1 2 3 4
infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/19/19 7:33 a.m.

So Ford has been just saying that the 2020 GT500 will have "more than 700 horsepower" for a while now and people have been guessing.  Apparently they just released some numbers this morning: 760 horsepower and 625 ft/lbs of torque.  Also a sub-11 second 1/4 mile and 0-60 in the mid 3 second range.  Pretty impressive, especially for a 4,000 lb car!

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/2020-mustang-shelby-gt500-makes-100000478.html

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/19 7:45 a.m.

I await Dodge's response with equal parts anticipation and fear.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/19 7:54 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Introducing for 2021 the Dodge Ramaphant. For the low low price of $80k, we will send an elephant with RAM stenciled on its side to stomp on you. We were going to make a new car with the Hellaphant motor but couldn't stop them from twisting into pretzels at launch, so now YOU can experience first hand what sitting in one would be like.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/19/19 7:57 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

I mean, it still makes less power than the Hellcat Redeye and the Demon, so I'm not sure Mopar will respond even.

RossD
RossD MegaDork
6/19/19 7:57 a.m.

Cars and Coffee attendees beware!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/19 7:58 a.m.
infinitenexus said:

So Ford has been just saying that the 2020 GT500 will have "more than 700 horsepower" for a while now and people have been guessing.  Apparently they just released some numbers this morning: 760 horsepower and 625 ft/lbs of torque.  Also a sub-11 second 1/4 mile and 0-60 in the mid 3 second range.  Pretty impressive, especially for a 4,000 lb car!

And it's interesting to note, for this board in particular, the sub 11 second 1/4 time was met in 2004, and repeated many times at the GRM $20XX challenge.  

If GRM could swing one of these for a press fleet drive just about October, it would be a fun head to head comparison to the creativity and hard work to builders on this very board.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/19 10:34 a.m.

Cool, hopefully this will make the GT350's cheaper. 

This never ending quest for power is stupid. The Hellcat's are LOL slow on a track for what they are. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/19 10:50 a.m.
NickD said:
Tom_Spangler said:

I mean, it still makes less power than the Hellcat Redeye and the Demon, so I'm not sure Mopar will respond even.

And it's like 500lbs lighter as well.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/19/19 11:42 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Plus from what I understand, the Hellcat didn't handle that well, comparatively, and the Demon is a straight-line only car, while the GT500 is designed more for handling.  Should be interesting to see how it performs.  I'm mostly interested to see how they handle all the heat that engine will produce on a track, and how long the tires will last on a 4,000lb, 760hp car.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/19/19 11:42 a.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

Dodge:

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
6/19/19 12:09 p.m.

I ran across a group of 8 or so of these new GT500's wearing M plates on their way home from testing at Grattan Raceway a couple weeks ago at a gas station down the road fueling up.  They looked and sounded incredible.  A couple were obnoxiously loud in a glorious way.  

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/19/19 12:46 p.m.
xflowgolf said:

I ran across a group of 8 or so of these new GT500's wearing M plates on their way home from testing at Grattan Raceway a couple weeks ago at a gas station down the road fueling up.  They looked and sounded incredible.  A couple were obnoxiously loud in a glorious way.  

I would imagine they have the same "active exhaust" feature as the current Mustang GT does.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/19/19 12:48 p.m.

I never thought I'd see muscle cars with 700-900 horsepower straight off the showroom floor. Who will be first to 1,000 hp?!! 

Makes you wonder how high those numbers will go before insurance/regulation/market forces take over.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/19 1:36 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Plus from what I understand, the Hellcat didn't handle that well, comparatively, and the Demon is a straight-line only car, while the GT500 is designed more for handling.  Should be interesting to see how it performs.  I'm mostly interested to see how they handle all the heat that engine will produce on a track, and how long the tires will last on a 4,000lb, 760hp car.

I haven't seen anywhere it says they weigh 4,000lbs?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
6/19/19 2:06 p.m.
nderwater said:

Makes you wonder how high those numbers will go before insurance/regulation/market forces take over.

This could be a quote from 1968 talking about things like 454SS Chevelles and Cobra Jet Mustangs. As long as you are willing to pay the nosebleed high insurance premiums, they aren't going to change anything. As for regulation, our government hasn't decided to curtail sales of some weapons which have a much worse argument for valid daily use. I wouldn't sweat it.

