1 2
Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/26/21 10:16 a.m.
feature_image

797 horsepower.

That’s how much the spec sheet tells us the supercharged, 6.2-liter Hemi Hellcat “High Output” V8 under the hood of the Charger Hellcat Redeye makes.

To put that kind of power into perspective, the Lamborghini Aventador S only makes 730 horsepower, and the Redeye manages to edge out the 789-horsepower Ferrari 812 Superfast.

So yeah, that’s a lot of power …

Read the rest of the story

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/26/21 10:29 a.m.

I saw three of these testing in Michigan this week. They sound glorious.

NickD
NickD MegaDork
3/26/21 10:33 a.m.

Man, what a time we live in, where you can buy a 797hp widebody sedan with a warranty from a Dodge dealer.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit UltraDork
3/26/21 10:33 a.m.

These cars are mind bending fast, when  you think about the low buy in they are a screaming deal. Another thing is  these cars can creap through bumper to bumper traffic in late August  with out overheating and with no twitching. Once you get to the open road they will take off like a rocket. 

The one thing not mentioned is these cars require no crazy maintenance and they can be serviced at any number of Dodge dealers around the nation. 

I think we are in the Golden age of horse power.

ultraclyde (Forum Supporter)
ultraclyde (Forum Supporter) UltimaDork
3/26/21 10:34 a.m.

I'm not a Dodge fan in general, but the late model chargers are pretty cool. Even the rental 5.7L I had was a good car, although the rental-spec interior was cheap. Given the chance to have one of these...I'd jump on it.  

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/26/21 11:02 a.m.

797 horsepower is only a couple of hundred or so shy of the output of the very early Rolls-Royce V12 Merlin engine (27-litres (1,650 cu in). A guy a few blocks over from us had 2018 5.7 Challenger that he said was pretty darn quick (he also had a 69 GTO with a Pont 455 plugged into the thing). And ya, I too think that we're in the 'golden age' of HP.

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
3/26/21 11:24 a.m.

This may or may not be controversial, but I view the Charger and especially the Challenger as some of the last true muscle cars, as cars like the Camaro and Mustang have moved on from their muscle car roots.

Yeah, they are just as fast and can be faster, but they seem to have evolved into proper sports cars, whereas the Charger and Challenger are big, heavy cars with massive engines.

Also, don't think I haven't kept the Charger in the back of my mind as the next family hauler.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/26/21 12:05 p.m.

Yeah, if I got lottery money I'd probably buy one just like that, in white and everything, just for the grins.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/21 12:42 p.m.

I saw a 392 wide body charger yesterday, very drool worthy.

bgkast (Forum Supporter)
bgkast (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/26/21 12:45 p.m.

The want is strong

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/26/21 12:52 p.m.

Go back 10 years: Did you ever think that a car boasting something even close to these numbers would be sold through the local dealer? No special tuners, no one-off builds. 

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
3/26/21 12:59 p.m.

I discounted these cars for a long time as something I wouldn't enjoy.  Too big, too heavy, and questionable styling on all but this last generation.  Then I got one as a rental to drive back-n-forth from Atlanta to Birmingham on a business trip.  It was "just an RT" and it had me questioning my WRX as a family hauler.  I was sad when I returned it.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/26/21 1:03 p.m.
Matt B (fs) said:

I discounted these cars for a long time as something I wouldn't enjoy.  Too big, too heavy, and questionable styling on all but this last generation.  Then I got one as a rental to drive back-n-forth from Atlanta to Birmingham on a business trip.  It was "just an RT" and it had me questioning my WRX as a family hauler.  I was sad when I returned it.

Truth, my brother had an 06 300c SRT8 that was soooo much fun. Double the HP and add some more tire and what a good time we will have.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/26/21 1:10 p.m.

I agree 100%.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/26/21 1:11 p.m.

I agree 100% with Colin Wood.

Matt B (fs)
Matt B (fs) UltraDork
3/26/21 1:50 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Nope. I did not see that coming.

It's incredible what Dodge/Chrysler-now-Stellantis is doing.  When other companies can't figure out how to make money on cars in general let alone performance models, they've produce an array of powerful RWD sedans at a profit.  It just goes to show you the average buyer doesn't give a hoot about what generation "platform" they're driving. Is it cool? Is it fun?  Is it functional too? Done. Shut up and take my money.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/26/21 2:08 p.m.

