1 2
Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
5/16/19 9:00 a.m.
feature_image

It’s hard to think that the Avalon nameplate has been with us since 1995—nearly 25 years. And in those nearly 25 years, Toyota has inched us ever closer to automotive nirvana—well, for lovers of roomy sedans, anyway.

To that end, the 2019 Avalon is all new: Not only is it longer, wider and lower than before, but it’s now sporting …

Read the rest of the story

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/16/19 9:10 a.m.

I can't believe I'm going to say this but that strikes me as not a lot of money for a lot of car. And I don't find the styling hateful either. 

Indy-Guy
Indy-Guy UberDork
5/16/19 9:17 a.m.

Uugh.

I'll be happy when Toyota abandon's its current fascination with "filter mouth feeder" styling

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/16/19 9:33 a.m.

I really like the view from the back; wouldn't have guessed this was an Avalon from behind. Avalon has long been the 'Big Buick' of Toyotas but this one seems a bit of a departure from that formula.

barefootskater
barefootskater Dork
5/16/19 9:39 a.m.

I like the new Corolla hatch, and I really like the looks of the twins, but this thing is better. Maybe this should go in minor confessions but to my eye this new Avalon looks "the business"

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/16/19 9:41 a.m.

Hey, I'm with you. I thought it looked striking. It was nice to drive, too. It's not a Miata or a BRZ, but in its class–comfy, front-drive sedans–it does really, really well. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 UltimaDork
5/16/19 11:49 a.m.
nderwater said:

I really like the view from the back; wouldn't have guessed this was an Avalon from behind. Avalon has long been the 'Big Buick' of Toyotas but this one seems a bit of a departure from that formula.

I agree.  She's got a sexy butt.  The face, not so much.

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/16/19 12:38 p.m.

I just enjoy the fact that we just used the Cadillac DTS as a reference point.

_
_ Reader
5/16/19 3:10 p.m.

Would be nice if they offered awd. A lot of owners talk about wanting it. Then Again, those folks end up buying a rav4 or runner also. 

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/16/19 3:16 p.m.

I don't hate the front but I feel like it's a little out of place on an Avalon. Seems like it should go on some sort of gnarly RWD sports sedan instead.

_
_ Reader
5/16/19 3:20 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

I agree. The look doesn’t match the performance. 

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/16/19 4:23 p.m.

Oddly, the last speeding ticket I got was in an Avalon. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
5/16/19 4:30 p.m.
Daylan C said:

Pretty appropriate though. My grandpa lamented the fact that his last car was an 09ish Avalon; it was better in every sense than the DTS it replaced, but it was not nearly as cool--at least for a guy born in 1923. 

And I agree with that, fwiw. I recommend the Avalon to a lot of people, but to me it is an old-mans car, and a boring one at that. Funny anecdote: I made the comment once to my MIL that my grandpa hated his Avalon because it was too boring, too much an old mans car. She got offended and said she had "lots of friends who have one, it's not an old-person car!" I don't think she quite recognized the irony of what she was saying. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
5/16/19 5:02 p.m.
Daylan C said:

I aim to please. 

John Welsh
John Welsh Mod Squad
5/16/19 5:17 p.m.

In reply to Jordan Rimpela :

I'm pleased with your aim. 

Daylan C
Daylan C UltraDork
5/16/19 5:22 p.m.

I recall somebody here describing an early Alavon as the best Buick he'd ever driven. Makes sense.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/16/19 8:17 p.m.

I like the current Camry, and I think i like this just as much. In my mind that's an impressive feat for Toyota.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/16/19 8:46 p.m.

I’m actually an Avalon fan. If they’re going to call it Touring, it should at least be a 5-door, but I’ll live. 

It’s perfectly acceptable from the side. The back is downright sexy for a big middle-age middle-class driver. Inside looks pretty nice. 

But that face. Ye gods. It’s like they saved up a whole car’s worth of miscues and jammed them onto the poor thing’s nose. 

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
5/16/19 9:22 p.m.

Avalon, the official car of septugenarians blocking your path doing 15 under the posted speed.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/16/19 10:56 p.m.

The 2017 & 2018s I see around are really nice looking cars. I hope this drives down there prices. It would be great alternative to my other bad car choices I have been pondering lately. 

jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
5/20/19 1:08 p.m.
Jumper K Balls (Trent) said:

Avalon, the official car of septugenarians blocking your path doing 15 under the posted speed.

The girls would turn the color of an avocado when he'd drive down the street in his Eldorado

I could have sworn that was the Prius.

Jumper K Balls (Trent)
Jumper K Balls (Trent) PowerDork
5/20/19 1:31 p.m.

In reply to jstein77 :

You know after I posted that I thought I should go back and delete it since I felt it came off more shiny happy person than funny but on the trip back from the grocery store I found myself doing 20 in a 40 and the car holding up the pack was an Avalon so I let the post be frown

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
5/21/19 7:10 a.m.

For some reason I thought the Avalon was already making way more than 300, didn't they have a V8 option at one point? Either way I've had more than one try to go at a light! Good looking overall but that grill...

NickD
NickD PowerDork
5/21/19 8:12 a.m.
StuntmanMike said:

For some reason I thought the Avalon was already making way more than 300, didn't they have a V8 option at one point? Either way I've had more than one try to go at a light! Good looking overall but that grill...

The Avalon has never had a V8 option. Are you sure you aren't thinking of the Lexus LS400/Toyota Celsior?

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
5/21/19 8:24 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Hey, I'm with you. I thought it looked striking. It was nice to drive, too. It's not a Miata or a BRZ, but in its class–comfy, front-drive sedans–it does really, really well. 

I saw one of these on the road recently around here. The word I'd use to describe the look would also be "striking". Yeah, really. I can't believe I said that either.

Look, I bash beige Toyotas with the best of them, but they are at least TRYING to make things at least look exciting now. This is a seriously good looking car, especially from the rear. While it's not quite class-competitive with it's HP numbers, I wouldn't kick this one out of the driveway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PACrrCrxpFzOIhrESo1SNaqd2iJtjBcz4o7bR3DFvygDSSrOXAOuFz2bdSShgjIM