1 2 3 4 5
penultimeta
penultimeta Reader
2/23/17 7:07 a.m.

2jz is a very long engine if i remember right. 3sgte is pretty compact. 3 cylinder ecoboost? Also, why is there a naked dude in your garage?

Chadeux
Chadeux Dork
2/23/17 7:09 a.m.
penultimeta wrote: Also, why is there a naked dude in your garage?

Where else are you going to safely store your naked dudes?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/17 7:24 a.m.

As someone also building a 300-ish small lightweight abomination of car, a 2JZ is a very long, tall engine and not much lighter than a SBC. My engine choice in the Rice Rod was 80% emotional but I don't regret a thing.

However. See Georgia Tech's Wreck Racing 2JZ-powered MG Midget. It put down over 340 to the wheels with a junkyard turbo and MS1, through a TH350 and Ford 8.8, and still weighed only 2,000 lbs. It was a MONSTER. Shame it never got fully sorted before they moved on to that Subaru Insight thing.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/23/17 7:44 a.m.

The 3SGTE is big, heavy, and wide (in LR config) once you factor in the long intake runners and all of the turbo hardware.

My V6 MR2 was about 40lbs lighter after the conversion.

I'm having to look at it kinda cross-eyed, but I'm thinking maybe turbo subie? You have some width to play with, but most I4s are going to be longer and much taller than your rotary.

Edit: Google says Subie EJ20 is about 32" wide, 23.5" high, but only 16.5" from bellhousing to pulley. That doesn't include the intercooler.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/23/17 8:12 a.m.

Ecoboost, Ecotec or a Turbo Dodge.

Although there is something to be said about a 60° V6 with 300 hp. What's that list look like? The MoPar Pentastar 3.6, GM High Feature 3.6, Ford Cyclone 3.7 has 300 or so hp. Don't know about how easy it would be to control them or mount manual transmissions to them. Obviously the Mustangs 3.7 has a manual transmission. Don't know about the other two.

What about a Japanese V6s?

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/17 8:17 a.m.

In reply to RossD:

I don't think I can handle the width of a V6. There just isn't enough width between the foot wells. I would have to pull the roll bar, move the seating back a foot, cut out the foot wells and pretty much rebuild the entire front of the car.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
2/23/17 8:37 a.m.

If it fits, SR20DET seems like the best option to me. Even though it wasn't sold in the US, there's quite a bit of support due to the the 240SX crowd. It's primitive compared to an ecoboost or ecotec, but will probably cost considerably less.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/23/17 8:51 a.m.

I have to agree the Honda K engine seems to the be ticket if it's short enough (height wise, it's a tall motor IIRC)...and high comp pistons, cams, E85 should have you easily over 300hp

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/17 8:53 a.m.

So what's space like behind the driver...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin PowerDork
2/23/17 9:00 a.m.

Modified class E (EM)
Modified Production and GT cars as follows:
A. Weight with driver vs. Displacement (lbs.):
• Piston engines up to & including 3200 cc OHC ........................................1700
• Piston engines up to & including 4500 cc pushrod/OHV....................1700
• 2-rotor rotary engines with unrestricted porting...................................1700
• Piston engines unlimited displacement......................................................1800
• 3-rotor rotary engines with unrestricted porting...................................1800
• Electric powerplants (non-hybrid)...............................................................1800

C. Weight Bias Adjustment with driver sitting in the driver’s seat (lbs.):
• RWD with less than 51% weight on drive wheels .......................Deduct 50
• FWD..................................................................Deduct 50

Is making min weight a concern for you with any of the engines listed thus far?
What about Bias?

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
2/23/17 9:14 a.m.

there are also the GM atlas engines. You dont see much about them but people are starting to boost them and making decent power (atleast out of the 6 cylinder from what i've seen, and it looks like the 4 and 5 cylinder are just cut down versions of that). the 2.8 4 cylinder made 175 hp stock and if its built anything like the 4.2 6 cylinder then it would take well to boost and can be tuned through the stock ecm.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
2/23/17 9:30 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Modified class E (EM) Modified Production and GT cars as follows: A. Weight with driver vs. Displacement (lbs.): • Piston engines up to & including 3200 cc OHC ........................................1700 • Piston engines up to & including 4500 cc pushrod/OHV....................1700 • 2-rotor rotary engines with unrestricted porting...................................1700 • Piston engines unlimited displacement......................................................1800 • 3-rotor rotary engines with unrestricted porting...................................1800 • Electric powerplants (non-hybrid)...............................................................1800 C. Weight Bias Adjustment with driver sitting in the driver’s seat (lbs.): • RWD with less than 51% weight on drive wheels .......................Deduct 50 • FWD..................................................................Deduct 50 Is making min weight a concern for you with any of the engines listed thus far? What about Bias?

Oh wow, those are some big displacement engines.

