevy or a Nissan or a Mitsubishi or a Dodge.

_
_ HalfDork
9/13/19 2:23 p.m.

Friends of mine have one. Aside from the tallness, it’s a fun, quick cuv thingy. 

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
9/13/19 2:25 p.m.

It's attractive but I'm getting very luddite about tall cars lately.  cool

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
9/13/19 2:26 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

You get a Hyundai Pony! And you get a Hyundai Pony! EVERYONE GETS A HYUNDAI PONY!

I only drove this thing once but it was clear to see why these are so popular. And for the price/warranty, why not?

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/19 2:35 p.m.

I'm telling you people......... when will you start listening?

NickD
NickD PowerDork
9/13/19 2:45 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

It's attractive

Really? I think the styling is hideous. Weird gray plastic surfaces here and there, squinty headlights(?) up top with big lights down low , massive grille with a pointless tiny slit above it. It's an absolute mess, like a Juke's buff cousin.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/13/19 3:11 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

The wife likes it. She's odd though. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/13/19 3:43 p.m.
NickD said:
nutherjrfan said:

It's attractive

Really? I think the styling is hideous. Weird gray plastic surfaces here and there, squinty headlights(?) up top with big lights down low , massive grille with a pointless tiny slit above it. It's an absolute mess, like a Juke's buff cousin.

This.  Didn't the world learn from that stupid Cherokee a few years ago?  The horn might as well have said "ME SO SOLLY" like Krusty the Klown doing his racially insensitive old shtick.

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/13/19 3:46 p.m.
Duke said:
NickD said:
nutherjrfan said:

It's attractive

This.  Didn't the world learn from that stupid Cherokee a few years ago?  The horn might as well have said "ME SO SOLLY" like Krusty the Klown doing his racially insensitive old shtick.

I think the big difference visually vs the old juke is the use of a think slit of LED's vs a big giant 2nd headlight... thats my take. 

I don't have the same retching reaction to the Konda as I did the Juke. Which honestly just grew to be mundane anyway. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/13/19 3:53 p.m.
nutherjrfan said:

It's attractive but I'm getting very luddite about tall cars lately.  cool

Its 1" taller than a Fit.  At least track width >= height. 

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
9/13/19 3:55 p.m.

I've had one as a rental and really liked it, very comfortable and worked well for my needs.  But I'm hoping the next Hyundai I have to talk to a sales droid about is the Veloster N. laugh

_
_ HalfDork
9/13/19 4:32 p.m.

I’d love to lower one and autocross it. Could be really fun

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/13/19 5:27 p.m.

I think they are pretty good looking. Enough that I stopped to give a second look in the grocery store parking lot. But... about that slit above the grille... It’s just filled with black plastic isn’t it? As a styling element it confuses me.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/13/19 5:39 p.m.

So do a comparo with the RAV-4.  What's the Hyundai do better, other than cost less and spend more time in the shop?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/13/19 6:50 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:

So do a comparo with the RAV-4.  What's the Hyundai do better, other than cost less and spend more time in the shop?

Odd comparison.  Rav4 is much taller.  This is CX-3 sized.

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
9/13/19 6:57 p.m.

While in the Target parking lot today, I parked behind a bright blue Kona (Kona Blue?)  It was an attractive color.  I see these sized more like a Kia Soul or similar to Pontiac Vibe that I was driving.  

Sample:

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
9/13/19 7:54 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
1988RedT2 said:

I see.  So, for midgets?  Micro-car lunatic fringe?  Sorry, I thought it was targeted at mainstream buyers.  I can't really get my head around a market for vehicles even smaller than so-called "cute-utes."

MazdaFace
MazdaFace Dork
9/13/19 8:49 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I would say a better comparison would be a Toyota chr

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
9/13/19 8:58 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
ProDarwin said:
1988RedT2 said:

I see.  So, for midgets?  Micro-car lunatic fringe?  Sorry, I thought it was targeted at mainstream buyers.  I can't really get my head around a market for vehicles even smaller than so-called "cute-utes."

Think of it as a hatchback with ground clearance and a slightly higher seating position.  Better?

Error404
Error404 New Reader
9/16/19 5:45 p.m.
BlueInGreen - Jon said:
1988RedT2 said:
ProDarwin said:
1988RedT2 said:

Think of it as a hatchback with ground clearance and a slightly higher seating position.  Better?

"Take chances, make mistakes, get messy!"

Ground clearance in case there's a stray pine cone in the driveway that you need to parkour over.

These work because of higher beltlines and headlight lines which are pushing things higher. SWMBO was saying she felt like if she was carrying anything it might fall out of the window of my '89 Mustang but she's never really driven anything pre-2000 before they all got so high-waisted.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UafbAlsRHVVnJP3fFstj0bO3KNGmpXCYjecfjlpFUXpJIwyIL2KBBdI51jUezr1e