skruffy
skruffy Dork
4/22/10 1:48 p.m.

Looks like I've got a guy interested in trading a '71 240z for one of my finished projects I can't get rid of (the saturn I've got in the classifieds). I guess it ran fine when they put it in storage a few years ago and now it won't start. It needs floors (I've never found a rust free one in ohio) and has a few other rust spots but has shiny paint, nice wheels, and is generally presentable. I need to go see it in person but from the pictures it's definitely in much, MUCH better shape than my rusty, twisted, primered, and wrecked a few times '70 and will be a much better starting place.

How do these things do on the track in relatively stock form? I'm looking for a reliable and easy to fix track rat that I won't feel to bad about wrecking (i.e. not my '06 GTI that I still owe a bunch of money on). I'd like to be able to get it running and reliable and just throw a set of good pads and tires under it and drive to the track. Is the stock brake hardware up to this task? Easy brake swaps? I recall the brakes on my '70 being pretty tiny but since I've never driven that car I've got no idea how well they work. Otherwise I'd like to limit mods to a bolt-in roll bar, seats, harnesses, and a good set of springs/shocks/sways. In general, a moderately streetable car I don't have to trailer to the track.

I seem to recall at lest one person on here having a 240z track car...

mblommel
mblommel GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/22/10 1:59 p.m.

In reply to skruffy:

I think there is a semi-lowbuck front brake swap that uses toyota 4 piston calipers and the stock spindles.

http://forums.hybridz.org/index.php?/topic/38499-brake-upgrade-faq/

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
4/22/10 2:25 p.m.

I don't know these cars, but I'm going to kind of assume that it fits into that category of car that doesn't have enough power to need outstanding braking performance...a "momentum" car.

I could be wrong, but I always got the impression that stock-cam classes (like Improved Touring) had a lot of cars that didn't really benefit from major brake upgrades.

Again, that's not really based on anything but talking to folks with heavy, underpowered cars.

It might not apply at all to the Z car.

Clem

skruffy
skruffy Dork
4/22/10 2:40 p.m.

From the linked thread it seems like I'll be fine on stock brakes with good pads/fluid and some ducting for the fronts. I might be interested in the rear disk swap just for easier service at the track.

pete240z
pete240z Dork
4/22/10 4:17 p.m.

This is how the my last Z left my driveway - 1971 240Z. The scrap guys are my buddies.

If you need to bail that Z out cheaply; call me.

SVTF
SVTF New Reader
4/22/10 7:47 p.m.

There is usually a 280Z driven by an instructor at the HPDEs I go to. It isn't terribly fast (my streetable Focus is faster around the track) but according to the driver parts are cheap and it is fun to drive.

More fun can be had by dropping in a V8...............

tuna55
tuna55 HalfDork
4/23/10 7:17 a.m.

very poor aerodynamics... but they look fantastic anyways.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
4/23/10 8:38 a.m.

I've got one of those rubber front air dams from my other 240z that'll end up on this one. I'm not sure if it actually helps the aero at all, it looks like it does and that's good enough for me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCGFzH0eoWClZK9HsVlAUHLKk7PPorFl5zDhIcYaWYZ97ayWu4PrIfcdbQ6oUanO