1 2 3 4
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
6/7/22 11:58 a.m.

Yes, the 2022 Honda Civic Si is, on paper, down on power compared to the outgoing 10th generation model–but will anybody notice the five missing ponies? And, perhaps more importantly, how does it handle track use? Keep reading to find out.

Read the rest of the story

trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/7/22 2:50 p.m.

Can't help it!  Big fan of this car.  Wonderful commuter car.

jmhonnold
jmhonnold New Reader
6/7/22 2:59 p.m.

As the oringal owner of a 1990 CRX Si, I feel similarly to the analysis.  I may be old fashioned, but I would really like to see the comeback of a simple and fun car to drive.  The CRX Si was a great example of that.  It had everything I needed/wanted, A/C, heat, and radio.  Better yet it easily got 40 MPG on the highway.  It is too bad the direction of the auto industry is to cram 'features' in a car that detracts from the driving experience making the experience boring. 

DRSZone
DRSZone GRM+ Member
6/7/22 3:49 p.m.

too big, I mean it looks as big as the accord now. 

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/7/22 4:54 p.m.
DRSZone said:

too big, I mean it looks as big as the accord now. 

Luckily, it isn't. Still under 3000 lbs (a wonder these days), while also being a whole foot shorter, 3" narrower, and 2" lower.

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/7/22 4:58 p.m.

In reply to pointofdeparture :

Seriously?  That's pretty damn imressive these days.  Color me impressed.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/7/22 5:23 p.m.

Stop - I want one and this is generating interest.

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UltimaDork
6/8/22 3:37 p.m.

I've tried buying a Civic Si for a daily driver twice now, and fate intervened both times. In 2011, the Japanese Tsunami halted production and cars became scarce on the ground (and prices skyrocketed), and in late 2020, they had just discontinued the 10th gen cars and dealers were starting to charge crazy pandemic premiums for them. I ended up with competent competitors both times (a 2012 Mazda 3 2.5 S and a 2020 Kia Forte GT), but the Si still haunts me. I still consider the 8th Gen Si to be the daily driver benchmark, and both the cars I chose are close to that on paper, at least. 

I'm just glad Honda still makes a Si, and the current one seems like a great car. Maybe the stars will align next time I'm car shopping. 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
6/8/22 5:23 p.m.

I thought that I had a better photo of the two cars together but the newer one sits a bit lower. 

David S. Wallens
6/8/22 5:25 p.m.

Here's a (maybe) better shot of the two together.

6/8/22 5:25 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Sure makes the older one look homely.

David S. Wallens
6/8/22 5:27 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) :

A bit. And we really like our "old" one, but the new one is a bit refined. 

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/8/22 5:31 p.m.

I'm still debating getting a 10th gen coupe or wait for the 11th gen I have a deposit down on.

David S. Wallens
6/8/22 5:33 p.m.

I really miss our 10th gen coupe and was surprised to see the new car that much faster. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/8/22 7:38 p.m.

Dealer I bought my Pilot from - New Si?  I can get our normal $5,000 over MSRP down to a $3,000 adjustment.   

Other dealer - MSRP + $5,000 + 2 mandatory packages or figure $7,000 over MSRP.   

I'm ready for this to end......

pointofdeparture
pointofdeparture GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/8/22 8:28 p.m.

In reply to Datsun310Guy :

Don't go in the thread about DTC auto sales, you'll be told that's just one bad dealer and that the adjustments are because the dealer adds value to the process.

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/8/22 8:29 p.m.

Big props to Honda for keeping the weight down. It's a miracle. Especially given how huge this car looks. 

Also big props for making it look good. And for giving us a MT!

That turbo 1.5 makes me nervous based on what I've heard about it in the last gen, but maybe they ironed out the issues now.

6/8/22 8:38 p.m.
CyberEric said:

Big props to Honda for keeping the weight down. It's a miracle. Especially given how huge this car looks. 

Also big props for making it look good. And for giving us a MT!

That turbo 1.5 makes me nervous based on what I've heard about it in the last gen, but maybe they ironed out the issues now.

What issues are you speaking about?  I haven't heard anything negative.  

6/9/22 9:49 a.m.

Saw a new SI in the wild for the first time walking the dog last night.  It looks really great in person.  I think I've figured out what I like about it.  It's taken what works with (generic term here) 'Japanese' styling, but stops short of going all out and looking cartoonish.  It's a great development of the general Japanese car companies bold aggressive design language, without being so exaggerated to look like my adolescent car doodles at the back of class. 

CyberEric
CyberEric Dork
6/9/22 12:28 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)

Excessive oil dilution problems is one thing I know about. Honda extended the warranty to address it. I'm not an expert as I'm not in the market for a Honda with a 1.5T, but just heard some issues especially in cold climates and/or short drive cycles. Google to learn more, there are a bunch of articles and videos about it.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
6/9/22 1:44 p.m.

I would've loved to have one but I couldn't find one for less than $37k out the door in Florida, lower Alabama, or Georgia. They are also flying off the lots so there's no negotiating. Makes me regret selling my 10th gen a lot. 

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/9/22 2:13 p.m.

Two dealers in the Cincinnati area are selling Si's for $2,500 over MSRP - if you can get your name on one; another tacks on $1,500 for the (now) mandatory "exterior and interior protection package".  I, too, am ready for this bologna to end.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
6/9/22 4:59 p.m.

In reply to einy (Forum Supporter) :

$1500 isn't bad compared to the $5-$7,000 I heard lately.

This one feels pimped out to me.  can we still say that?

https://www.carmax.com/car/22445685

6/10/22 2:07 a.m.
CyberEric said:

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)

Excessive oil dilution problems is one thing I know about. Honda extended the warranty to address it. I'm not an expert as I'm not in the market for a Honda with a 1.5T, but just heard some issues especially in cold climates and/or short drive cycles. Google to learn more, there are a bunch of articles and videos about it.

That's pretty common on all DI engines.  Super high fuel pressures with short trips lots of stopping and starting = more fuel in the oil.  What do you think probably causes bore scoring in Porsche engines?  It's probably fuel washing the cylinder walls.  Gunked up intakes are also fairly common on DI.  Oil service intervals are again super important.  I will be taking longer trips in a warmer climate so that will help a bit.  Every engine design has its compromises.  

trucke
trucke SuperDork
6/10/22 9:41 a.m.

The new eleventh generation Si can sip fuel too!   This is a mix of about 70/30 hwy/city. Snapped this photo in the parking lot before going into the office.

Love the convenience options available too.  Always hated groceries being slung out of the bag and tossed around the trunk.  Now I've got a bag hook (backpack attached) and cargo netting which is sewn closed on the sides.  Netting attached to 4 'T' hooks for easy removal.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8GVM81vC64srIqnDtK6TTtHlvDCsglKsbNeIwLDDRHAPnjC8iTybvCUZhEKT2fUy