1 2 3
alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/15/19 9:01 p.m.

The relative speeds of each lower class is a percentage of the next higher class.  That way you have a target speed to run to, and if you are sandbagging during practice and qualifying, but can run faster laps than you are supposed to- you can get a penalty.  That way the whole Ballance of Performance can work.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/15/19 9:04 p.m.
alfadriver said:

The relative speeds of each lower class is a percentage of the next higher class.  That way you have a target speed to run to, and if you are sandbagging during practice and qualifying, but can run faster laps than you are supposed to- you can get a penalty.  That way the whole Ballance of Performance can work.

Whatever happened to building the fastest car you could within the rules and racing it.......

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/19 12:33 a.m.
AnthonyGS said:
alfadriver said:

Whatever happened to building the fastest car you could within the rules and racing it.......

Spending wars and diminishing class sizes because of it. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/16/19 4:18 a.m.

I’v been catching selective ACO YouTube uploaded clips... while the family and I are off doing other stuff.  But watched this one...

and you can see even in the cover photo what I’m going to mention:  wow, the wheel is close to the drivers’ face in the Toyota’s.

also, it was interesting to hear the pro/am time penalties being dished out!

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
6/16/19 7:19 a.m.

When I passed out the Corvette was leading now they are eighth. 

Anyone know what happened?

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/16/19 8:08 a.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

I’m wondering the same thing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/16/19 8:12 a.m.
spacecadet said:
AnthonyGS said:
alfadriver said:

Spending wars and diminishing class sizes because of it. 

It does make it a lot easier for an OEM to justify paying money to enter  Looking at the GT field- there's a pretty wide variety of engine choices and car layouts that makes it a lot more interesting to watch, even if it's not 100% full out racing.

But I also kind of wish that OEM investment into efficiency would be more encouraged by putting a sharp limit on fuel flow and fuel and taking off all other BOP restraints.  Relative ot the FIA and AOC "goals"- that would fit into the whole making the fleet of cars better.   But who am I to suggest that....

Interesting race- I had thought Keeting would have lost GT Am after they got the penalty, but I see that the P car still had to pit one more time.

It was also interesting to see the extra emotion of all the teams winning a champtionship on top of winning their race, since this was the end of the season.

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
6/16/19 9:30 a.m.
alfadriver said:

But I also kind of wish that OEM investment into efficiency would be more encouraged by putting a sharp limit on fuel flow and fuel and taking off all other BOP restraints.  Relative ot the FIA and AOC "goals"- that would fit into the whole making the fleet of cars better.   But who am I to suggest that....

Unless you mean more than it is currently, fuel flow is already limited in LMP1, and now fuel flow meters are required in GTE-Pro starting at Le Mans although just for measuring purposes for now.

AnthonyGSsaid:Whatever happened to building the fastest car you could within the rules and racing it.......

We end up with 1 team that wants to spend money to the limit of the rules and dominate, then everyone says it's rigged and boring.  So then the best team is handicapped and everyone else calls that rigged and boring.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/16/19 9:52 a.m.

I feel bad for the drivers of the 7 Toyota.  Fastest car, fastest race lap ever and robbed because the wrong tire was changed at the end.  On the other had awesome to see the Wynn's Ford GT come in first.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
6/16/19 9:53 a.m.
j_tso said:
alfadriver said:

Unless you mean more than it is currently, fuel flow is already limited in LMP1, and now fuel flow meters are required in GTE-Pro starting at Le Mans although just for measuring purposes for now.

AnthonyGSsaid:Whatever happened to building the fastest car you could within the rules and racing it.......

We end up with 1 team that wants to spend money to the limit of the rules and dominate, then everyone says it's rigged and boring.  So then the best team is handicapped and everyone else calls that rigged and boring.

That logic reminds me of participation trophies, etc.  Changing rules to continually lower the bar....  you can achieve a new low easy.  This logic has ruined education, now it can ruin racing too.  Maybe the soccer world cup can adopt similar rules to take away the evil US women’s win over Thailand next.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
6/16/19 10:37 a.m.
j_tso said:
alfadriver said:

LMP1 is odd- since they only have Toyota competing, the rest of the field are LMP2 cars moved up- as you can tell with the Gibson engines.  But the work to make them "competitive" doesn't work all that well- so they call it LMP1 Hybrid vs. LMP1.  It's going to be interesting to see how they deal with the Hypercar rules, as it appears that's the path for the prototype future.  

