skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
12/6/13 8:16 a.m.

2014 will be our 1st time to the 24hr at Daytona. I'm looking for the "idiots guide" as to what to do (or avoid) and any helpful hints for attending....

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/6/13 8:17 a.m.

Bring comfortable shoes and beer

Double_Wishbone
Double_Wishbone Reader
12/6/13 8:22 a.m.

Where will you be parking? Infield or out? When I went a few years ago, we did not have infield parking and it was no fun walking all the way back to the car for cat naps and grabbing things. I'm not sure if you can buy infield parking at this time, but if you still can it's worth it.

That being said, it's really easy to have a great time. There are so many types of enthusiasts there all sharing in and enjoying the sport, so it's a great time. I'm hoping to go this year too, but nothing's official yet.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/6/13 8:28 a.m.

they have a tram that runs from the fanzone to the outside MANY times a day … saves a lot of mile long walks

even if you don't have a GRM experience ticket, be sure to come by/ hangout at the GRM tent … coffee and doughnuts each morning … TV's, slot car track (at least in the past) infield/pit tours that you can take part in (even without the "special" ticket) … the only thing you can't do is the parking and the Sat night meal

skrzastek
skrzastek Reader
12/6/13 8:38 a.m.
Double_Wishbone wrote: Where will you be parking? Infield or out? When I went a few years ago, we did not have infield parking and it was no fun walking all the way back to the car for cat naps and grabbing things. I'm not sure if you can buy infield parking at this time, but if you still can it's worth it. That being said, it's really easy to have a great time. There are so many types of enthusiasts there all sharing in and enjoying the sport, so it's a great time. I'm hoping to go this year too, but nothing's official yet.

Parking outside..... We just made the decision yesterday to do the event and booked the flights...... All the infield parking is spoken for....

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/6/13 8:57 a.m.

If you want to get good photos, buy a small step-stool at the Target across the street from the track. Most of the fences are pretty low, so with a step-stool you will be able to get an unobstructed view.

Also, bring cold weather / rain clothing. That time of year is a little dicey down here in FL. It could be 70 at night, or it could be 35. If it's below 45 or so, it will be cold. There's lots of humidity here, so even 50 degrees can give you a chill--seriously.

FWIW My favorite time of the race is very late. ( 3am--- 6am) During the deepest-darkest part of the night, the race seems like it will never end. This late, the drunks are passed out and most of the other spectators are sleeping. You'll have much of the place to yourself. The cars are banged up and filthy, the drivers tired, and you can see the stress on the team's faces. Before the sun comes up the night feels like it will go on forever. Once sunrise hits, the guys can see the light at the end of the tunnel-- but not in the depths of the night. This is also a great time to get those "rotor glowing" shots everyone seems to like.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh Reader
12/6/13 9:06 a.m.

IF you get a full 3 day pass, then you should be able to get into the garages. Which are awesome about 6-8 hours in when teams start breaking, but with enough time left they try and get back out. 15 minute trans swaps, 20 minute roof swaps, etc.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/13 10:46 a.m.

Two stupid questions. How spread out is everything from the parking to the garage or the GRM tent and are the spectator areas mostly dirt or is there pavement to walk on?

I have a ticket for the weekend but if we get there early enough I am going to try and talk The Wife into coming with me on Friday.

Joe Gearin
12/6/13 11:04 a.m.

Wally---- it's spread out over a pretty large area. Keep in mind the Daytona (NASCAR) track is 2.5 miles around, and the infield is filled with activity. Pavement is abundant, as are access roads / paths to walk on.

If you park outside the track, you can be a mile or more away from our Tent. Spectator areas are spread around the infield track--- and you can also watch from the NASCAR grandstands. From out tent to the garages is about 3/4 of a mile or so, but I'm just guessing. It's a good distance--- not too far, but not too close.

Plan on walking a bunch--- comfy shoes would be a good thing!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/6/13 11:21 a.m.

Did you get the GRM package Wally?

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
12/6/13 11:34 a.m.

Do everything. Take the midnight garage tour with GRM, walk the infield and check out different vantage points, if you have fanzone tix go to the meet and greets, go out to the starting grid, etc, etc. We packed a cooler with, um, medicinal beverages, plus water, fruit and sandwich fixings for lunches. Bring hearing protection, foam plugs from the hardware store are fine, sunscreen is a must for 4 days.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
12/6/13 12:39 p.m.

I've been three times.

The Budwiser party deck is interesting at night, because you can see the cars braking into the chicane. There is a tram that goes back there, but it takes a good half hour to get there...

Upper grandstands are fun for the start, as you can see the flag wave and watch them dump everything down into turn one.

Just try to spectate from as many vantage points as possible, there are some great views at Daytona. Bring comfy shoes, as you'll be doing a lot of walking.

Don't bother with the autograph session. You'll have plenty of time to visit the garages at night and autograph hunt if that's your thing. The autograph session is too crazy to try to get in on.

Always trawl the garages after dark. There will inevitably be someone in the garages trying to get their car working again.

Most importantly, have a E36 M3 ton of fun.

wbjones
wbjones PowerDork
12/6/13 3:07 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Wally---- it's spread out over a pretty large area. Keep in mind the Daytona (NASCAR) track is 2.5 miles around, and the infield is filled with activity. Pavement is abundant, as are access roads / paths to walk on. If you park outside the track, you can be a mile or more away from our Tent. Spectator areas are spread around the infield track--- and you can also watch from the NASCAR grandstands. From out tent to the garages is about 3/4 of a mile or so, but I'm just guessing. It's a good distance--- not too far, but not too close. Plan on walking a bunch--- comfy shoes would be a good thing!

keep in mind that the spectator tram line runs many many times through out the day (don't know about how often it runs in the wee hours of the morning LOL

and one more thing … I found out the hard way last yr … you're not allowed to bring a bicycle in to the infield

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/6/13 3:51 p.m.

Thanks. I have a GRM ticket for myself. If the wife is up to it she Is thinking she might want to come in for a little while on Friday.

Joe Gearin
12/6/13 3:54 p.m.

Wally

You are golden with the GRM ticket. You'll be able to park in our complex which is right in the center of all the action. You'll still be walking a bunch throughout the weekend, but not dealing with parking outside the track is worth the extra price of the ticket alone!

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
12/8/13 1:02 p.m.
Wally wrote: Thanks. I have a GRM ticket for myself. If the wife is up to it she Is thinking she might want to come in for a little while on Friday.

If you got the GRM parking pass you will be within 50 yards of the bathrooms ( mostly paved). The hospitality tent will be 10 feet from the car door. It is maybe 200 yards to Grandstand at the Kink just after the Horseshoe (not paved). Good place to watch from IMHO.Distances are approximate but pretty close? The whole GRM compound is paved and an Excellent place to watch the whole spectacle from. Thanks GRM

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/8/13 1:16 p.m.

The next issue--which, yes, you'll have in time for the race--contains an idiot's guide to the Rolex weekend: where to stay, where to watch, where to eat, etc., etc. Or just hang out with us.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iDQwvUHWEtwcNEIi61YOGxBON9GLZ3HFQ1zUtgIZ4EeqQLTzA2tczYyeF9TXFQFp