DMSentra
DMSentra New Reader
8/24/08 12:34 p.m.

It seems that a 300TD wagon would do fair well as a tow rig for the race car. 2000lb. gross trailer load would drop the mileage maybe 15%? I'm looking still but guessing the car would weigh maybe 3K? Any known reason to avoid this idea?

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed New Reader
8/24/08 1:04 p.m.

I don't know, but I have also thought of using one for the same reason and wondered the same thing.

mtn
mtn Dork
8/24/08 1:17 p.m.

I know Mercedes used to have ads with the old E-class sedans pulling campers.

And where we fish we often times see a 93ish diesel wagon with a pretty big trailer hitched to it.

rustyvw
rustyvw GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/24/08 4:04 p.m.

When I was in high school, my mom had a 300 turbo sedan. That thing was so slow unloaded, I can't imagine what a wagon pulling a trailer would be like, I bet getting up to speed would seem like an eternity.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/24/08 4:29 p.m.

I dont really think that the Mercedes diesels are terribly slow. They certainly arent as fast as most cars, but I drove a 240D 4 speed and on a freeway on-ramp with 3 corners in it that I know in my Milano I can get up to a little over 75 mph at the end if I push it hard, in the 240D I had no trouble getting up to 60 mph by the end ( I even slowed down for the last corner becasue I saw id have to merge between 2 semi trucks.)

If you are looking at a 300td, make sure the self leveling rear suspension is working (or maybe buy a sedan if you dont want to deal with that?), and an EGT gauge wouldnt be a bad idea before you try pulling anything heavy with it. I kinda want to get a 300CD to use to drive to school, but Im not sure if I want to pay for diesel right now.

jdmae92
jdmae92 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/24/08 4:59 p.m.

I just bought a 300td (td means wagon, not necessarily turbo diesel) that has the turbo, it is by no means slow. They have approx. 123 hp and 175 or so lb/ft of torque. It is not the fastest car on the road but it is not at a loss for power.

I have not tried towing anything with mine yet. From what I have found the only hitches available are class 1 so you might have to get a custom hitch to tow a car, also I have heard that towing can cause the body to flex so extra reinforcement on the hitch is helpful.

Travis_K
Travis_K New Reader
8/24/08 5:05 p.m.

Almost every 300TD is a 5 cylinder turbo, but yea there are 300TD non turbo 5 Cylinders, and 240D wagons (I dont know if the badge says 240TD? It may but i havent seen one). I actually saw a 4 speed manual non turbo 300td for sale one, it was like $6k though.

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
8/25/08 12:59 a.m.

My Volvo 245 Diesel (non-turbo) wagon has a whopping 82 hp and 100 or so ft/lb. It is rated to tow 3300 lbs. I'd do it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0MaW4VpEyAkcNqZljUzIYGALIAXt1wDuEuCLNzmwQcT97fMVGHRtxUs977YStyo7