David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/4/21 12:59 p.m.
feature_image

Show officials pushed back this year’s affair from its traditional spring date but, well, it wasn’t enough. The 2021 New York International Auto Show has been canceled.

No official word on the schedule debuts, including the unveiling of the forthcoming Nissan Z

Read the rest of the story

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/4/21 1:00 p.m.

Statement from New York Auto Show President Mark Schienberg:

It is with great disappointment that the upcoming 2021 New York International Automobile Show at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center has been cancelled due to the growing incidences of the Covid-19 Delta variant and the increased measures announced recently by State and local officials to stop its spread.  

We are enormously appreciative of the automobile industry’s tremendous response and commitment in participating in an August New York Auto Show, and especially for the overwhelming involvement in the new EV Test Fest, complete with an entire floor dedicated to electric vehicles and four indoor EV test tracks.  

Eight years ago, New York decided to introduce show attendees to electric vehicles by organizing its first EV test drive. Large scale adoption of EVs back in 2013 was questionable, but the program was a success and helped pave the way for future events. Auto shows have always been an opportunity to showcase an industry on the move and the New York Show is proud to be part of that heritage.   

As custodians of the 121-year-old New York Auto Show, we are committed to providing a safe environment for everyone including attendees, exhibitors, and the thousands of men and women who put the Show together. Over the past few weeks, and especially within the last few days, circumstances have changed making it more difficult to create an event at the high standard that we and our clients expect.  

At the onset of planning for the August Show, we were increasingly excited at the prospect of hosting the event as the number of vaccinations in New York continued to climb and mask-wearing reduced the spread in the City. All signs were positive, and the Show was coming together stronger than ever, but today is a different story. 

Each year, attendees rely on auto shows to help make important buying decisions, spending an average of almost five hours at the exhibition, with nearly 72% of those visitors indicating that they are in the market to purchase a vehicle over the next 12 months. We fully appreciate and acknowledge how important auto shows are to the automakers, retail new car and truck dealers and the public alike, and we strongly believe in the future of these valuable marketing events.  

The Covid pandemic has challenged our City, the country and the entire world, but just like the automobile industry, we know that the New York Auto Show will rebound and be bigger and better than before. 

We firmly believe that will be the case when the Show returns to its regular spring schedule in April 2022. 

Stay safe.  

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/4/21 1:23 p.m.

I'm going to say, without commentary, just lock the comments now and obviously leave this up as an informative press release. I doubt that anything beneficial will come from commentary. 

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/4/21 1:24 p.m.

I'm not that surprised.  Things are getting bad again

David S. Wallens
8/4/21 1:25 p.m.

This one wasn't on my schedule this year, but it's still a bummer because it's so personal. My dad used to take us as kids. I remember grabbing every brochure possible. Years later, while home from school, I saw a forthcoming sports car on display called the Miata. I know it was shown earlier, but this was before internet while I basically lived in a bubble in Athens. 

More recently, I'd meet up with my uncle and cousin for an after-hours get-together hosted by their local Porsche dealer. It was fun to introduce them to my friends (hi Kurt) and then walk the show together.

And then are annual seder with friends, possibly my favorite event of the year.

Le sigh.

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/4/21 2:11 p.m.

Ugh 

David S. Wallens
8/4/21 2:26 p.m.

Just remembered: We saw the Any Car at the show. (At least, pretty sure I saw it there.)

Jerry
Jerry PowerDork
8/4/21 3:18 p.m.

Damn.  The new Z, and wasn't this the unveiling of the new WRX?

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
8/4/21 3:27 p.m.

I'm kinda bummed.  It was a long-shot if I could get there this year, but there was a chance.  Fingers crossed for 2022, but I'm not holding my breath. 

David S. Wallens
8/5/21 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Ian F (Forum Supporter) :

I'm assuming that the 2022 show would move back to its traditional spring date. Personally, I'm missing my family and friends up there. 

Wally (Forum Supporter)
Wally (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/21 9:20 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I am hoping so, that's a better time than summer 

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
8/5/21 11:59 a.m.

So bummed. As someone building an outlet from scratch, NYIAS has been an event I've looked forward to the past two years (right about when we got big enough to be approved as "media" for the press day) - was really hoping to meet some folks I've looked up to for a while now. 

In any case, I understand the "why" even though I don't like it.

Nissan Z launch is still happening and I am still attending, will be covering that evening on our Instagram and after the fact on our website/YouTube.

nash300z
nash300z GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/5/21 12:50 p.m.

The Z was always supposed to be revealed virtually on the 17th and the just go on display after. Countdown is still going on Nissan’s page indicating reveal will go ahead as planned, just won’t go to the show after.

Disappointing but understandable about the show.  We all wish the situation was different but it just... isn't. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 SuperDork
8/5/21 6:35 p.m.

From what I'm hearing from my family there I am not surprised.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wDsVqjx3w0cHhLnpyDG2E87Z7wur6ylWwkwBbMHQE5NBd4ZeSqujQIsLsyT1Y5Wk