Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
7/14/22 4:25 p.m.
feature_image

We didn't sneak in a few laps, did we? (No, never.)

Read the rest of the story

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/14/22 9:48 p.m.

That car looks good. 

Lsxus
Lsxus New Reader
7/15/22 7:58 a.m.

How did the lack of a LSD do on the track? Any inside wheel spin powering out of corners?

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/15/22 8:14 a.m.

At first i was hating the looks of the new Sonata/Elantra cars but with the N-line and N they are starting to grow on me. The wheels are too busy but that is easily remedied.

290hp sounds fun.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/15/22 9:34 a.m.
Lsxus said:

How did the lack of an LSD do on the track? Any inside wheel spin powering out of corners?

Not really. It feels like there's some e-diff action going on, but it's pretty transparent to the experience. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/15/22 9:40 a.m.
kevinatfms said:

At first i was hating the looks of the new Sonata/Elantra cars but with the N-line and N they are starting to grow on me. The wheels are too busy but that is easily remedied.

290hp sounds fun.

I bet if you strapped it to a dyno it would throw those 290hp to the wheels, too. It sure feels stronger than that.

I have a feeling people are going to sleep on these cars as legitimate alternatives to euro bahn-burner sedans, and they're going to sit on dealer lots, and in 10 years they'll be bringing six figures on BaT.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
7/15/22 10:16 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I hope they are like some of the older bargains where they sell and people use them like appliances and then you can buy one for 30% of oriinal price in 5 years

Dead-Sled (ha!)
Dead-Sled (ha!) SuperDork
7/15/22 6:41 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Same here but I have noticed KDM holding onto their value lately. Not like the days of yore where we could scoop them up for cheap. 

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/15/22 6:50 p.m.

Kind of a shame that the Sonatas are going away. My son loves his and it only has the NA 2.5

kevinatfms
kevinatfms GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
7/18/22 8:54 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
kevinatfms said:

290hp sounds fun.

I bet if you strapped it to a dyno it would throw those 290hp to the wheels, too. It sure feels stronger than that.

I have a feeling people are going to sleep on these cars as legitimate alternatives to euro bahn-burner sedans, and they're going to sit on dealer lots, and in 10 years they'll be bringing six figures on BaT.

Im still pissed that companies like Cobb, Burger and others wont take the leap to bring tuning software to the Hynundai/Kia lineup. 

Seems like there is one single company making the effort and i think its still R&R the ECU for a reflash. 

Lsxus
Lsxus New Reader
7/18/22 10:10 a.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

https://burgertuning.com/collections/kia-hyundai/products/jb4-for-kia-hyundai-2?variant=40252914958510

dannyp84
dannyp84 Reader
7/18/22 10:14 a.m.
JG Pasterjak said:
kevinatfms said:

290hp sounds fun.

As long as they stay front wheel drive, I don't really consider them legitimate alternatives to the Euro sedans. I think that title goes to the smallest Genesis with the turbo V6. It is nice to see Hyundai really throwing R&D money at enthusiast cars though.

calteg
calteg SuperDork
7/18/22 5:34 p.m.

In reply to kevinatfms :

A lot of tuning companies are under the EPA microscope. A lot of the earlier turbo Hyundai/Kia cars also had inverse correlations between more boost/engine longevity.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
7/18/22 5:55 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

I hope they are like some of the older bargains where they sell and people use them like appliances and then you can buy one for 30% of oriinal price in 5 years

I think older Sonata Turbos are pretty cheap.  You can get one with very similar specs from 2012.  Slightly less power, slightly less weight.  Probably a much worse transmission though.

Hyundai seems to continue doing all the right things to all the wrong cars.

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
8/28/22 11:24 a.m.

My wife drives a Kia K5 GT-line with the base 1.6 turbo motor, and though it doesn't have the power of the GT, it's no slouch and can definitely get out of its own way.

I like the looks of the K5 better than the slightly droopy-looking Sonata, and the handling and interior quality are equal to the N-line.  I find the brakes on the K5 to be a bit touchy and overboosted, so maybe that's better on the Sonata.  Everything else about the K5 is pretty awesome.

Purchase thread here:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/out-with-the-old-in-with-the-new-k5/191390/page1/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2iClmguIExXomBfeYc3scb5DqKWqCbl5Xoc6x1rwwY8mftFMnhKUqkV2ugQl8LAK