David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/6/19 4:10 a.m.
feature_image

For 20 years now, the Lexus IS-series has served as a BMW 3 Series fighter of sort and, like its competition, the range has grown. Today’s IS comes in multiple guises, including rear- and all-wheel drive plus turbo and naturally aspirated power. And there are sporty variants, too.

Our latest tester was the IS 350 fitted with the F Sport …

Read the rest of the story

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/6/19 6:31 a.m.

I was wondering why Toyota did not borrow from there Lexus line of cars when the wanted to bring back the Supra. Lexus makes some really great cars. 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/6/19 7:40 a.m.

I think a lot of enthusiast forget that Lexus still makes RWD sedans. IMO the 3 series looks better;  but, at least you know this thing will run forever

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/6/19 11:28 a.m.
dean1484 said:

I was wondering why Toyota did not borrow from there Lexus line of cars when the wanted to bring back the Supra. Lexus makes some really great cars. 

YES! Such a baffling move to partner with BMW on that. It would've made more sense to just slap a Supra badge on the LC. Put in cloth seats and knock $5k off the price.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/6/19 5:50 p.m.

It's sad that the GS is gone but at least the IS is the same weight now. indecision

Flynlow
Flynlow HalfDork
5/6/19 7:12 p.m.

Now that BMW has forgone manual transmissions and any pretense of being a "drivers car" on their non-M machinery, I don't see any reason to buy one over this.  I've driven several IS350s, and they are darn good business-person commuters.  

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/7/19 8:09 a.m.

The Cylon-inspired grill will look 100% normal in another few years.

CyberEric
CyberEric HalfDork
5/7/19 1:27 p.m.

What the... I didn't realize these had wishbones in front. When did that happen? I better get one now! :D

And there's no more GS?! Man, I have a lot to learn about modern Toyotas.

I really liked the ISF I drove a few years ago. Considering BMW doesn't make a manual 3-series anymore, I don't see why one would buy a BMW over this. I guess the front grill is quite ugly to my eyes, so there's that. I admit, I haven't driven them back to back tho.

And who really cares what I think since I am WAY out of the market for either car.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jKCKXxGsn05xaBg9GAY72rMqLjGgoQg1xtFwKdo7N2SpCU4q21bVvu0BpLvVFt1w