If I were looking for very light weight and 350.hp, these would tempt me. http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/chevrolet-unveils-new-midget-racing-engine

Pushrod = light and tiny as well.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/23/17 9:32 a.m.
edizzle89 wrote: there are also the GM atlas engines. You dont see much about them but people are starting to boost them and making decent power (atleast out of the 6 cylinder from what i've seen, and it looks like the 4 and 5 cylinder are just cut down versions of that). the 2.8 4 cylinder made 175 hp stock and if its built anything like the 4.2 6 cylinder then it would take well to boost and can be tuned through the stock ecm.

They are VERY tall. Between 30-32 inches.

trucke
trucke Dork
2/23/17 9:34 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I don't speak Japanese very well. So, where do I start?

I read your questions a little differently.

free Japanese lessons

chaparral
chaparral Dork
2/23/17 9:36 a.m.

Honda J32. Around 350 lbs. No turbochargers etc to worry about.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/23/17 9:38 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Dr. Hess wrote: Not sure if a 3SGTE would fit in there. I could measure one for you. Just happen to have a spare on an engine stand.
A measurement would be appreciated. Those are pretty reasonably priced, is there a RWD transmission for them?

Yes, actually there is. The Altezza (JDM Lexus IS chassis) came with a 3SGE BEAMS motor, 2L NA, a tad over 200 HP and a 6 speed, I think, or at least a 5 speed. It will bolt right up to any S block. The JDM importers have them.

I'll take some measurements this evening.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
2/23/17 9:50 a.m.
trucke wrote:
Toyman01 wrote: I don't speak Japanese very well. So, where do I start?
I read your questions a little differently. free Japanese lessons

I think this language lesson is better:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_UDcfOkOeTw

The fun starts at 43 seconds in.

Dr Ribs Revere
Dr Ribs Revere Reader
2/23/17 11:33 a.m.

If cost is no object... Motus V-4 ?(supercharged or sprayed)

http://www.motusmotorcycles.com/mobile/americanv4.html

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/23/17 11:35 a.m.

22RE is a bad idea. They do not rev. What's a take out from a wrecked Eco-boost Stang go for? Probably spendy initially, but what a hell of an engine.

engiekev
engiekev New Reader
2/23/17 12:05 p.m.

Ecotec would be easier and cheaper than ecoboost, they've been around and in many other applications (FWD and RWD) so parts are plentiful. Could use a trans from a solstice or sky.

Inspiration here http://www.speedhunters.com/2016/09/datsun-time-attacker-gm-ecotec-power/

Popular with the sand rail crowd too http://www.alphafabindustries.com/collections/ecotec-solutions

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
2/23/17 12:45 p.m.

If this is a race only car (no reverse needed, full throttle most of the time), a bike engine with a tiny turbo is really the lightest, cheapest option. Here is an example of the insanity that is a turbo bike engine in a car.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Pkkr4QyJ5oU

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/23/17 1:14 p.m.

What if you added a third rotor? Everyone loves a 20b.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
2/23/17 2:02 p.m.

I'd also vote for Ecoboost or Ecotec. The former may be a little bit smaller if space is at a premium (who suggested a monster like the straight 6 Toyota - really?)

If you wanted a really pretty looking engine that is about as short as you can get a straight 6 (they kept it short because they used it in a transverse installation) look at the Volvo 6.

Out of a Volvo S80, it is a 24 valve 2.8 litre that puts out decent power (more than decent in the twin turbo form, and was designed to be only a few mm longer than the 5 cylinder Volvo engine. Take off all the garbage they put on modern engines, add some very pretty headers and a different set of intakes and you get a damned nice looking engine!

PS - that particular engine puts out 788hp and 723 lb-ft of torque and is installed in a Volvo 122 Amazon wagon.....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ SuperDork
2/23/17 2:05 p.m.

I say keep the rotary, it already fits and building a new engine that slots in place of the existing one will almost always be easier than a swap. Figure out if you have room for a turbocharger and go from there? I know that superchargers have been used on carbed rotaries with some success, but I'm not sure you'll make 300hp with one.

You could also do some crazy peripheral port thing but unless you have the machining capability to DIY them the housings are expensive.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
2/23/17 7:17 p.m.

Some other Mazda rotary would certainly be the "easy" button.

OK, 4th Gen 3SGTE from a Caldina: Measurements are approximate.

Bottom of pan to top of intake manifold (height): 27"
Intake manifold to alternator/turbo (width): 25"
Front of Harmonic Balancer to rear face of motor (length): 20"

My Factoid database says:
3SGTE weight, flex plate, no turbo/exhaust manifold, all other accessories including AC: 350 lbs.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zoIhZsJoELL8bSqhDQag5bVWSbV6qCqdvfg1GP1VK4nbdYqWj1jP8ZOFLlKgECzI