I spent some time at the Bondurant track in Phoenix a couple of months ago. The place is littered with Hellcats and a few of the Redeyes. They say that the rear tires last 4 days on average. They're using these things to try to teach autox skills laugh

They do have to work a bit on their naming, though. 6 words, one of which is a three word acronym so really it's 8. Doesn't quite trip off the tongue and it means people like me are always forgetting which one is the really super duper extremely special variant and not just the super duper special one.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/26/21 2:30 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

They do have to work a bit on their naming, though. 6 words, one of which is a three word acronym so really it's 8. Doesn't quite trip off the tongue and it means people like me are always forgetting which one is the really super duper extremely special variant and not just the super duper special one.

All I know is my young boys know whenever they see the hood, and the cat, and go "DADS THATS A HELLCAT"

Often they can hear them coming

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/26/21 2:44 p.m.
Duke said:

Yeah, if I got lottery money I'd probably buy one just like that, in white and everything, just for the grins.

Actually, if it was lottery money paying, I would be physically unable to stop myself from getting it wrapped like this:

https://patchesofpride.files.wordpress.com/2012/12/hellcatc.jpg?w=584

Keith Tanner
3/26/21 2:57 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Keith Tanner said:

All I know is my young boys know whenever they see the hood, and the cat, and go "DADS THATS A HELLCAT"

But Hellcat is only 2/3 of the way through the name :) This is a Hellcat plus Demon plus Widebody!

Edit: No, Hellcat + Redeye + Widebody. I may have just proved my own point.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/26/21 2:59 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Keith Tanner said:

But Hellcat is only 2/3 of the way through the name :) This is a Hellcat plus Demon plus Widebody!

Like a Countach and so many iterations, it is really a one name car. 

Keith Tanner
3/26/21 3:07 p.m.
mr2s2000elise said:
Keith Tanner said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Keith Tanner said:

But there's a Charger Hellcat and a Challenger Hellcat and a Durango Hellcat at least. Hardly variations on the same car.  There's a Demon which is something else. There's a Redeye which may or may not be a Demon, I'm not sure. Widebody I understand, unless it also implies mechanical changes.

Seriously, I spent a weekend surrounded by these things and I still didn't know if the one with 1320 on the fender was a Hellcat or something else.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise UltraDork
3/26/21 3:10 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Keith Tanner said:
mr2s2000elise said:
Keith Tanner said:

But there's a Charger Hellcat and a Challenger Hellcat and a Durango Hellcat at least. Hardly variations on the same car.  There's a Demon which is something else. There's a Redeye which may or may not be a Demon, I'm not sure. Widebody I understand, unless it also implies mechanical changes.

Seriously, I spent a weekend surrounded by these things and I still didn't know if the one with 1320 on the fender was a Hellcat or something else.

When I mentioned my boys, I meant that they could easily tell the difference in Hellcat in the Charger body, vs the wannabe 392 vs the pedestrian rental specs ones. Then again, we come from a breed of people who could tell the difference between a HF/DX/LX/EX/Si/EX v6/ EX-L, from a mile away by spotting lack of passenger mirror, and non body color handles, and pea shooter exhaust pipes with no chrome tip.  Maybe we are weird. 

Now if someone can't tell the difference between a Hellcat Charger and a Hellcat Durango (which isn't what I was talking about at all) - they have much bigger problems in life

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/26/21 3:18 p.m.

Used the standard hellkitty chargers are now buyable in the high 30's.  This is the likely V1 replacement to have something that is rowdy and less of a project.  Daily driving a teenager is affordable but becoming tiring in terms of upkeep.  If you are interested in the challenger hellkitty it can be had high 20's low 30's used...

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
3/26/21 3:22 p.m.
84FSP said:

Used the standard hellkitty chargers are now buyable in the high 30's.  This is the likely V1 replacement to have something that is rowdy and less of a project.  Daily driving a teenager is affordable but becoming tiring in terms of upkeep.  If you are interested in the challenger hellkitty it can be had high 20's low 30's used...

No they are not. Mid 40;s for a car you would actually buy. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWoRGvCKLNpNke9go6QsYb6NGwwXczR42QzRJmuKOat65dGCWvS8k4XfbldEersW