1 2 3 4 5 ... 7
Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
7/25/17 10:51 p.m.
I don't know why we need a new lightning when chipped and bolt on 3.5 Ecoboost F150s are running 12's.

Yeah, if one is actually after straight line performance from a pickup, buy a turbo one and a tuner box. I honestly don't see the old sport trucks coming back in the same sense. A new Raptor runs high 13s 1/4 mile and while that may not be much faster than the last Lightning or SRT10 Ram, the thing has so much more capability overall that any 2018 sport truck that didn't run 11s would seem half-hearted in comparison. The Raptor as a total package blows the old sport trucks out of the water so hard that noone's even seriously competing. Maybe Ram or GM can make a sport truck as a cop-out to making something that has to be that impressive to play in the same segment.

roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/25/17 11:36 p.m.
CobraSpdRH wrote: Why can't they do this with a 4 door? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Fusion has next-to-no sporting pretensions (even the Sport). Yes, there is the Focus ST and RS, but FWD and 6+ seconds 0-60. I guess I'm just picturing a 4 door Mustang GT and EB but it doesn't exist (in the US, I believe this would be a Falcon in other countries). I wonder if this drops the price on Coyote Mustangs enough to justify a "weekend car"...

For the record, the Focus RS is AWD (not FWD) and hits 0-60mph in ~4.7 seconds. Fairly sporty for a 5-door hatch.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
7/26/17 7:35 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
I don't know why we need a new lightning when chipped and bolt on 3.5 Ecoboost F150s are running 12's.
Yeah, if one is actually after straight line performance from a pickup, buy a turbo one and a tuner box. I honestly don't see the old sport trucks coming back in the same sense. A new Raptor runs high 13s 1/4 mile and while that may not be much faster than the last Lightning or SRT10 Ram, the thing has so much more capability overall that any 2018 sport truck that didn't run 11s would seem half-hearted in comparison. The Raptor as a total package blows the old sport trucks out of the water so hard that noone's even seriously competing. Maybe Ram or GM can make a sport truck as a cop-out to making something that has to be that impressive to play in the same segment.

For some odd reason Ford won't let you order a 3.5L EcoBoost in a standard cab short box. You have to get the 8' box or extended cab.

Honestly, the 2.7 is supposed to be quicker to 60 than the 3.5, probably due to weight savings and the amount of power that can be put down in a light rear truck.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/26/17 7:39 a.m.

You want a new Lightning? Throw the Ford GT Ecoboost at a F150. Sure, it'll be over $100k but you can get a new Escalade over six figures now days.

Want it to be a bit fancier? Throw the IRS from the Expedition in the back of it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/26/17 7:39 a.m.
crankwalk wrote: I don't know why we need a new lightning when chipped and bolt on 3.5 Ecoboost F150s are running 12's.

Because one gotten from a factory is better than some aftermarket hack.

Having seen some of the hacks do the SHO, calling them hacks is a deserved name.

But I personally don't see the need for an actual Lightning, when the Raptor is much more popular than the Lighting was (relatively speaking).

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/26/17 7:41 a.m.
RossD wrote: You want a new Lightning? Throw the Ford GT Ecoboost at a F150. Sure, it'll be over $100k but you can get a new Escalade over six figures now days. Want it to be a bit fancier? Throw the IRS from the Expedition in the back of it.

That's not much of a "throw" since the production GT engine is based off of the truck. (recall that the race motor is actually based off of the SHO, and the two are different engines).

Amazing how this ends up being so similar to the GT40 in that respect.

(and I bet you see something on that line in a raptor some day)

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
7/26/17 9:46 a.m.
roninsoldier83 wrote:
CobraSpdRH wrote: Why can't they do this with a 4 door? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Fusion has next-to-no sporting pretensions (even the Sport). Yes, there is the Focus ST and RS, but FWD and 6+ seconds 0-60. I guess I'm just picturing a 4 door Mustang GT and EB but it doesn't exist (in the US, I believe this would be a Falcon in other countries). I wonder if this drops the price on Coyote Mustangs enough to justify a "weekend car"...
For the record, the Focus RS is AWD (not FWD) and hits 0-60mph in ~4.7 seconds. Fairly sporty for a 5-door hatch.

Good points, I guess I was focused more on the ST with that statement than the RS. Would love to test drive an RS, but afraid I would want to bring it home

As others are posting, maybe the trucks are the answer here. No manual (right?), but definitely quicker than they have a right to be. That combined with street-tuned suspension could be a fun time (homebrew Lightning).

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/26/17 9:50 a.m.

In reply to CobraSpdRH:

I think so. And a lot of the F-150s come with 275s stock and will easily fit much wider than that

STM317
STM317 Dork
7/26/17 10:01 a.m.

In reply to FlightService:

You used to be able to get that combo. If you're willing to go back a generation, you can have what your heart desires.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/26/17 10:09 a.m.

In reply to STM317:

But going back a generation adds somewhere around 500 - 700 lbs to the truck due to the steel vs aluminum body. And the 2017+ 3.5 EB makes more power stock too. At that point, I'd rather have the slightly bigger (lighter and more powerful) truck vs the smaller but heavier / slower truck.

