1 2 3 4
rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/14/19 8:14 a.m.

Apologies if it's a repost....

https://external-preview.redd.it/ncjNkImioQg_GDDNLjPKOy_W8pDBcbRylBk4EjUBOB0.jpg?auto=webp&s=d2b576e02f97b7c00974814f9afecb926f89afe6

-Rob

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/14/19 8:30 a.m.

So they're selling 2020 Supra #1 at Barrett-Jackson for too much money?

20 years from now, it will sell again at Barrett-Jackson for too much money, and I predict it will have fewer than 1000 miles on it, having mostly seen the inside of the garage for that entire time.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 9:40 a.m.

Pics out:

Well they didn't beat the concept too badly with the ugly stick, it's decent-looking. A set of "lower eyelids" would make it look much more like the concept.

Retail price $50k~$55k depending on options.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/2020-toyota-supra-detroit-auto-show/

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
1/14/19 9:44 a.m.

I need to see it in person. It must slot somewhere between an ND and the front engine Ferraris, but I can't quite get a sense of scale. 

GameboyRMH
1/14/19 9:49 a.m.

Specs summary:

3L turbo I6, 335hp, 365ft-lbs

8-speed manually shiftable auto ( frown)

Weight: 3397lbs

Suspension: Can't find good info on the front, may be macstrut or superstrut. Rear is multilink. Aluminum control arms, adaptive dampers.

Forged 19" wheels, 255/35/19 front, 275/35/19 rear

0-60 in 4.1sec, top speed limited to 155mph

Strictly a 2-seater

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
1/14/19 9:57 a.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I need to see it in person. It must slot somewhere between an ND and the front engine Ferraris, but I can't quite get a sense of scale. 

97.2" wheelbase means it's a smidge shorter than a Z4.  I'm willing to bet it's close enough to give an idea of size.  Granted, how it uses that wheelbase and such will make a big difference in how it looks, but that should give an estimate.

I'd guess this will compete with the Z4, the 370z and the Alfa 4c and slots right in the middle of all of those as far as size. 

Interesting that it's a pure 2-seater.

-Rob

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/14/19 9:57 a.m.

I like it. I would drive it. I don't have $50k I'm dropping on it. 

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/14/19 10:03 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Specs summary:

3L turbo I6, 335hp, 365ft-lbs

8-speed manually shiftable auto ( frown)

Weight: 3397lbs

Suspension: Can't find good info on the front, may be macstrut or superstrut. Rear is multilink. Aluminum control arms, adaptive dampers.

Forged 19" wheels, 255/35/19 front, 275/35/19 rear

0-60 in 4.1sec, top speed limited to 155mph

Strictly a 2-seater

Pretty nice numbers, especially the weight in this day and age. Unfortunately, it looks like a Frisbee that's had too much styling thrown at it. It's not terrible-looking, but it's overwrought.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
1/14/19 10:05 a.m.

Yeah, still not feeling the origami styling Toyota is doing. 

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
1/14/19 10:07 a.m.
rob_lewis said:

97.2" wheelbase means it's a smidge shorter than a Z4. ...

Interesting, because it kind of looks a bit like a Z4 with a crap load of vents and slots added to it.

They had the prototype in one of the Grand Tourismo games.  Wow, was that an understeering pig!  I would hope that was either a bad representation or they have changes.  BTW the winged Supra (2nd gen?) was also horribly front heavy in the game.

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
1/14/19 10:08 a.m.
rob_lewis said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

97.2" wheelbase means it's a smidge shorter than a Z4.  I'm willing to bet it's close enough to give an idea of size.  Granted, how it uses that wheelbase and such will make a big difference in how it looks, but that should give an estimate.

I'd guess this will compete with the Z4, the 370z and the Alfa 4c and slots right in the middle of all of those as far as size. 

Interesting that it's a pure 2-seater.

-Rob

The wheelbase is identical to the 2020 Z4, which makes sense because It's mechanically a Z4 under the skin. Toyota announced they'd partner with BMW on this car back in 2012. BMW developed the platform, engine, trans, etc and Toyota put their own body, interior and tuning on it. So the Z4 comparison seems about right. But the Z4 gets almost 50 more hp so...

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/14/19 10:20 a.m.

