Abominations

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/17 10:27 a.m.

Looks like an American Panamera.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
7/28/17 10:32 a.m.

Those looked so nice that until thansnowinnebago made the Panamera comment, I didn't even notice they were four door. I love it. Can you just stretch the wheelbase for something like that the way they do long wheelbase luxury cars for back seat room?

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/28/17 10:46 a.m.

I actually like the lines of the S550 BETTER as a 4dr, LOL.

Hey Tuna, anything's possible with enough money. My company owner just had this built as his daily driver:

supposedly the first 6 door conversion on an aluminum F250. Supertrucks in Augusta GA did it.

More pics: http://www.f650pickups.com/f650/first-aluminum-six.html

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/28/17 11:22 a.m.

In reply to ultraclyde:

I'd file that one under "more money than sense", but to each his own. I sure wouldn't want to drive that as a daily. Must be great in parking lots.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/17 11:32 a.m.
T.J. wrote: In reply to ultraclyde: I'd file that one under "more money than sense", but to each his own. I sure wouldn't want to drive that as a daily. Must be great in parking lots.

depends on the amount of kids he has?

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/17 11:45 a.m.
rslifkin wrote: rior looks like? All I care is that I can reach the buttons I need to, it's intuitive enough to find things and it's comfortable to sit in. So what if every button happens to be dick shaped or something?

Interior quality is a lot more than what things look like.

The E36's interior is almost perfect IMO... when it is brand new. They age like a fine milk, though. There's a reason why so many E36s nowadays have stripped/gutted interiors: nothing of value is lost.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
7/28/17 12:14 p.m.

In reply to BlueInGreen44:

A four door Mustang is a Falcon. Those horses need to be replaced with birds of prey.

Gentleman_Racer
Gentleman_Racer None
7/28/17 12:42 p.m.
ultraclyde wrote: The 2018 GT will be 460hp and do 0-60 in under 4s when set to "drag strip mode." ALso, the Ecoboost does it under 5. Jalopnik report 3.xx second 0-60? In a factory stock Mustang? As the article sort of said...it's a good time to be a gearhead... not long ago that was mclaren, lambo, and ferrari territory.

So, that means it'll be a second faster to run into a crowd at a Cars & Coffee then the previous model?

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/17 1:40 p.m.
Gentleman_Racer wrote:
ultraclyde wrote: The 2018 GT will be 460hp and do 0-60 in under 4s when set to "drag strip mode." ALso, the Ecoboost does it under 5. Jalopnik report 3.xx second 0-60? In a factory stock Mustang? As the article sort of said...it's a good time to be a gearhead... not long ago that was mclaren, lambo, and ferrari territory.
So, that means it'll be a second faster to run into a crowd at a Cars & Coffee then the previous model?

Yawn.

Welcome.

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
7/28/17 1:52 p.m.
rslifkin wrote: In reply to lnlogauge: At that price point, who cares what the interior looks like? All I care is that I can reach the buttons I need to, it's intuitive enough to find things and it's comfortable to sit in. So what if every button happens to be dick shaped or something?

How often will you be using that 0-60 time? Its hella fun when you do, but for 90% of your driving, youll be going less than 60mph.

I've driven the Camaro, the Challenger, and the mustang. I can't say anything on the performance side, but the mustang was a giant disappointment to me. Most of that being the interior. Sure taste is subjective. What isn't subjective is that an 60k performance car, shouldn't share the interior of a 7 year old family car.

Just because it has physical buttons, doesn't mean anything is easier. If you have to google how to do something, the designers did it wrong.

Grizz
Grizz UberDork
7/28/17 1:59 p.m.

In reply to dj06482:

If I remember right the awd on the charger is only available on the v6. Not that 300 hp is anything to sneeze at.

I'm apparently the opposite of everyone else on the planet because my ideal cars have 4 doors and my ideal trucks have two doors.

But then again I want to bedliner the inside of an awd minivan and use it as a junkyard crawler.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/17 2:21 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to dj06482: If I remember right the awd on the charger is only available on the v6. Not that 300 hp is anything to sneeze at. I'm apparently the opposite of everyone else on the planet because my ideal cars have 4 doors and my ideal trucks have two doors. But then again I want to bedliner the inside of an awd minivan and use it as a junkyard crawler.

