Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
10/18/21 8:06 a.m.
feature_image

Built on the same platform as the Kia Soul and the Hyundai Kona, the Seltos is one of six SUV-like options available from Kia (seven if you want to count the new Carnival MPV).

We test drove the top-trim SX that comes standard with a turbocharged inline-four, all-wheel-drive and a dual-clutch transmission.

Does that formula make for an engaging drive? …

Read the rest of the story

No Time
No Time SuperDork
10/18/21 8:35 a.m.

We looked at the Seltos in the spring when we were shopping, but ended up going with the Sportage. 

The Seltos seemed nice enough in the show room, but my wife found enough little things she didn't like that we never even drove it. 

As for the Sportage, we went with the Nightfall Edition and have been happy with it. We've put >6k miles on the Sportage, including trips to VA and NJ with a 12 and 18yo in the back seat. 

While it took a little time to get used to all the electronic features and nannies, I actually appreciate the blind spot notifications. 

It lacks the space of the Sedona it replaced, but still fits luggage for 4 passengers or hockey bags for 2 kids without intruding into the passenger space (except the hockey stick).

NickD
NickD MegaDork
10/18/21 8:53 a.m.

The front end styling on these makes me think of a Skoda.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/18/21 8:54 a.m.

In reply to NickD :

But despite Kia's updated styling, they have retained the pinched grille. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/18/21 7:27 p.m.

The control arms on these look like they could widen the front track of an FC by a few inches, but the aftermarket has not picked up on these yet and new and even used ones are crazy expensive.

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
10/18/21 8:28 p.m.

I have a 2021 Seltos. Just the LX with the 2.0 4 cylinder. I get 30 mpg on the expressway and I'm a lead foot.If I go easy I can get a little more but what fun is that. I use it as a work car. I carry extra clothes, rubber boots and a grease gun with other small tools in the back. Have had no complaints. Yeah it's no rocket ship but I didn't expect it to be. I'm waiting for winter so I can see how the AWD does. A friend of mine, his daughter bought a 2020 when they came out. She has the turbo 4. She has had it back at the dealer at least 4 times. Always the same problem, go out to leave and it doesn't start. The dealer is stumped as is KIA. They have changed a bunch of modules and other electrical on it. Last I heard they were talking about a buy back. When I took mine in for an oil change, the writer said KIA might take it and disassemble it to find what's wrong. Is that common for car companies to do? I don't know, but I really like mine so far.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KHoAyWgu246oaSg8tGsVcQM00ByKL62YbGoB7c9wjHxJJucy6Y7FjgKcqzd7bgl3