1 ... 9 10 11 12 13
mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/9/19 3:03 p.m.

In reply to skierd :

Which is why I want a single cab! Nobody in the back seats if there aren't any back seats. laugh

skierd
skierd SuperDork
4/10/19 4:10 p.m.

So a tow-worthy regular cab long bed truck?  They still make a Ram 2500 in that configuration, and you’d probably be better off making that off-road worthy than trying to tow 7000+ pounds with a Jeep. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/11/19 3:24 a.m.

In reply to skierd :

It all depends on how often you will tow vs. how often you will go adventuring.  I’d guess my total towing time plus offroading time is about 5-10% of my driving max ever.  That counts lots of longer trips to tow back a project.  If you live in a city with city parking spots a full size truck sucks.  I’d say it all depends.....

In all honesty again a Ranger is probably the logical choice for me.  The Jeep is the fun one though.  A full size is just a beat down in a city like Dallas even though there are tons of them.  Heck a lot of north Dallas roads have narrow lanes to hold more traffic.  4-6” less width is huge when trying to get in and out of your truck or stay in your lane on these roads.

skierd
skierd SuperDork
4/15/19 4:22 p.m.

I completely understand wanting the smaller truck that’s one of the things I love most about my Tacoma.

Not sayin’ just sayin’ you can get a SR Tacoma 4 x 4 V6 for right around $32,000 MSRP.  Access cab or double cab. If you want a manual transmission you can get the TRD sport for $34K.  As I said earlier I really really like the gladiator, and I like the Ranger too, but I don’t see how they are $5000 to $10,000 better... I get 19-20mpg on average in mine in summer, less in winter because winter gas, extreme cold, and always running in 4HI. And it’s a Tacoma, so resale is solid. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/15/19 4:28 p.m.

The jeep also wont lose value like the ranger will. I assume 100k mile gladiators will still be going for 20-22k like rubicons are.

AnthonyGS
5/1/19 10:27 p.m.

Not sure anyone cares, but I got a Colorado Z71 this past week.  It’s roomier for the family than my RAM single cab was, rides better and has 4WD.  Sure it doesn’t have the awesome TRD Pro, ZR2 or Rubicon offroad abilities but I stick to offroad roads.....  I don’t need that.  It rides a bit nicer too and is easier on fuel.  It still tows 7k, which is all I need.  It has nice amenities too.  Local dealer had steep discounts going likely due to the Ranger and soon to arrive Gladiators.  

I hope I keep this one 100k or more (about 9-12 years for me).  I’d like to have the 87 hp I gave up though.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/2/19 7:43 a.m.
MrChaos said:

The jeep also wont lose value like the ranger will. I assume 100k mile gladiators will still be going for 20-22k like rubicons are.

Jeep certainly seems to think so if one looks at the residuals for the Gladiator leases. 

AnthonyGS
5/2/19 10:14 a.m.

Apparently Car & Driver agreed with me although the Jeep sounded most fun.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a27273790/2019-ford-ranger-vs-jeep-gladiator-chevrolet-colorado-honda-ridgeline/?source=nl&utm_source=nl_cdb&utm_medium=email&date=050219&src=nl&utm_campaign=16756731

Of course the Taco and Nissan weren’t in that article.  The Chevy really is a nice mix, and I really did want a do it all daily with more room.  

And in other news, I finally found a color that shows dirt easier than black....  dark metallic blue (pacific blue metallic).  It’s so gorgeous clean but some showers, dried ran drops and road splash....  ick.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
5/10/19 12:24 p.m.

So I drove it yesterday:

https://outmotorsports.com/2019/05/finally-here-2020-jeep-wrangler-driving-experience/

The gearing of the manual makes it a total dog. Automatics felt much quicker. The Pentastar makes power way up in the revs, so I'm curious how it will truly handle a trailer. Open trailers, probably okay. Enclosed, with the aero hit? Eeeeesh. Not sure yet.

They're really effin' handsome though.

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
5/10/19 12:26 p.m.

Apparently they lease extremely well, like under $300/month well due to the high residuals. 

If if I thought they could handle the aero load of my 20’ enclosed trailer I might even get one just because of the cheap lease. 

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
5/10/19 12:37 p.m.
Sonic said:

Apparently they lease extremely well, like under $300/month well due to the high residuals. 

If if I thought they could handle the aero load of my 20’ enclosed trailer I might even get one just because of the cheap lease. 

Yeah, the rumor is a 90% residual which is insane. I also have a 20' enclosed that comes in under the weight limit but could be an aero struggle. I am going to call up some local dealerships and see about doing a few highway-speed miles with the trailer hooked up. FCA refuses to give out press cars unless you have 25k views a month, which I don't (yet). So, must get creative.

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones New Reader
5/10/19 8:13 p.m.

The 90% residual is just a rumor. Currently the 36 month residual is 71%. The money factor is also very high. A 36 month lease on a rubicon with tax and tags down is right at $900. 

Dealers here are not selling them like they thought, I could have my choice of 5 tomorrow. 

Somebeach
Somebeach Reader
5/31/19 11:11 a.m.