No, Charger RTs can be available with V8's and AWD. Very common option where I live.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/28/17 2:23 p.m.

In reply to lnlogauge:

How did a $40k all of a sudden become a $60k car?

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/28/17 2:40 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to lnlogauge: How did a $40k all of a sudden become a $60k car?

This. And even if it was that much, that's ALWAYS been the idea behind pony cars. You get performance for your dollar, built on the roots of more humble cars. So, the interior is not as nice at $40k as a 3-series or A4 or whatever. It'll blow the doors off those cars. That's always been the trade-off in pony cars. And these days, I'd argue, the trade-off is much smaller than it was in the past.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/17 2:43 p.m.
Grizz wrote: In reply to dj06482: If I remember right the awd on the charger is only available on the v6. Not that 300 hp is anything to sneeze at.

They did drop the Hemi/AWD combination in 2015, but they were available for a few years prior to that. I agree that if you have to settle for the V6, you could do worse than the Pentastar. I was impressed with the one we had in a rental Caravan a few years ago, but that was probably lighter than the Charger!

lnlogauge
lnlogauge Reader
7/28/17 3:10 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: In reply to lnlogauge: How did a $40k all of a sudden become a $60k car?

The pic I posted was the gt350, which is 60. All the trim packages use the same interior for the most part.

Their competition is killing it. A muscle car doesn't need a nice interior doesn't work as an excuse anymore.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/28/17 3:34 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
The pic I posted was the gt350, which is 60. All the trim packages use the same interior for the most part. Their competition is killing it. A muscle car doesn't need a nice interior doesn't work as an excuse anymore.

We get it, you don't like it, you think well, the same thing you posted multiple times in this thread. Give it a rest.

Seriously, why do some of you get off on complaining about stuff you we're NEVER, EVER going to buy anyway?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/28/17 3:34 p.m.
dj06482 wrote:
Grizz wrote: In reply to dj06482: If I remember right the awd on the charger is only available on the v6. Not that 300 hp is anything to sneeze at.
They did drop the Hemi/AWD combination in 2015, but they were available for a few years prior to that. I agree that if you have to settle for the V6, you could do worse than the Pentastar. I was impressed with the one we had in a rental Caravan a few years ago, but that was probably lighter than the Charger!

But they've added it back this year for the 485HP Challenger!

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
7/28/17 3:39 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:
The pic I posted was the gt350, which is 60. All the trim packages use the same interior for the most part. Their competition is killing it. A muscle car doesn't need a nice interior doesn't work as an excuse anymore.

Except this thread is about a new car coming to dealers in a month for $40k.

Besides, when you say "killing it"- do you mean on the track, or in my profit sharing check?

For your specific hate- suck it up. Just because you don't like it doesn't mean everyone hate it the same.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/17 8:38 p.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote:
This. And even if it was that much, that's ALWAYS been the idea behind pony cars. You get performance for your dollar, built on the roots of more humble cars. So, the interior is not as nice at $40k as a 3-series or A4 or whatever. It'll blow the doors off those cars. That's always been the trade-off in pony cars. And these days, I'd argue, the trade-off is much smaller than it was in the past.

Remember when the main selling point of the Mustang LX 5.0 was that it was only a hair over $12,000? (The GT was a little more, but it wasn't any better than the LX, just heavier)

This is when, say, a Cavalier was also about $12k.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UberDork
7/28/17 9:23 p.m.
lnlogauge wrote:

I guess that explains the rave reviews and waiting lists for the GT350.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
7/28/17 9:35 p.m.
Knurled wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
Remember when the main selling point of the Mustang LX 5.0 was that it was only a hair over $12,000? (The GT was a little more, but it wasn't any better than the LX, just heavier) This is when, say, a Cavalier was also about $12k.

You can buy a brand spanking new base Mustang GT 5.0 from discount dealers for around $28k. You can easily pay over $28k for a Honda Accord. It's hard to find new Miatas for under $28k. I don't imagine the faster 0-60 time is going to make a big difference in the availability of sub-$30k base GTs.

That is a hell of a performance bargain.

1 ... 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YictyaSVYJxTELsACuLZEtCERCTfz7tf3UKDRIpnnJear1gnS6m4lbQKeYaVx0oK