The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
6/17/22 3:19 p.m.

Sure, this might not be the electric Mustang many of us had in mind, but it still has an awful lot going for it.

[I have a Mustang Mach-E. What do you want to know?]

How does it stack up against a growing field of electric vehicles, and how does it perform as an everyday, do-it-all car?

Keep reading to …

Read the rest of the story

oneway
oneway New Reader
6/18/22 11:04 p.m.

Great article and honest reviews.  My biggest question about electric cars is the actual cost of daily driving.  For decades we have the MPG ratings clearly stated on the vehicles, X number of miles on 1 gallon of gas.  Simple math, but the variable has been the cost of the gallon over the decades.  I have yet to see, or maybe have just missed it, how many kilowatts needed to go X number of miles.  Like gas prices, kilowatt prices vary from region to region but it can give us a good estimate on how much additional electricity-kilowatts- do we need to use to keep the battery fully charged overnight?  Easy to find your kilowatt cost on the monthly utility bill and then get a rough estimate on the actual cost of fuel-in this case kilowatts not gallons-to have an EV as your daily driver.  Thanks for a great magazine and informative website, John-LugSC,

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/19/22 12:51 a.m.

In reply to oneway :

it's available in the same place you'd find the MPG ratings: fueleconomy.gov

Here's the Mach-E.

It's rated at 37 kWh for 100 miles. So figure roughly 3 miles per kWh as a rule of thumb - that's about typical for a non-Hummer EV. Some do slightly better, some slightly worse. And of course, driving style and conditions have an effect. But that's a good start. Last time I checked, our EV was bang on the rated consumption over 20,000 miles.

The chargers have very little loss (note - see some posts below where the amount is discussed), so you can figure that if you drove 100 miles it'll take 37 kWh to refill the battery overnight. At the national average of roughly 15c per kWh, that's $5.55 for 100 miles if you're charging at home. 

BillKeksz
BillKeksz New Reader
6/19/22 6:55 a.m.

Keith - What EV are you driving?

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/22 9:38 a.m.

Wow, have times changed- when I started driving, 0-60 in 4.8 seconds wasn't possible in anything you could buy,  now it's apparently "not fast" according to Tom.

Keith Tanner
6/19/22 11:02 a.m.
BillKeksz said:

Keith - What EV are you driving?

I've had a Model 3 Dual Motor for a few years. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/19/22 11:32 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

Would it be better if I said "0.3 seconds faster to 60 than a new Camry" laugh

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/19/22 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

What makes the new Camry not fast?  

(one of my pet peeves over the last two decades- so much performance on speed performance over all else...  as if people actually use it- I'm betting that most posters have encountered that really cool new BMW going really slow on the freeway on-ramp.)

Keith Tanner
6/19/22 12:00 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

I went to a C&C with the Targa Miata, the first time it's been in front of the local public for a while. One of the kids heard the 500 hp figure and said "well, I guess it's light so that's not too bad" laugh

Perceptions have changed. 

DrMikeCSI
DrMikeCSI New Reader
6/19/22 9:04 p.m.

My 2001 Mustang couldn't do 60 in 4.8 seconds. 

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/19/22 9:34 p.m.

Nice review - my parents are talking about buying one of them (they seem to prefer the Ioniq5, but apparently no Hyundai dealer in this region actually HAS one).

I did chuckle at the "The cargo cover lifts up with the hatch so it doesn’t get in your way" as "attention to detail/well-thought-out." Is that not something you usually see? Pretty much any VW hatchback (Golf/GTI) has had that for decades. Hell, I think my 1987 Integra did that (or not)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
6/19/22 10:03 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The chargers have very little loss, so you can figure that if you drove 100 miles it'll take 37 kWh to refill the battery overnight. At the national average of roughly 15c per kWh, that's $5.55 for 100 miles if you're charging at home. 

From what I have read, this varies, but is generally in the 5-15% range, with the lower voltage chargers being worse.  Superchargers or other really high voltage public chargers seem to be damn near 100%.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/

Keith Tanner
6/20/22 9:57 a.m.
ProDarwin said:
Keith Tanner said:

The chargers have very little loss, so you can figure that if you drove 100 miles it'll take 37 kWh to refill the battery overnight. At the national average of roughly 15c per kWh, that's $5.55 for 100 miles if you're charging at home. 

From what I have read, this varies, but is generally in the 5-15% range, with the lower voltage chargers being worse.  Superchargers or other really high voltage public chargers seem to be damn near 100%.

https://www.caranddriver.com/features/a36062942/evs-explained-charging-losses/

Good link, thanks. Car and Driver isn't usually my first stop for carefully researched data, but it looks like they monitored actual energy consumption of the charger on their long term Model 3 which is the way to do it instead of an extreme 0-100% charging session. 95% efficiency average for home charging with a 240v charger is in line with what I've come across on other data sets, and high enough that you don't need to take it into account for back-of-the-envelope math where I was also knocking the last couple of decimal places off the cost of electricity. But if you want to add it into my previous statement, it would take 39 kWh to add 37 kWh to the battery at 95% charger efficiency, or $5.84.

One interesting point I've seen is that short sessions are lower efficiency for Level 1, so there's a cost to starting the charge cycle. I expect this is likely related to matching the temperature. Level 2 does not suffer as much in that scenario.

(For those not familiar, Level 1 and Level 2 chargers refer to how fast they can deliver power. Level 1 is a fairly slow option running 120v that will only add about 3 miles of range for every hour. Figure it's the space saver spare tire of charging, but it works for hybrids due to their small battery size. Level 2 runs off 240v and is what you'll find in most permanently installed home chargers or the chargers you've probably seen around town. It'll charge your EV overnight and typically runs about 30 miles of range per hour in a home install. Level 3 is faster and outputs DC power, usually called a fast or high speed charger. Over 1000 miles of range per hour is possible.)

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
6/20/22 10:00 a.m.

In reply to irish44j (Forum Supporter) :

Sorry, I should have worded it better. It doesn't tilt up like those cars--it completely removes itself from the trunk when you open it. The front and rear are tied to the hatch. It's a pretty clever design.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/20/22 1:44 p.m.

How's this for meta: following a Mach-E while driving a Mach-E. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/20/22 1:45 p.m.

Also, maybe it's me, and maybe it's subtle, but from behind the wheel, the Mach-E's hood reminds me of an SN-95. There's just something about the contours.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XHNodH8R95SkBO6qwfLj8qAsTfkqIb4NM947zq2Yqbpu91Zw08YDCEICgomdX8HD