Any one get one of these yet? Or anyone else test drive one? Just looking for an update so I can keep dreaming. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/31/19 11:18 a.m.
Somebeach said:

Any one get one of these yet? Or anyone else test drive one? Just looking for an update so I can keep dreaming. 

After owning Tacomas only since 2001, Gladiator will be our first “Domestic” from the big 3. Waiting for my order to show up. Trading in 2017 Tacoma Pro 6MT with 71,000 miles that we have had since late 16, when it came out 

hope FCA quality as our first “American car,” doesnt sour the experience 

AnthonyGS
7/7/19 9:03 p.m.

For those keeping track at home, I have a Z71 Colorado update.  We just spent 9 days away from Dallas to Denver, played in the mountains some and came home.  My wife’s best friend moved there so it will be an annual trip.

The Z71 has gotten 19.6 mpg for 3,700 mikes total about 21-22 mpg highway at 70-75 and 17-18 in town in Dallas.  

My wife also says it’s her favorite of any daily driver I’ve ever owned after 9 days using it.  

I didn’t get a ZR2 ir Bison as I’m mot a hardcore offroader.  We did get it dirty on the Oh My God trail out of Idaho springs. It handles great, has good but not ridiculous side.  On the trip over the trail to Central city we had two 5 year olds and a 6 year old in booster seats 3 wide in the back.  It was a bit tight but manageable.  The kids and wife found offroading a bit bumpy but once we got up to 9,000 ft there were remnants of a cute mining town.  We headed back through Nederland and Boulder to outlr friend’s house.  The truck did well.  Our new Peragon bed cover was worth every pemny too.  I wish I had side steps for the kids though but the ones I want are USA made and pricey.

After side steps I may level it up with Fox’s leveling shocks and front springs.

AnthonyGS
7/7/19 9:08 p.m.

Oh yes, finally saw my first gladiator on the trip....  it’s really long.  CO is definitely Tacoma bro territory with a lot of Jeeps too and some Z71s.  

Motortrend also prefers the Chevy.

MT + C&D = Chevy 2, Jeep 0, Toyo 0.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.motortrend.com/cars/chevrolet/colorado/2019/toyota-tacoma-trd-pro-vs-jeep-gladiator-rubicon-vs-chevrolet-colorado-zr2-comparison-test/amp/

Driven5
Driven5 UltraDork
7/8/19 9:56 a.m.

I'm still trying to come to terms with the only 'open' position on the soft top being bunched on top of the rear of the cab, above the rear seat passengers, and that it otherwise only comes 'off' but doesn't have the ability to actually go 'down' any further. I think I  understand many/most of the reasons why, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

Brake_L8
Brake_L8 Reader
7/8/19 10:47 a.m.
Driven5 said:

I'm still trying to come to terms with the only 'open' position on the soft top being bunched on top of the rear of the cab, above the rear seat passengers, and that it otherwise only comes 'off' but doesn't have the ability to actually go 'down' any further. I think I  understand many/most of the reasons why, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I understand the "why" - apparently so it wouldn't impinge on bed space - but it looks absolutely stupid. 

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/8/19 11:08 a.m.

Starting to see a few Glads locally. Man, they look comically long unless they're lifted and tired a LOT.  I love the look with a lift, but stock...ew.  Saw one with a bike rack hung off the rear and a couple bikes, and I swear it was longer than my F150. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/8/19 11:13 a.m.

We are heavily in Jeep country here, and I haven't seen one in the wild yet. I did check one out in a showroom in Canada that had been pimped out, and it was super long. It also prompted the discussion of "what else can you buy for $50k" (the sticker price on the truck in question, in CDN). Which turned out to be a pretty long list.

llysgennad
llysgennad Reader
7/8/19 12:15 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Oh yes, finally saw my first gladiator on the trip....  it’s really long. ​​​​​​

That's funny to hear, considering your Z71 (6ft bed?) is longer or within 5" (5ft bed).

Glad you like your truck.

trucke
trucke SuperDork
8/1/19 7:25 a.m.

First Gladiator I've seen in western North Carolina.

docwyte
docwyte UltraDork
8/1/19 8:20 a.m.

Ugly.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
8/1/19 9:55 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:

We are heavily in Jeep country here, and I haven't seen one in the wild yet. I did check one out in a showroom in Canada that had been pimped out, and it was super long. It also prompted the discussion of "what else can you buy for $50k" (the sticker price on the truck in question, in CDN). Which turned out to be a pretty long list.

I'm also in a heavy concentration of jeep/truck/4wd area and I haven't seen one yet either. Even the local dodge dealership doesn't have one.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
8/1/19 10:45 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

The 90% residual is just a rumor. Currently the 36 month residual is 71%. The money factor is also very high. A 36 month lease on a rubicon with tax and tags down is right at $900. 

Dealers here are not selling them like they thought, I could have my choice of 5 tomorrow. 

$900, that's nucking futs.  I just priced out a mid spec 'Sport S' and was stunned to see $346 for 36 months with a sticker of $44.5K.  That's awfully tempting.  I'll be spending my lunchtime pricing out Wranglers and Gladiators now, even though I am the 'anti pickup' poster child

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eTK9hxdKTFESI3AMo58UWi6vaOLt9ZBiMkn15G6ow8FmwMeQQ5QVcnr21LfPNnBG