STM317
STM317 Dork
7/26/17 10:15 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

True. Just giving the man some options. I'm not even sure why we're talking about trucks here, when you could probably buy a stupid fast Mustang for less $$$

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/17 10:38 a.m.
STM317 wrote: In reply to rslifkin: True. Just giving the man some options. I'm not even sure why we're talking about trucks here, when you could probably buy a stupid fast Mustang for less $$$

Because the GRM was is too constantly talk/complain about the availability of things that they'll never buy anyway.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
7/26/17 10:40 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
STM317 wrote: In reply to rslifkin: True. Just giving the man some options. I'm not even sure why we're talking about trucks here, when you could probably buy a stupid fast Mustang for less $$$
Because the GRM was is too constantly talk/complain about the availability of things that they'll never buy new anyway.

FTFY

Of course, seeing as GRMers are about the only ones that would buy these vehicles period, it makes no difference from your argument.

keethrax
keethrax Dork
7/26/17 10:43 a.m.
D2W wrote: You are absolutely right, no matter what you approve of someone has to throw out some opinion of why its no good. I think puppies are cute, but I'm sure someone will tell me that polar bear cubs are way better.

If you think that polar bear cubs being better invalidates puppies being good and get your knickers in a twist over it. That's on you. Not the polar bear fan.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
7/26/17 11:02 a.m.
FlightService wrote: In reply to drdisque: I mean look how awesome the SS did...

Great car... that no one new about. How many threads were started HERE about this car when people first saw one? It was almost like GM didn't want to sell them, but they had to so they made them and ignored them. There were ZERO ads for them. No marketing at all.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/26/17 11:11 a.m.

Because it sounds like a great (bad) idea to wait a few years until enough people total the shiny new high powered F-150s, buy a crash damaged one and make some sort of gigantic exocet

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock MegaDork
7/26/17 11:26 a.m.

There are precious few RWD 2 door cars left in existence and all you fools are talking about is how it needs to be 4doors.

Boo on all of you.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/26/17 11:35 a.m.
RevRico wrote: God yes. 3.7 ecoboost with a 6 speed on the panther platform? Sign my local police force up and I'll buy 2 in a few years when the price comes down.

Annnnnnd, there it is. When you buy your retired cop car, Ford will get precisely zero dollars from the transaction. Same with the used private vehicle market. So they should give a crap what this crowd thinks... why, exactly?

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
7/26/17 11:50 a.m.
Duke wrote:
RevRico wrote: God yes. 3.7 ecoboost with a 6 speed on the panther platform? Sign my local police force up and I'll buy 2 in a few years when the price comes down.
Annnnnnd, *there it is.* When you buy your retired cop car, Ford will get precisely **zero dollars** from the transaction. Same with the used market. So they should give a crap what this crowd thinks... why, exactly?

If a police department knows that cop car A is more desirable on the used market than cop car B (and correspondingly can be sold for more money when they replace the cars) and they're close in price when new and both will do the job adequately, that might encourage more departments to buy car A (which is good for sales of car A and also makes people who want one but don't want to buy one new happy).

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/17 11:56 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
Because the GRM was is too constantly talk/complain about the availability of things that they'll never buy anyway.

That's why most threads are about a totally different thing after the second page.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UltraDork
7/26/17 12:03 p.m.

Because people would just go over and buy hellcats for 57-60K. 4 door big power sedans are for the Germans if you want refinement and speed, you just pay through the nose for it.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/26/17 12:04 p.m.
rslifkin wrote:
Duke wrote:
Annnnnnd, *there it is.* When you buy your retired cop car, Ford will get precisely **zero dollars** from the transaction. Same with the used market. So they should give a crap what this crowd thinks... why, exactly?
If a police department knows that cop car A is more desirable on the used market than cop car B (and correspondingly can be sold for more money when they replace the cars) and they're close in price when new and both will do the job adequately, that might encourage more departments to buy car A (which is good for sales of car A and also makes people who want one but don't want to buy one new happy).

Are there any municipalities that buy ANY vehicle based on it's resale value??? Seems like they all buy them for 1) sale price and 2) does it do the job.

BTW, the highest value car will be the one that appeals to the biggest crowd, not the smallest.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/26/17 12:04 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: If a police department knows that cop car A is more desirable on the used market than cop car B (and correspondingly can be sold for more money when they replace the cars) and they're close in price when new and both will do the job adequately, that might encourage more departments to buy car A.

Personally, I don't see that as even being in the top 10 reasons a government agency would choose Car A over Car B. But my point is stated and I'm dragging this pretty far afield at this point, so I'll leave it at that.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/17 1:09 p.m.

somebody brought up dropping that motor into a Lincoln. I suggest this is a great idea. We all need a hot rod lincoln

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
7/26/17 1:13 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Are there any municipalities that buy ANY vehicle based on it's resale value??? Seems like they all buy them for 1) sale price and 2) does it do the job. BTW, the highest value car will be the one that appeals to the biggest crowd, not the smallest.

Judging by how many get completely destroyed, my guess is the cars are purchased with the assumption none will survive to be sold and any income from resale is considered a bonus.

1 2 3 4 5 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2irEK8iwRaV09ZTb7x4bLAunbisBqec7kbfSF1U15wN9YFHtsrhLAocUZqsfJKlW