Nebraska280zx
Nebraska280zx
6/29/08 10:22 p.m.

I just bought a 1983 Datsun 280ZX for $300. Nice right?...well, it is all rust under the paint. Floor pans are totally rotted out. I figured the car would get me by for a while. Plus it is a t-top so it will be fun to drive around this summer.

I bought the car to autocross and rallycross. I wanted some input on what I can do to make it run the best and perform the best for low budget. I've been searching the net and all I seem to find are turbo and small block swaps. I don't care about that stuff. If I was making a challenge car, maybe, but I'm just interested in auto/rally-X. I'm not even worried about being competitive. The car is already gutted so I'm out of the stock catagories so I figured I better do a little something to "save face" at events.

Any good websites or advice would be greatly appreciated. Any prefabbed floor pans, body panel replacements, wheels, tires, etc.

Here's some pics: motortopia.com

Thanks!

Nathan

iceracer
iceracer New Reader
6/30/08 8:58 a.m.

Tires would be the first thing. Good tune up. redo the brakes. How is the rest of the suspension ?

Nebraska280zx
Nebraska280zx New Reader
6/30/08 8:05 p.m.

I honestly don't know. I've only driven it onto and off of the trailer I hauled it home with I'm guessing they are in much need of repair as well. I'm afraid of the rust and what may brake or need replaced if I start working on suspension.

Right now my intentions are: 1. Floor pans 2. Tires 3. brake pads, discs, and fluid 4. Little engine stuff - new plugs, wires, air filter, all new fluids

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
6/30/08 8:08 p.m.

I've paid that much for worse 280's.

I wouldn't do much, I think you've got the right idea. It's never gonna be fast or handle great, that doesn't mean it can't be fun just don't spend any money on it that's all.

Rojofro
Rojofro New Reader
7/1/08 7:58 a.m.

1987 Papio Grad here...used to own a 83 Turbo 280 as well.

Check out Hybridz.org, zcar.com, classiczcars.com in pretty much that order. If you like a challenge then you got one - starting with a rust-a-plenty unibody is a bitch.

Where at in Nebraska ru from?

nickel_dime
nickel_dime HalfDork
7/1/08 10:43 a.m.

First fix the floor pans. If the floor pans are rusted out then I'd bet the frame rails are also. Check the front subframe for rust esspecially under the battery. Without fixing those and doing any kind of hard driving the car could do anything up to and including break in half. With the floors rusted out the only thing holding it together is the transmission tunnel, rocker panels and the little piece of metal between the T-Tops.

The body looks really good though. Suprisingly rust free in your picture.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
7/1/08 10:54 a.m.

the internet tends to do that doesn't it.

btw, I'm in Lincoln NE.

Nebraska280zx
Nebraska280zx New Reader
7/1/08 12:56 p.m.

Thanks for the websites.

I'm in Lincoln as well.

The rail on the driver's side is eaten away pretty well but from what I can tell it is limited to the area right under the driver.

It looks like I'm going to have my hands full. Maybe the car has a future in bracket racing and I need to find another toy for auto/rallyX

Or maybe I can use it as a doner for a locost. My grandkids can help me finish it in 40 years. Until then, I'm just going to ride it till it breaks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oScZuNrsavCWQVZMOZIix2qOsnpQ9HIwque9MaqtnvcXsVNmzNUg7z0bmi0Fwc1r