David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/4/20 10:00 a.m.
feature_image

The Alfa Romeo Stelvio Quadrifoglio can definitely motor. It holds the Nürburgring record for a U.S.-market SUV at 7:51.7. It can rip a zero-to-60 time of 3.6 seconds while topping out at 176 mph.

And prices for a new one start at $80,500.

Like what you're reading? We rely on your financial support. For as little as $3, you can support …

Read the rest of the story

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/4/20 10:18 a.m.

They sure are pretty inside and out; however, those sport seats aren't made for barrel chested and/or thic thighs. My plums had no way to breath with how thick those bolsters on the bottom cushion. Same can be said for the torso area as well. That car made me feel fat and I'm in pretty good shape lol. 

David S. Wallens
5/4/20 10:24 a.m.

Did you open up the bolsters? That helped in the comfort department. 

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/4/20 12:48 p.m.

Buy one in a year for $40k.  Get the extended bazillion year warranty and pray the one Alfa dealer in town doesn't go out of business.  Spend a lot of time there and hope you always get a free loaner car.

I still don't trust Alfa's reliability, particularly with the rotten luck multiple car magazines had with the Quadrafoglio press cars/loan term cars they had.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/4/20 1:04 p.m.
docwyte said:

Buy one in a year for $40k.  Get the extended bazillion year warranty and pray the one Alfa dealer in town doesn't go out of business.  Spend a lot of time there and hope you always get a free loaner car.

I still don't trust Alfa's reliability, particularly with the rotten luck multiple car magazines had with the Quadrafoglio press cars/loan term cars they had.

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, aren't most of the Alfa dealers partnered with FIAT brands in the states? I.e. any Chrysler/FIAT service center should be able to handle those affairs if that were to happen. 

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/20 1:15 p.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
docwyte said:

Correct me if I'm wrong; but, aren't most of the Alfa dealers partnered with FIAT brands in the states? I.e. any Chrysler/FIAT service center should be able to handle those affairs if that were to happen. 

local dodge/jeep/chrysler/fiat dealer wont touch alfa's. 

David S. Wallens
5/4/20 7:56 p.m.
docwyte said:

Did you know that you can also buy a new one for $40k? Well, $41,400 for the base model. Standard engine is the 280-horsepower, 306 lb.-ft. turbo-four backed with an eight-speed auto. 

Ooh, you got another one to try out? 

David S. Wallens
5/4/20 8:12 p.m.
Jordan Rimpela (Forum Unterstützer) said:

Ooh, you got another one to try out? 

We did. I guess to sample the interior upgrades. Still fast. 

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nice! Hopefully this time minus nails in tires. T'was a sad day. 

David S. Wallens
5/4/20 8:17 p.m.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. Nope, no issues at all. It went back home a-okay. 

A 401 CJ
A 401 CJ GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/20 8:29 p.m.

Cars are just like girls.  Or at least the way we thought girls were when I was young.

Japan: not a single fault.  None.  Will follow you to the end of the earth and back.  But usually not all that exciting even if over-the-top gorgeous..

Germany:  Strong.  Good looking.  You’re usually good to go but some are hiding some serious issues just under the surface.  

United States:  usually not many issues.  This can be true even if mistreated.  Maybe good looking but they’re everywhere so not many people will notice.

Italy:  Jaw dropping gorgeous.  Can perform with the best too.  Will often leave you sick and heartbroken even if treated with care.

docwyte
docwyte UberDork
5/5/20 9:37 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
docwyte said:

Did you know that you can also buy a new one for $40k? Well, $41,400 for the base model. Standard engine is the 280-horsepower, 306 lb.-ft. turbo-four backed with an eight-speed auto. 

Why buy a base model new for $41k when you can buy a very lightly used top of the line model for the same amount a short time later?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/5/20 9:58 a.m.
MrChaos said:
DirtyBird222 said:
docwyte said:

local dodge/jeep/chrysler/fiat dealer wont touch alfa's. 

Interesting considering FCA Italy owns Alfa Romeo and the two Alfa dealers I've been to were co-located with some sort of FCA subsidiary that shared the same service shop. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/5/20 10:02 a.m.

Price as tested: $95,960  indecision

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 10:08 a.m.
DirtyBird222 said:
docwyte said:

You get two kinds of Alfa dealers - the Alfa/FIAT ones and the Alfa/Maserati ones.

Based on a little experience myself and a lot of comments on the various Alfa boards, you want the kind of dealer that has a Maserati franchise. For some reason, they also seem to be better at fixing things.

David S. Wallens
5/5/20 10:12 a.m.
nderwater said:

Price as tested: $95,960  indecision

Our tester had the Brembos. 

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/5/20 10:18 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:
docwyte said:

And that's before discounts, although I don't know if they discount the cooking model Stelvio as much as the Giulia.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/5/20 12:01 p.m.

Saw a beautiful BRG w/ tan interior Gulia on my way to work today. If Mazda had a "individual color" program like BMW I would have an ND in that combo in no time. 

David S. Wallens
5/5/20 12:56 p.m.

Is BRG perfect for just about all shapes? 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
5/5/20 3:38 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

BRG is perfect for just about all shapes.

Corrected for facts. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
X1pzrjw9dGfFaodG0ChrJn13eFEc5G34nPHFhODtkyA2rr9e5cl2P6WctH2y6djx