1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/15/18 9:10 p.m.
accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/15/18 9:18 p.m.

https://youtu.be/pSJU7SWYgxw

I think this is the same car, sounds awesome!

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
1/15/18 9:29 p.m.

This is starting to look like hatch warfare of the 80's devil

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/18 9:52 p.m.

Before we get all hot and bothered what is the weight.

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/15/18 9:56 p.m.

For the most part, I like it. At least it fixes what I hated most about the previous generation, which was the ghastly rear end styling (particularly the weird divots inboard of the taillights). The hatch portal is still like uselessly high and small though.

Really I am just sad that we will never get the i30 (Elantra GT) N here. Definitely more my speed...

Snrub
Snrub Reader
1/15/18 10:14 p.m.

You have to give Hyundai credit for going after market segments that are low volume and a little more interesting.  It sounds like it's FWD again.  It will be interesting to hear if the e-diff is as magical the setup in the Civic type-R.  If they can get the suspension tuning down, it could be a very competitive entry.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/15/18 10:25 p.m.

Performance-wise, it seems very exciting. Looks-wise, they took something distinctive and made it look like everyone else. 

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/15/18 11:03 p.m.

the comments at Slashgear are brutal

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
1/15/18 11:55 p.m.

This car has forever needed to be awd and compete as an undercutting wrx. If only they could offer this in awd for about 25k...

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/16/18 4:36 a.m.

Finally Hyundai offers a better weapon. As previously mentioned.......the rear hatch not so good/useable. I like it overall. Oh and it's not another SUV/CUV/Truck, which means it probably won't sell.

NickD
NickD UltraDork
1/16/18 5:22 a.m.

The styling is better than the old one, no more the of the weird melting-looking surfaces and bucktooth grille. The grille does kinda look unfinished on the new one though, like there was supposed to be something the middle of all that and then the designer ran out of time and went "No, I meant it that way."

Also find it funny that Hyundai talks about how innovative and clever they are with putting 2 doors on the passenger side and one on the driver side. GM was doing that back in the sixties with the Carryall and AMC Pacer wagons had a larger door on the passenger side than the driver

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
1/16/18 7:02 a.m.
pointofdeparture said:

Really I am just sad that we will never get the i30 (Elantra GT) N here. Definitely more my speed...

Come and get one up north: available in Canada

I kind of like the new Veloster. I'll wait to see it in person before judging the looks. What Kia did with the Stinger makes me optimistic that this will be a good car.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
1/16/18 8:13 a.m.

I hope it does well.  I have a suspicion that when compared with the Focus ST, Speed 3, GTI, etc. it just wont feel like as good a package.

Didn't the last one have a weird clutch delay valve and horrible electronic throttle programming?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/16/18 8:20 a.m.

Hatchback, 275hp, 13 inch front brakes, six speed manual, and we're just sitting here complaining about the hole size. We're a jaded bunch. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/18 8:24 a.m.
fanfoy said:
pointofdeparture said:

Come and get one up north: available in Canada

I kind of like the new Veloster. I'll wait to see it in person before judging the looks. What Kia did with the Stinger makes me optimistic that this will be a good car.

We get the i30/Elantra GT just like you guys. What neither of us get is the 271HP i30/Elantra GT N.

I greatly respect Hyundai for having the stones to build the Veloster N but it compromises much of the functionality that makes a hatchback worthwhile.

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
1/16/18 9:06 a.m.

Interesting given that the fiesta ST is now gone...

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/18 9:14 a.m.
dean1484 said:

Before we get all hot and bothered what is the weight.

Not very light, 1500kg/3300lbs.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/16/18 9:50 a.m.

In reply to dean1484 :

it looks like a refresh of the outgoing car. It weighed 2700-2900lbs depending on drivetrain/options. So even at 3000lbs with 275hp sounds good to me.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
1/16/18 11:14 a.m.

It’s turbo, so more power is easily had. 

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/16/18 12:09 p.m.

You guys know that Albert Biermann is heading Hyundai's N division, right? 

http://europe.autonews.com/article/20160204/COPY/302059999?template=mobile02&X-IgnoreUserAgent=1

According to Evo Magazine the Hyundai i30 N is more about the underpinnings than it's motor/power-to-weight/etc. Apparently it's that good. 

I'm assuming that considering they have the same specs/features that the Veloster N is going to similarly good. 

But I'm with mazdaduece - what're we complaining about? A car with electronically controlled diff, electronically adjusted shocks, 260 lb/ft that comes on at 1600 !!! rpm, 3 funky doors, HUGE brakes, and a cool spoiler on the backend. This is the E36 M3 I live for. Weird cars by weird manufacturers that pop, snort, and bang down the road. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/18 12:49 p.m.

I love the Idea. I'll hold my breath because Hyundai tends to over promise and under deliver in the HP department. They have always been close but blow something pretty bad that kills the driving experience. I want to love it and will probably test drive one once I can but I hope they get this one right.

Bobcougarzillameister
Bobcougarzillameister MegaDork
1/16/18 1:04 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

It’s turbo, so more power is easily had. 

and unlike their NA engines, the turbo motors respond ridiculously well to tunes and exhaust. IIRC a tune on the 1.6T Veloster was worth 44hp and 36ftlbs. No other mods. 

mtn
mtn MegaDork
1/16/18 1:09 p.m.

I like it. I think that I'm past the point in my life where I'd drive something like this--well, realistically I never was in that point as a new car buyer--but its pretty cool. Hope it drives as well as it seems like it should.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/18 1:11 p.m.

Is it fwd or awd?

accordionfolder
accordionfolder Dork
1/16/18 1:27 p.m.
yupididit said:

Is it fwd or awd?

FWD - it's supposed to slot into the hot hatch segment (Fiesta ST, MS3, Golf Gti, etc).

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cXVeSEWd4kEE7hM1CunJxOXyxnhnObqIDBJfvxfnCaNJcHtFEidBd7ZAXbd1qfj4