I def like it, I thought the MKIII and MKIV Supra's were ugly. Can see myself owning this one though. I bet the resale on them will be high being that it's a Toyota and an expensive Toyota. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
1/14/19 10:33 a.m.

So, they are finally making a FR-S that has more power?

I don't see anything to like from a styling point of view, but seeing a car in person is different than seeing a few pictures. Maybe I will like it more in 3D.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/14/19 10:43 a.m.

I want to love it, but there is something up with the front. Maybe a big, gnarly splitter would help with the looks. 

Disappointing it's so downtuned compared to the Z4 and 240 cars. 

NOHOME
NOHOME UltimaDork
1/14/19 10:52 a.m.

In reply to T.J. :

So, they are finally making a FR-S that has more power?

That was my exact first thought. Body-wise, I see the FRS with French lingerie.  Pretty to the eye but not practical. I have always been a "less is more" person when it comes to styling. ie NA Miata is better than NB styling-wise.

I certainly don't hate it, and as all of my cars have been functionally two seaters, this could work. But I would be 61 when it came out and if I follow my trend driving this into my 70's. Hard to envision!

The other thing to consider is that in Canada it comes to 90k with our 13% sales tax and that is not counting the Canada markup and Dealer gouging that will be going on. Doubt one will leave the showroom for under 100k.

I hope they make it just like it is and that they sell a boat load of them.

Pete

Titan4
Titan4 New Reader
1/14/19 11:13 a.m.
GameboyRMH said:

Suspension: Can't find good info on the front, may be macstrut or superstrut.

The press release I saw said double-joint spring strut front suspension.  I guess that's a BMW thing.  I'm not sure how it differs from a Mac Strut - it looks pretty much like a Macstrut to me.

tjbell
tjbell Reader
1/14/19 11:13 a.m.

This is the product of a FRS/BRZ and BMW Z4 clusterberkeley.  that said, I do not like it Sam I am, I do not like your Green eggs and 
Ham

the inside is straight BMW too. No thanks

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
1/14/19 11:23 a.m.

Hate the styling -- wow there's some strange contours in the body lines.  Hope it drives great though. 

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
1/14/19 11:31 a.m.

Looks like a BMW to me (especially the back), but then again I guess that's because that's what it is.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
1/14/19 11:32 a.m.
tjbell said:

This is the product of a FRS/BRZ and BMW Z4 clusterberkeley.  that said, I do not like it Sam I am, I do not like your Green eggs and 
Ham

the inside is straight BMW too. No thanks

The twins literally have nothing to do with this car. 

GameboyRMH
1/14/19 11:59 a.m.
Titan4 said:
GameboyRMH said:

Suspension: Can't find good info on the front, may be macstrut or superstrut.

The press release I saw said double-joint spring strut front suspension.  I guess that's a BMW thing.  I'm not sure how it differs from a Mac Strut - it looks pretty much like a Macstrut to me.

Yeah looks like it's macstrut, and some sites didn't translate BMW's marketing term for macstrut well.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
1/14/19 12:05 p.m.
carguy123 said:

Looks like a BMW to me (especially the back), but then again I guess that's because that's what it is.

and is being built in Austria

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
1/14/19 12:37 p.m.
STM317 said:the Z4 gets almost 50 more hp so...

I'm not surprised by that, BMW's not going to outdue itself with someone else's badge on the bumper

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
1/14/19 12:52 p.m.

I don't know how anyone can see this other than a let down.

It took toyota this long to put a new skin on a z4? They missed everything about it. bmw interior. bmw platform. toyota sheet metal. Do you think the reason the 4th gen was so successful is because of the sheet metal? 

hyundai made an exciting RWD sports car for 30k. The big three are making high HP cars for under 40k. This isn't BMW. this is toyota. know your damn place, and hire some actual engineers to design some stuff. 

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/14/19 1:04 p.m.

Someone took the BMW Z4 roadster and added a bunch of ugly, ill-designed plastic bits to it.  And they slowed it down. Then slapped an iconic name from Toyota's glory days on it. It's ugly from every angle, and the only parts that work are the bits of BMW you can still see.  Not sure what the Z will look like, but if its anything like this, it will be the winner in the looks department. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zlnwT63qpT2LHpZQUNPDny0qMV187B7e7KzPCYnB5gNcGtOJH1l9LKHpnLiYr3Rr