1 2
Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/16/19 7:46 a.m.

In reply to Cotton :

That's like crossing the streams in Ghostbusters, except instead of conjuring the marshmallow man you get Christmas cards from your mechanic.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/16/19 7:50 a.m.
A 401 CJ said:

What’s the coolest car an “uber-rich and everybody knows it already” dude can drive?  I just look to my friend of a friend, family money, one term Congressman (as a hobby-only ran once), and all around great guy’s garage.  What do I find?  15 year old rusty club cab Toyota 4X2.  Ha.  Airplanes though,...that’s another story.

Anything old and pristine, preferably owned for 50 years and with a folksy story. Either that or a Buick like Warren Buffet.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/16/19 8:32 a.m.

AMG G Wagen = new money

E Class wagon = old money

Like it or not, that's the way it typically breaks down. Different products for different buyers, and people will like what they like, and have different tastes/priorities based on their situations and circumstances.

In related news, I've been seeing an older, 2 door G wagon with a soft top around my neighborhood occasionally and that thing's pretty cool in an oddball, GRM way without being quite a flashy as the current G with all of the AMG kit:

Image result for convertible g wagen

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/16/19 9:03 a.m.

I admit that the AMG-G wasn't really me--just too garish. Now, the AMG E-class wagon? I'd drive that every day for the rest of my life. Review on that one coming soon....

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 11:06 a.m.
Dave M said:
A 401 CJ said:

What’s the coolest car an “uber-rich and everybody knows it already” dude can drive?  I just look to my friend of a friend, family money, one term Congressman (as a hobby-only ran once), and all around great guy’s garage.  What do I find?  15 year old rusty club cab Toyota 4X2.  Ha.  Airplanes though,...that’s another story.

Anything old and pristine, preferably owned for 50 years and with a folksy story. Either that or a Buick like Warren Buffet.

Buffet has a Buick? I thought he had a XTS. Had a DTS prior and  Towncar as well.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 11:06 a.m.
z31maniac said:

I'd probably order mine in an even more garish color. 

Yup mine would be lime green or orange. Don't care if people think I have new money or old money. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 11:08 a.m.
dean1484 said:

My wife has been bugging me for one as a replacement for her H2. This revamped one hopefully will result in many being traded in so the used market for the older ones comes down a bit. 

Sadly, if I can convince the wife, I would hvae one tomorrow for the fam. My wife HATES them with a passion. Also HATES Range Rovers. Maybe my wife isn't a woman at all :( I don't know ANY women that hates G/RR :(  She loved our Land Cruiser (80), and LOVED our LX570.  We got a FJ cruiser (LOVES IT), and she wouldnt say YES to the G. SIGH. She only wants Toyota/Lexus :( :( Maybe we can trade wives!

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 11:08 a.m.
STM317 said:

In related news, I've been seeing an older, 2 door G wagon with a soft top around my neighborhood occasionally and that thing's pretty cool in an oddball, GRM way without being quite a flashy as the current G with all of the AMG kit:

There are few of these I see around here. Dark green or silver usually. Personally I prefer a D90/D110 to these. 

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/16/19 11:12 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Maybe we can trade wives!

Well that veered left quickly...  

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 11:33 a.m.
bcp2011 said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Maybe we can trade wives!

Well that veered left quickly...  

Like a G Wagon it is all about the maintenance and up keep costs. wink

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
5/16/19 11:36 a.m.
mr2s2000elise said:

There are few of these I see around here. Dark green or silver usually. Personally I prefer a D90/D110 to these. 

Strongly agree, but it's still neat to see compared to the normal diesel trucks and jeeps that everybody else drives.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 12:43 p.m.
STM317 said:
mr2s2000elise said:

Strongly agree, but it's still neat to see compared to the normal diesel trucks and jeeps that everybody else drives.

Agree 100! :) Neat to see them. Except around here everyone seems to drive a Bentayga, Range Rover. Saw two D110 today, and those are "rare."  I wish I would see more brodozer coal diesel trucks - would be breath of fresh air. 

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
5/16/19 2:18 p.m.
bcp2011 said:

In reply to Cotton :

Totally understand. Sounds like you need a Dom and caviar night to me!!

Of all the uber-wealthy stereotypes, caviar is the one I find the most baffling. Prices start at six dollars for a baby-food sized jar, and it tastes like it ought to be used for catfish bait. That and truffles. You've got a mushroom that costs 10-100 times the price of a good steak, and it doesn't even give you hallucinations.

Dave M
Dave M Reader
5/16/19 3:32 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Dave M said:
A 401 CJ said:

Buffet has a Buick? I thought he had a XTS. Had a DTS prior and  Towncar as well.

Sorry, I was going to look up the difference between an XTS and a Lacrosse but then I fell asleep as I was typing the Google query.

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/16/19 3:37 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Or... get a new, updated model?  Why trade for an used one...?  =D

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/16/19 4:59 p.m.
MadScientistMatt said:
bcp2011 said:

In reply to Cotton :

Totally understand. Sounds like you need a Dom and caviar night to me!!

Of all the uber-wealthy stereotypes, caviar is the one I find the most baffling. Prices start at six dollars for a baby-food sized jar, and it tastes like it ought to be used for catfish bait. That and truffles. You've got a mushroom that costs 10-100 times the price of a good steak, and it doesn't even give you hallucinations.

Not uber wealthy so no clue about any of this stuff. That said, LA has a French restaurant that sells truffle fries. I used to think its "foo foo" stuff, till I tried it. WOW. Its orgasmic

dean1484
5/16/19 10:32 p.m.
bcp2011 said:
dean1484 said:

Or... get a new, updated model?  Why trade for an used one...?  =D

I have found that the ones that have had the 60k service tend to have all the little issues worked out and are good to go for many many years. laugh

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/16/19 11:00 p.m.
dean1484 said:

I have found that the ones that have had the 60k service tend to have all the little issues worked out and are good to go for many many years. laugh

Maybe it’s a bit more... comfortable... since it’s...broken in... but if you’re gonna be at the dealer might as well try out the more exciting new models, no?  

dean1484
5/16/19 11:26 p.m.

I guess it all depends on what warranty you can get with the new model versus somthing with a proven track record.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8oXHAsKfPl7DUVRkocLWR2rMrnw1Hgle15jcDanoEWVige99cPqJemZio4xBEwCG