Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/17/19 10:43 a.m.
feature_image

In a time when most auto manufacturers are abandoning anything sedan-eqsue in droves for more-profitable C/X/SUVs, Volkswagen has mostly resisted by not only continuing to offer cars, but by developing a new one to reside in a niche segment occupied by much more expensive models. That new car? The Volkswagen Arteon.

Seen as a replacement for the handsome and long-discontinued …

Read the rest of the story

JesseWolfe
JesseWolfe New Reader
10/17/19 11:48 a.m.

Having had a first generation CC, pre-facelift, the body lines on this car are too busy.  It's gone from subtly classy to over-the-top sporty.  It still catches my eye when I see one in the wild, but it's too much hard edged styling for me.  My 13 year old son was instantly drawn to it when we were in the VW dealerships earlier this year though.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/17/19 12:40 p.m.

VW has sold about 1,500 of these in the US market so far. Not sure what the business case was for this vehicle.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt PowerDork
10/17/19 2:35 p.m.

It's nice to see somebody has realized that current fastback bodies should be full sized hatchbacks instead of going for micro-trunk openings.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan UberDork
10/18/19 8:01 p.m.

Arteon.  Sounds like some posh British actress' name.

Good looking car.  The CC was also a great looking car.  smiley

TR7
TR7 Reader
10/21/19 9:43 a.m.
MadScientistMatt said:

It's nice to see somebody has realized that current fastback bodies should be full sized hatchbacks instead of going for micro-trunk openings.

Agreed. I have been mildly annoyed that things like the new mustang arent a liftback. 

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
10/21/19 2:51 p.m.

I'm glad the CC has a name now but I also think it has lost some of its overt specialness. I think VW's main struggle with this car will be getting people next to, inside, or driving it in the first place. It's probably fairly good but outside of a 'blind taste test' type of scenario I don't know how you get someone who isn't actively seeking it out to even give it a shot. 

Dave M
Dave M Reader
10/21/19 8:14 p.m.
nderwater said:

VW has sold about 1,500 of these in the US market so far. Not sure what the business case was for this vehicle.

Two words:

Europe

China

It's just gravy if they sell any here. The US market is Tiguan, Atlas and GTI (and Audi and Porsche).

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
10/21/19 8:38 p.m.

FWIW, it doesn’t look like this car is sold in China frown

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Digital Editor
10/21/19 8:54 p.m.

This could be a hell of a bargain in 5 years. 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
10/21/19 9:02 p.m.

A shame it's automatic-only. I'm the demographic for a car like this (and yes, I've actually bought my last two cars brand new), and I'd  certainly consider it with a manual. It's really a nice-looking car with some great features (like the true liftback). Since I imagine the FWD version is basically the same drivetrain as the GTI, it wouldn't be a stretch to make some available with the GTI's lovely 6MT. But such is life. I'll stick with my GTI. 

Jordan Rimpela
Jordan Rimpela Dork
4/26/21 6:49 a.m.
Jordan Rimpela said:

This could be a hell of a bargain in 5 years. 

Well, not yet. Also, I rarely--if ever--see these.

paddygarcia
paddygarcia GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/26/21 8:01 a.m.

Sold in China as the CC.  

Apparently closer to 5k sold here since launch but in a good month they sell almost that many in China...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4Jsn1tO8Hzin8Ygkqzd4ES5RUpk4cO4EF7xJjKQX3RouHFTnp4Un61Tg5lnBO63b