Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
5/27/20 9:40 a.m.
feature_image

Is the Miata still the one to beat? Since the 2020 model remains virtually unchanged from the first ND2 that we originally tested in 2018, here's what remains true: 181 horsepower and 151 lb.-ft. of torque that can be sent to the rear wheels through either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission.

We were given the keys to a soft-top 2020 …

Read the rest of the story

Tom1200
Tom1200 Dork
5/27/20 9:59 a.m.

What if I don't want the stupid induction sound enhancer??

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/27/20 10:05 a.m.

I have a question for the floor: This or the 86/BRZ? Or even a Civic Si? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 10:16 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

What if I don't want the stupid induction sound enhancer??

(triumphant flourish) https://www.flyinmiata.com/verus-sound-tube-delete.html 

Ironically, about all most intake "upgrades" do is increase induction noise.

About the Brembo/BBS package on the test car - you can get better brakes and better wheels on the aftermarket for less than the price of that kit. The cute little "aero" parts around the bottom of the car are nice, though. We added them to all our cars.

Interesting that you guys think the car is underdamped, because the original shock valving for the Club suspension was waaaaay overdamped. Felt sporty if you think that constant jiggling is sporty. The soft tops got the revised Club suspension in 2018 and it's a big improvement, much more compliant. This car also has the upgraded steering rack that was introduced in 2017 on the RF and 2018 on the soft tops - Mazda never made a fuss about it in press releases, but it has much improved on-center feel.

As for this vs 86 - do you like the top to go down? That's a fundamental question if you care, because it is a clear dividing line. And if you still play with Transformers, you want the Civic :) Or maybe if you need more than two seats. Another clear dividing line.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/27/20 10:50 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I'm with Keith, do you want a convertible? Miata it is. Want a hardtop, BRZ. 

Civic Si, sporty FWD cars don't interest me that much after having owned a '10 Speed3. Fun little car, but would not hook up and when it did it torque steered like crazy. As a fun car with useable hatch space it was great. 

Maybe the next-gen STi will bring back the hatch.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
5/27/20 12:33 p.m.

Do you want a questionable flat-four, or a rock solid inline four?

Must not drive.....  will buy.....

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/27/20 12:53 p.m.

I want more colors. :(

MrFancypants said:

I want colors.....  that's my biggest beef with Mazda.  You can get a Miata in any color you can get an SUV too :(.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/20 1:42 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood:

I would absolutely take a MX5 over the twins and if I needed more space and a roof over my head I'd opt for the Civic. 

In reply to z31maniac :

you should drive any of the most recent FWD pocket rockets. they're far superior cars to the MS3 in how they drive and their dynamics. 

the Gen 2 MS3 was a 2005 design in a new suit. they were great cars when they came out, but the rest of the market got better as the speed3 aged. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/27/20 1:43 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

I want colors.....  that's my biggest beef with Mazda.  You can get a Miata in any color you can get an SUV too :(.

Not even. There's a blue on the smaller CXs that would look great on the Miata. I've been harassing Mazda about getting the blue equivalent to Soul Red since the ND showed up. One of their PR guys even quit and went to a doomed EV startup to get away from me. At least, that's my theory.

Danny Shields (Forum Supporter)
Danny Shields (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/27/20 1:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I thought Miata was always the Answer. Unless you need a roof or back seat.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/27/20 2:02 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

you should drive any of the most recent FWD pocket rockets. they're far superior cars to the MS3 in how they drive and their dynamics. 

the Gen 2 MS3 was a 2005 design in a new suit. they were great cars when they came out, but the rest of the market got better as the speed3 aged. 

The only FWD "pocket rocket" that intrigues me in the slightest is the Veloster N with the Performance Package.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
5/27/20 3:08 p.m.
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

I want colors.....  that's my biggest beef with Mazda.  You can get a Miata in any color you can get an SUV too :(.

It's frustrating. When I walk into a Mazda dealership I want to feel like I'm drowning in a bag of Skittles. Instead there's gray, gray, black, white, grayish blue, dark red.....

Keith Tanner said:
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) said:
MrFancypants said:

I want colors.....  that's my biggest beef with Mazda.  You can get a Miata in any color you can get an SUV too :(.

Not even. There's a blue on the smaller CXs that would look great on the Miata. I've been harassing Mazda about getting the blue equivalent to Soul Red since the ND showed up. One of their PR guys even quit and went to a doomed EV startup to get away from me. At least, that's my theory.

I miss colors......  you want a nice color you have to special order something real expensive.  I almost went hunting for the anniversary orange, but 35k: ouch.

Shaun
Shaun Dork
5/27/20 9:27 p.m.

Colors?......

Snrub
Snrub HalfDork
5/27/20 9:32 p.m.

ND vs. the 86? No contest, ND is a riot to drive. Even if you would prefer a roof, the driving difference is worth the compromise.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/27/20 9:54 p.m.
z31maniac said:
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

The only FWD "pocket rocket" that intrigues me in the slightest is the Veloster N with the Performance Package.

good car, but a Focus ST is pretty much a better car in every way to the MS3, and the new Civic Si can be just as fast with a plug in tune and the civic is absolutely a better car in every way to the MS3, minus the lack of a hatch. and both of those are significantly cheaper than the hyundai. 

bswanny
bswanny New Reader
6/2/20 6:48 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

BRZ because the 86 has a nervous front lip, Miata is to tight for my length and expensive to get a lsd on a sports car.., and the Civic SI is hideous and has some of the worst rev hang. Also no I wont tune my brand new car to lose its warranty to get rid of the rev hang. However I spoke with my money and bought a used 370Z over all of these. I like torque

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
efciyJgbk6gexnBMQ73OOohT3YTldKR06DIUT1deRr4PVVblb0jT8lnHopE5oaZk