The few pics I've seen of the new ones are full on amazing. I'm not a big fan of the current Mustang in stock GT form, but man, tack on a few aero bits and some track jewelry and they are gorgeous.

I dropped off a set of wheels at the local bike shop today and the owner was showing me the '19 GT350 he just bought a month back. Black on black on black on bad ass. That thing is like hot liquid sex sitting in the parking lot.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/19/19 2:10 p.m.
z31maniac said:
infinitenexus said:

In reply to z31maniac :

I haven't seen anywhere it says they weigh 4,000lbs?

@Infinitenexus You'll find that manufactures are utilizing air to water intercoolers as they are MUCH more efficient. That's one of the biggest changes they will use to combat heat. 

@Z31maniac Yeah it definitely doesn't say that anywhere officially, but the current Mustang GT Prem. clocks in at 3,825 pounds loaded. It's not too far off to think with the extra power, and the things needed to control that power, it'll be damn close to 4,000 lbs. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/19/19 2:22 p.m.

A month or so ago I read that the curb weight was just over 4,000lbs.  Cant remember where I read that, to be honest.  But as goingnowherefast said, it should be up there.  The GT500s always weighed a good bit more than the standard GTs, and Mustangs are getting heavier and heavier.  It would be nice to see a stripped down version of this car.  I remember thinking about how heavy my 2012 is at around 3500!  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/19/19 3:14 p.m.

Much of the weight is the platform itself. The supercharger and ancillaries will likely add another 75-100lbs, larger brakes, DCT transmissions are NOT light (especially one that will handle that power and weight of the vehicle). For example, I think the DCT in my 135i is roughly ~170lbs. 

So you're probably pretty spot on, just curious if there was somewhere that had more technical details!

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
6/19/19 3:50 p.m.

Some more specs here, although they don't list the weight.  I wish I could remember where I read the curb weight.  Those front brakes are gigantic, so those will definitely contribute to the overall weight gain.  

https://www.cjponyparts.com/resources/news/2020-shelby-gt500

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/19 6:47 p.m.
infinitenexus said:

And in two words (well, four, I guess) you describe exactly why I don't care all that much.

Knurled.
6/19/19 6:48 p.m.
Tom_Spangler said:

They haven't matched Dodge yet.  This is not yet in Demon territory.

Knurled.
6/19/19 6:50 p.m.
ultraclyde said:
nderwater said:

This could be a quote from 1968 talking about things like 454SS Chevelles and Cobra Jet Mustangs. As long as you are willing to pay the nosebleed high insurance premiums, they aren't going to change anything. As for regulation, our government hasn't decided to curtail sales of some weapons which have a much worse argument for valid daily use. I wouldn't sweat it.

Although, if someone DID run on a platform of making private truck ownership more difficult/expensive, I'd back them.

(that's what you were talking about, right?)

freetors
freetors Reader
6/19/19 7:53 p.m.

I really don't even car about these kind of things anymore.  I would honestly be way more impressed if Ford (or any carmaker) came out with a 2000 pound, 200 ish hp car.

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
6/19/19 11:37 p.m.

^ Like, again? I mean, 2500 isn't 2000 but a Fiesta ST is close enough to those specs that if a man made of straw, a straw man per se, were to drive it, it'd be really close in weight to a 2000 lb car with a regular driver. cheeky

Tragic foreshadowing of the future of the 2000 lb car: American "buyers" say words and stuff and Ford makes an actual financial decision based on non-theoretical reality and pulls cars out of America. "Buyers" are miffed and unleash more words, but to no avail. Meanwhile, people who paid IRL money for Fiesta STs seem reasonably happy.

In terms of not being excited about the Mustang (which im not and can relate), i can understand being sort of jaded about spec sheets in these heady days, but i also know that the number of people who have experienced a 10 second car is pretty tiny. 

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/20/19 12:06 a.m.

In reply to Vigo :

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K0m4Woxz1NU

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OXc7bQgFeBL0YVCODjBbTIZzStnNETVsFG3ByjnPyVE5UjrvaDBcZW8EImHapK7I