1 2 3 4 5 6
Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/11/11 2:32 p.m.
Per Schroeder wrote: Jonathan, thanks both for coming forward and helping us deal with the situation. I trust your team name next year will be "Two Guys from Canada"?

While I was not able to attend this year's event, I had anticipated trouble avec "nos amis du Nord".

Time to start building that wall my brothers...

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/11/11 2:34 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Sofa King wrote: I didn't make the Challenge this year, but I have participated in two. Obviously the behavior that David is concerned about is offensive to everyone, and should not be tolerated. But there have also been complaints in this thread about behavior in the presence of wives and kids. The Challenges that I have attended have been my ultimate car guy experiences. Because this is a car guy event for me, I am not walking around with my "Wife and Kids Filter" on. I don't mean that I would intentionally try to be a jerk, but wrenching on a car at 2:00 am in a parking lot, I might not be watching my language, I don't expect to turn around and see your 4 year old. Of course I also shouldn't expect you not to be upset if my behavior can be heard in your room. I think that the Challenge can be a family friendly event, but I think if you are bringing your kids, or if your wife is easily offended, you also have a responsibility to edit the situations that they attend.
You are making assumptions that are incorrect. When my 9 year old is playing Forza4 on the public big screen TV in the banquet room and a drunken azzjack bodily stands between him and the screen intentionally trying to interrupt his game and asking him (multiple times) if he knows what the word "f*ck" means, it's not me or my kid who have overstepped the bounds. The staff handled themselves well. Fortunate, because I was inches away from being the guy who got arrested for my efforts to "edit the situation" by force. It's a family event not because I want it that way, but because GRM has defined it that way. I choose to participate because they have chosen what the event will be like. If they change their direction, I will make whatever decisions I need to. David is addressing things that are beyond what GRM wants this event to be. Don't excuse inappropriate behavior because it is a "car guy event".

I don't really have much to add, other than I think you two are talking about two different things. If my car is broken and it's late and I'm frustrated, I might just yell f*ck when I drop a wrench. I'm sorry if you're 9 year old happens to be around, but I think I'm not alone when I say it's hard to filter my language when it's late and I'm frustrated. I would never say that intentionally if I knew your 9 year old was around, but there's a good chance that it will slip. The scenario you described is completely uncalled for, and I think the poster you commented on would probably agree.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/11/11 2:36 p.m.

I understand.

He wasn't there. I am simply pointing out that he is assuming the actions were "slips" or "innocent".

They were not.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
10/11/11 2:39 p.m.

That being said, of all the Challenges I've attended, I've never seen any dude-junk, and I'd like to keep it that way. Wayne's clingy boxers after getting out of the hot tub don't count. As much as I'd rather not see that either, I know it's inevitable.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/11/11 2:44 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I saw the Foza / Child game / swearing incident ..it wasn't Cam (the jackass that spawned this thread) Not sure who he was.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
10/11/11 2:58 p.m.
Sofa King wrote: I didn't make the Challenge this year, but I have participated in two. Obviously the behavior that David is concerned about is offensive to everyone, and should not be tolerated. But there have also been complaints in this thread about behavior in the presence of wives and kids. The Challenges that I have attended have been my ultimate car guy experiences. Because this is a car guy event for me, I am not walking around with my "Wife and Kids Filter" on. I don't mean that I would intentionally try to be a jerk, but wrenching on a car at 2:00 am in a parking lot, I might not be watching my language, I don't expect to turn around and see your 4 year old. Of course I also shouldn't expect you not to be upset if my behavior can be heard in your room. I think that the Challenge can be a family friendly event, but I think if you are bringing your kids, or if your wife is easily offended, you also have a responsibility to edit the situations that they attend.

So does being a "car guy" mean you have to have a filthy mouth or a lack of consideration? I sure hope not. Does being a "car guy" mean that you have to leave your family home because the atmosphere is inherently foul? I sure hope not. I had my wife and kids with me when I competed and I'll do it again. I shouldn't be expected to tell the kids "listen mini boost, when people are around cars they swear and act rude. Just don't pay attention to them." Yes, in life I do run into DB's that cuss like sailors when in a family restaurant and I don't tolerate it. Should those same people be allowed to behave in such a way just because we are there to enjoy cars?
If I'm there with my kids and a word slips out, I don't get all bent out of shape. If another word or two slip out and I can't remove myself from the situation I'll quietly ask said person to curb the bahavior. I don't want to keep shuffling my kids around the hotel or track, or leave them at home because people feel that liking cars means they can't behave in an adult mannor. That said, I wouldn't have my kids in the lot at 2 am.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
10/11/11 3:01 p.m.

I swear I just heard the junk junk sound from Law and Order

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/11/11 3:06 p.m.

It wasn't 2:00 AM. It was more like 9:00 PM. It wasn't in the parking lot. It was in the banquet room.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/11/11 3:08 p.m.

It will be dealt with.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
10/11/11 3:09 p.m.
SVreX wrote: It wasn't 2:00 AM. It was more like 9:00 PM. It wasn't in the parking lot. It was in the banquet room.