The GT "limits" don't work all that well- as it *should* be a limit where the energy flow is equalized, thus allowing the various engine configurations to have an advantage or not- large V8 spinning slow vs small V8 spinning fast vs. turbo V6....  Let them all have the same fuel capacity, and then it will be up to the fastest car with the most efficient powertrain (power to fuel).  If that was really effective, the BOP would not be needed.

And I'm more not a fan of the FIA/AOC favoring a specific technology to win.  They did it for diesel until the EU realized that they were polluting more than saving fuel.  And up until now, they have done it for hybrids.  When you end up having one OEM investing in the technology, that should be a suggestion that it's the wrong path to take.

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/16/19 11:04 a.m.
Aaron_King said:

I feel bad for the driver sof the 7 Toyota.  Fastest car, fastest race lap ever and robbed because the wrong tire was changed at the end.  On the other had awesome to see the Wynn's Ford GT come in first.

My thoughts exactly.

As a side note, does anyone have an idea of how long it takes for them to go through any possible post-race penalties? There's been a fair amount of them the past couple of years (Ford and Ferrari protesting each other, LMP2 winner being excluded, etc.)

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/19 12:03 p.m.

Glad to see Keating and crew hoist the trophies. I know they put a lot of time and money into this year's effort so I was glad to see them come through. I wonder if they will have the trophies on display at the Viper Exchange when I'm down there this week. 

j_tso
j_tso New Reader
6/16/19 12:03 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I think the disqualified LMP2 team's appeal was rejected about 3 months after Le Mans and the matter closed.

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/16/19 5:59 p.m.

In reply to Nick Comstock :

Looks like with just a tad more than 3 hours to go, Jan Magnussen had a spin in the Porsche curves and hit a wall. Made it back to the pits, but the car had some suspension damage and they lost a couple laps fixing it. Before that they were running 2nd and the leading Ferrari was just about to pit which would've put them back in the lead if not for the spin.

https://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/a28044190/2019-24-hours-of-le-mans-the-live-blog/

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
6/16/19 6:04 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider :

Keating came through when it mattered. After replacing the nose of the car and spinning his tires in the pits, then serving a stop and go, he had a hard charging Jorg Bergmeister 5 seconds behind him. Ben managed to actually extend that gap a little and make it the next three laps until their final pit stop and driver change. I saw where he said, he went from fuel saving mode to max fuel burn mode, turned of the AC and even shutdown the alternator trying to eek out just a tiny bit more power to stay ahead of the pro driver. Pretty cool considering earlier in the race he seemed to be lapping 3-5 seconds slower than his pro-driver teammates. He handled the pressure like a boss. Great win.

spacecadet
6/17/19 12:40 p.m.

Marshall Pruett is saying on social media there are big changes coming to the GTE-AM results...

Something to do with fuel capacity.. 

I will be pissed if this is the case. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
6/17/19 12:57 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I read that, I hate decision made after the race.

06HHR
06HHR Dork
6/17/19 2:58 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

Motorsport.com just announced it.  https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/bourdais-ford-disqualified-le-mans/4476603/

spacecadet
6/17/19 3:04 p.m.
06HHR said:

In reply to spacecadet :

Motorsport.com just announced it.  https://www.motorsport.com/lemans/news/bourdais-ford-disqualified-le-mans/4476603/

Well that covers 1 car in GT Pro... so begs the question are all 5 GT's non compliant.. But I would believe that the other 4 are if this is the only one getting announced. 

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/17/19 3:19 p.m.

It says they had to modify tank  capacity at the track. I always heard they do this by putting some plastic balls in the tank to reduce how much gas it holds, or something. Dunno if that's right. Anyway, I can imagine them getting the exact adjustment just a smidge wrong on that car whilst having the others fall within spec. Also I don't know if GTE-Am would have received the same BOP adjustments, so maybe that car is off the hook anyway.

spacecadet
6/17/19 3:46 p.m.

Keating Loses GTE-AM win

Well berkeley ....

slowbird
slowbird New Reader
6/17/19 4:28 p.m.

Ugggggghhhhh

racerfink
racerfink UltraDork
6/17/19 4:44 p.m.

For less than 100mL’s of extra fuel.  About enough to run 1/4 mile or so further over 24 hours...  I know that technically, it’s a violation, but...

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/17/19 5:06 p.m.

Subject change:

I'm sure many of you saw it live during the race, or the short video afterward of the master rotor/caliper change on one of the Vettes. I'd be really curious to see how that is all designed to allow such a quick change. And for the caliper to just be on the fresh rotor (spring loaded to hold in place or something?)

I thought that was really cool.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jjSSYyWLtCnMR5fRPAIXjXRg839flABWzXiKJp2ayYfEXFtGfvE1yMwByK6FmaTz