1 2 3 ... 9
JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
5/12/19 4:57 p.m.
feature_image

The new 2020 Toyota Supra is finally here, and we’ve got the scoop on how we think this car will perform as your next track toy. We got the chance to drive the all-new 2020 Supra at Toyota’s North American media launch at Summit Point Motorsports Park, and came away feeling that it was a good track car off the …

Read the rest of the story

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
5/12/19 5:06 p.m.

Possibly the ugliest car ever designed.

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/12/19 5:25 p.m.
HapDL said:

I was gonna say in that color it reminds me of a large RF.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
5/12/19 5:28 p.m.

I kind of dig the overall look, but the front end below the headlights is way too busy. 

That said, I do appreciate that the look of the lights and rear end are a nice throwback to teh previous Supra (though I never liked how those looked either, in truth). 

But looks are irrelevant at this point for me. If it's not offered with a traditional manual, it's not on my list of things to look at buying for my next car, no matter how good the automatic is or what other features the car might have. 

TJL
TJL Reader
5/12/19 5:31 p.m.
HapDL said:

It looks kinda ug to me. Gap tooth, google eye, high rear end. That thing is all over the place. 

It looks nice from the side. I think the Z4 looks much better, at least less visually offensive to me. The 90’s supra looked very good to me. Probably the last toyota that i thought looked good. 

This is like the weird mashup of a viper gts(roof bumps) and a alfa romeo giulia. 

I’d never be a potential customer for one in general, but yeah, without a real manual transmission, definitely a no-go. 

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
5/12/19 6:09 p.m.

Having spent some time with a 1999 Z3 M Coupe, both on the track and long drives at speed, I am looking for some time in this car. Yes, the dork has a stick and it is also sporting a supercharger, but the rear suspension is at best a compromise

I for one have given into the "8" speed, I did a SCCA time trials at Buttonwillow in a Camaro SS 1LE and I now know it's better than I am.

I would second getting it on a set of RE-71's, those I have no issue with. They work in the damp as well as dry.  Can you turn off the Nannies?

Rodan
Rodan HalfDork
5/12/19 6:20 p.m.

Not a pretty car... like most cars these days, it looks like it was designed by committee.

And that console...  looks like it was designed for the RHD version??

It does sound nice, though...  smiley

JG Pasterjak
5/12/19 6:56 p.m.
jr02518 said:

Having spent some time with a 1999 Z3 M Coupe, both on the track and long drives at speed, I am looking for some time in this car. Yes, the dork has a stick and it is also sporting a supercharger, but the rear suspension is at best a compromise

I for one have given into the "8" speed, I did a SCCA time trials at Buttonwillow in a Camaro SS 1LE and I now know it's better than I am.

I would second getting it on a set of RE-71's, those I have no issue with. They work in the damp as well as dry.  Can you turn off the Nannies?

All the nannies turn off fairly easily, actually. It's very track-friendly in that regard.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/12/19 7:08 p.m.

It’s growing on me.  I’m starting to like it.

MichaelYount
MichaelYount HalfDork
5/12/19 7:35 p.m.

Sorry - can't get past the fact that it's just a (barely) re-bodied BMW.  And what's with a "track test" with no detailed performance numbers?

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/12/19 7:42 p.m.

Is that a harness bar I see behind the seats?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/12/19 8:02 p.m.

Well played

former520
former520 HalfDork
5/12/19 8:18 p.m.

I want to be the first to call the faux harness bar the 'birth control bar'.  Named due to the fact it keeps the seat from being reclined all the way back!

JG Pasterjak
5/12/19 8:37 p.m.
MichaelYount said:

Sorry - can't get past the fact that it's just a (barely) re-bodied BMW.  

82 242-6.2L Volvo; '17 Mazda3; '16 X-Trek

Serious question: Why is this a bad thing?

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/12/19 8:56 p.m.

I like it. I'll take one in black or white, please! 

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
5/12/19 9:12 p.m.

JG,

Can the screen in the middle of the dash, the one that obstructs your vision be made to disappear?

Or at least turn it off?

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
5/12/19 9:17 p.m.

While it has a pretty side profile, things drastically change when moving either direction. When I see the nose, I see this:

And when we move the the back, I see:

and if you think that means I like the ass end of this car, no. No way.  It looks like the flat pancake I’ve pictured above, with a thong sticking out, awkwardly. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
5/12/19 9:22 p.m.

In a break from all the hate...

Do you have a close up/higher res shot that includes the top of the strut tower?  Usually this is a stamped area... I'm curious how they are building the strengthening ribs into it.  

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/12/19 9:37 p.m.

Love it.  No manual, no PDK, only auto....  really dislike that.

parker
parker Reader
5/12/19 9:59 p.m.

In reply to HapDL :

Have you seen the Civic Type R?

As for the new Supra.  I agree with most of the sentiments here.  It's ugly and no manual.  No thank you.

JG Pasterjak
5/12/19 10:01 p.m.
jr02518 said:

JG,

Can the screen in the middle of the dash, the one that obstructs your vision be made to disappear?

Or at least turn it off?

I think you can turn it off, but it's not really in the eyeline. From where you sit the top of the screen is below the end of the dash. Never bugged me at all.

JG Pasterjak
5/12/19 10:04 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:

Love it.  No manual, no PDK, only auto....  really dislike that.

But, it works just fine. If you got in the car and I told you it was a dual clutch I bet you wouldn't know the difference. It goes up when you press up, down when you press down, and there's no converter lag noticeable. Everyone is getting way too hung up on details and not paying enough attention to how the thing actually works.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/12/19 10:20 p.m.

I like it.

But...

For the price they are asking, I'll imagine driving a much better car that I also can't afford. $55k, $250k or $1,000,000, it's all the same past a certain point for me.

jr02518
jr02518 Reader
5/12/19 10:26 p.m.

JG,

Cal Club is having an event the weekend of June 8-9th at Buttonwillow that includes a Time Trial, the event is going to be run counter clockwise.  I volunteer to focus on how it works.

I might have the M Coupe to do a comparison, if that helps.

David 

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
5/12/19 10:33 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
MichaelYount said:

Sorry - can't get past the fact that it's just a (barely) re-bodied BMW.  

82 242-6.2L Volvo; '17 Mazda3; '16 X-Trek

Serious question: Why is this a bad thing?

There are differences between a Toyota and a BMW beyond just the badge. How it’s built and serviced, how reliable it is, and how it “feels.” Does this feel like a bmw or a Toyota? Why buy this over the z4? 

1 2 3 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hcHoZR8Zgfw6eDvne2EQsxZa2DpD2mI25knW6wVg0m8pLPZbZJkq8H5hzojbyRHP