1 2 3
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/17/20 9:33 a.m.

[Editor's note: This article originally ran in the December 2009 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.]

Our world may be defined by its people and events, but it’s hard to go far without wheels. It’s the cars that add the sights, sounds and smoke to motorsports.

Each automotive subculture seems to favor different machines. Some go for ’32 Fords and straight-axle …

Read the rest of the story

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/20 9:39 a.m.

This article originally ran in the December 2009 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

I wonder if there is anything in the past decade that could be considered to add to that.  BRZ/FRS maybe?

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 SuperDork
9/17/20 10:05 a.m.

Funny, the subtitle for the VW GTI is "Kick Some Asphalt"....And the photo shows a car kicking dirtcheeky I would drop the DSM and the Sentra and install the BRZ twins and the Datsun 510.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/20 10:18 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

This article originally ran in the December 2009 issue of Grassroots Motorsports.

I wonder if there is anything in the past decade that could be considered to add to that.  BRZ/FRS maybe?

twins could take the place of the celica corolla.

350/370z could replace the Sentra SE-R.

DSM could be dropped for the Focus/FiST

alfadriver (Forum Supporter)
alfadriver (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/17/20 10:35 a.m.

Even though the list is over a decade old, it's an incredibly modern list.  The oldest version of any of those cars (excluding the Mustang- but the modern one was implied) was the late 70's between the Omni and RX7.

Ignoring the MG-T series, anything with a small British motor, Alfas, and pre-US Nissan Datsuns.  And also the early hot-rods that were used for other racing.  They made the scene in the first place.

This is more of a continuation that list, but it does span the magazines Auto-X and GRM.  Which then makes it more accurate for the term "our".  

Hard to add or subtract cars- so many choices.

californiamilleghia
californiamilleghia SuperDork
9/17/20 10:41 a.m.

Seems like lots of cheap Porsche builds , with Boxsters and 911 996 cheap with dead engines  ,  there were always cheap 924-944 and even 928s.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/17/20 10:44 a.m.

I have only owned 5 cars on that list :(

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/17/20 10:45 a.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

The Z is on the list.

spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/17/20 12:30 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

The Z is on the list.

indeed it is.. WHOOPS.

another thought... cayman needs to be added to the boxter line...

i think the neon and omni need to be replaced as does the sentra.. maybe the cellica stays and the sentra goes for the twins instead...

Placemotorsports
Placemotorsports GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/17/20 12:37 p.m.

Owned 9 of them, not too shabby

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
9/17/20 12:59 p.m.

Owned 11 of the 25 on that list. Have most of them still.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/17/20 4:15 p.m.

Owned 2 on the list.  There isn't one on here I wouldn't want to own, even just for a little while.  I agree it also needs a bit of a refresh.  Some of these cars are getting thin on the ground..  I'm looking at your Dodge Omni, CRX, SER, NA miata... 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/17/20 4:44 p.m.

Where's the BiTrouble?

einy (Forum Supporter)
einy (Forum Supporter) Dork
9/17/20 6:12 p.m.

Multiple Civic’s, multiple GTI’s, and multiple Miata’s owned here.   I’m good.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/17/20 7:17 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

Same here, but I was actually surprised I'd had that many. And I learned to drive in a Volvo 145, which I feel almost ticks that box, even if it wasn't a 200 series...

Owning cars, buying cars, selling cars... all a pain in the butt. (EDIT: I know that's an insane thing to say at GRM; I just mean that there's overhead. You don't just get to go through them like candy) And I tend to want some involvement, and not just have had  them (though my Mini and Impreza were stock stock stock). At the same time, there are some things there it just seems like I should do. Never having had a Mustang or Camaro seems like an omission. But maybe lower on the list than a Porsche or something Italian?

This is so much like travel. I keep just wanting to go back to places I've been and liked. Rabbitville, BMWlandria...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/17/20 8:43 p.m.

Some of mine are a stretch honestly.  The SE-R section isn't ultra specific but certainly seems to imply B13, I had a B15.   I had an Impreza 2.5 RS, but it was an '02 (WRX body style) which is covered, but I feel like its implying 98-01 2.5RS and 02+ WRX.  

I don't think anything needs to be replaced on the list.  Those cars did define the scene.  If I were to update the list, I would certainly add the FRS and Cayman.  Its amazing how much of that list is still relevant, just in a newer generation (Camaro, Corvette, Miata, Civic Si, GTI, Mustang, BMW, etc)

ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter)
ChrisLS8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/18/20 12:25 a.m.

In reply to spacecadet (Forum Supporter) :

You are crazy if you think the Sentra doesn't belong on that list. It's too high up the list in my opinion

keithedwards
keithedwards Reader
9/18/20 8:55 a.m.
ProDarwin said:

Is it Turbo to want more out of life?

I've only owned 2 of the 25 listed, but I count about 9 Civics/CRXs/ and a Del Sol VTEC that I used to own. I still own 3 MINIs.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/20 10:51 a.m.
keithedwards said:
I still own 3 MINIs.

But do any of them run? 

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
9/18/20 11:14 a.m.
Mr_Asa said:

twins could take the place of the celica corolla.

DSM could be dropped for the Focus/FiST

Don't the FoST/FiST actually suck at motorsports though? Like cool tuner/DD/street queens but when it comes down to it they just don't cut the mustard on the track? 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/18/20 11:58 a.m.

Quite a few FoST trophied at 2019 Nations in GS

Same with FiST in HS (including 1st place)

If counting those, I wonder if the Mazdaspeed3 deserves a place as well.

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
9/18/20 12:13 p.m.

Wow, even I've owned 5, and just started with the Miata.  I was seriously putting together a plan for an Elise/Exige next year then 2020 decided I needed a new $10k roof and then water heater.  Maybe 2022.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
9/18/20 12:14 p.m.
keithedwards said:
ProDarwin said:

Is it Turbo to want more out of life?

I've only owned 2 of the 25 listed, but I count about 9 Civics/CRXs/ and a Del Sol VTEC that I used to own. I still own 3 MINIs.

My actual count is only 6.  I need to correct that.

1 NA Miata, 1 NB Miata

1 B15 Sentra SE-R

1 Subaru 2.5 RS

1 300ZX

1 S2000

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/18/20 12:43 p.m.

It's sad that only 3 of the manufacturers represented for their small, engaging fwd offerings even offer one anymore, VW, Honda, Mini, (Sorry Nissan the sentra is huge and the versa isn't fun). 

We live in a golden age of excellent engines and yet small, light, engaging fwd cars are nearly non existent and the options seem to become fewer and fewer each year. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
9/18/20 2:42 p.m.

In reply to captdownshift (Forum Supporter) :

All bow to the mighty crossover.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nTBK2G0c0Te3c4Fr93tmhGVqm8hATc98IAOpthaKLyL9Lp29vEndxUd9xEabIZWk