Hahaha.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/11/11 3:54 p.m.

This is turning into a game of Clue.

"In the banquet room, at 21:00, using the word f-"

I's kind of sad.

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/11/11 3:55 p.m.

Wayne?

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/11/11 3:58 p.m.

Yea, really--I'm hearing different accounts that it was/wasn't the weenie-wagger. Pink shirt account from Scott points to Cam from Canada.

And Wayne wouldn't be surprised that he's on my naughty list as well.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
10/11/11 3:59 p.m.

Not to add to the game, but Scott said he was wearing a pink shirt. (I didn't see it, don't actually know who it was. Sounds like a jerk, though.)

Margie

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
10/11/11 4:08 p.m.

Do i hear a mixer drum turning? Isn't their a garage remodel happening at the compound?

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
10/11/11 4:13 p.m.

Is Marjorie building a patio as we speak?

Sofa King
Sofa King Reader
10/11/11 4:14 p.m.

In reply to SVreX:

I am not making any assumptions. Your son was doing exact;y what he should have been doing exactly where he would be expected to do it, and there is no excuse for the behavior of that guy! He was exhibiting behavior that isn't acceptable under any circumstances! You showed restraint that I probably wouldn't have been able to muster.

I am talking about inadvertently offending someone (child or spouse) that is in an unexpected situation. Behavior and language at the banquet is certainly different than language in the parking lot at 2 am. I am just saying that there are times at the challenge that are PG and there is still room for PG-13!

AutoXR
AutoXR Reader
10/11/11 4:15 p.m.

It wasn't Cam @ the video game .. I was standing right there when the guy was swearing and it was a plaid shirt and he was double fisted.

I don't know what else to say.. Cam won't be back and again I am sorry. If there's anything I can do to make things better...ect... just let me know. I tried to act as diplomatic as possible in all of this.

Next year Im just gonna bring my wife.

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/11/11 4:20 p.m.

This sounds like the Road Atlanta infield in the early 90s.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte HalfDork
10/11/11 4:23 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: It wasn't Cam @ the video game .. I was standing right there when the guy was swearing and it was a plaid shirt and he was double fisted. I don't know what else to say.. Cam won't be back and again I am sorry. If there's anything I can do to make things better...ect... just let me know. I tried to act as diplomatic as possible in all of this. Next year Im just gonna bring my wife.

Pics of wife?

Otto Maddox
Otto Maddox Dork
10/11/11 4:31 p.m.

I am willing to bet most people here have been drunker than Cooter Brown and not done any of that stuff.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette Dork
10/11/11 4:44 p.m.

Maybe at the pool there should be a sunaru waiver clause of "2 pairs of underwear must be worn at the pool" in the red bag at sign in

Sofa King
Sofa King Reader
10/11/11 4:50 p.m.

In reply to DrBoost:

When I am talking about being a "car guy" I am talking about the audience that I am expecting to be around. If I am having a beer in the parking lot or working under the car my language may be saltier than it would be if I am having cookies with the kids. The Challenge may be considered a family event, but I don't remember seeing more than a handful of kids at the Challenges that I have attended. I am not saying that anyone has a right to be overly foul or offensive, but given the general make up and atmosphere surrounding the Challenge, I think that you should expect that there will be a little bit of "Boys being Boys" and try avoid those instances with your kids. As you said you understand that there will be slips that you don't really mind, and all I am saying is that those slips should be expected. I would never intentionally swear in front of anyone's family, but I do have a problem when someone takes offense to language that is appropriate for the given situation, but suddenly isn't because a child is unexpectedly present.

You said that your child wouldn't be present at 2 am and that is all I am asking.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
10/11/11 5:02 p.m.

All people who attend the event need to remember there are other people, who are not Challenge hardened, at the hotel. It is not completely taken over by us.

Much was said by the hot tub offender about why a 12 year old child was in the pool area at 10pm, as I said to him, it is Friday night and the child was on holidays with her parents, if they let her stay up late on vacation she shouldn't have to put up with this BS just because a drunk decided 10pm was too late for a child to be awake.

Many challengers left the area just before this happened, in anticipation of such behavior.

Several were present and can verify as to the innocence of Wayne, this time. Per, you can ask me for the witnesses names, I wont publish them publicly.

I was not present for any other incident.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
10/11/11 5:51 p.m.

In reply to Sofa King:

David asked for specific input regarding problems that DID happen.

You are speculating about things that MIGHT or might not happen.

One of the reasons you have not seen very many children is that they are being shielded from stupid behavior by keeping them in their rooms or away from the event.

It's not a democracy. Your opinion based on the head count you think you've seen of children, wives, etc. is irrelevant. GRM is hosting the event and has made it known that it is a family event. If they choose to change that, they may.

They didn't actually open the door for the opinion that some bad behavior should be expected. They made the statement that some behavior took place, and was unacceptable, and asked for ideas in how to correct it. It's their show.

There is no reason grownups should not expect grownups to act like grownups.

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QSoNlXXm58aMSzStbMy68yWTlwASCXJxTwBXoY3GetMaGHsgE8mwYNmvnCoJ2jcm