Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/9/21 11:02 a.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/the-3-rs-rx-7s-red-iron-random-other-stuff/181382/page1/#post3239661 

I just had a workshop built in the backyard.   This is a hobby shop with 1-2 people working at any time. 

It's a 30'x50' with 16' side walls.  A 12x12 roll up on the front and 10x10 on the side plus two walk ins. 

More pics and a video of the build are in a thread above.

I attached a couple pics of the layout.  You can see the doors, the red represents the I-Beams.  The small green squares are where I had 12" pads poured in anticipation of two posts lifts. The car is 8x16 for reference. 

The large green box is an idea for a 12 wide by 20 deep storage mezzanine and possible enclosed AC workshop / office when working on smaller bench projects. 

Thinking of some pallet racking in the back left corner. 

Electric has yet to be run but going with 100amp service. 

Interested to hear thoughts / opinions / suggestions. 

Curtis73 (Forum Supporter)
Curtis73 (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/21 1:52 p.m.

Just stopped in to say congrats... and I hate you just a tiny bit.

Back to my 12 x 20 garage :(

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/9/21 1:53 p.m.

If you do the 12 x 20 enclosure make the walls strong enough the overhead can be floored with a guard rail or enclosed walls to the ceiling for additional storage. Might just as well be able to use the additional space. You could even make it an office or lounge with a couple of windows overlooking balance of building

Rons
Rons GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/9/21 1:55 p.m.

Congrats on the build, a cool feature would be the ability to seal/nearly seal the area where the car is. With a powerful exhaust fan there would be an area for sanding/painting.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/21 2:05 p.m.

Wheels. I have two big workbenches on wheels that I use to reconfigure mine on a regular basis. Sometimes they act as a central divider, sometimes they get moved beside a car to provide more room or to give a work area near a different project, sometimes they get dragged in from of a car as a presentation stand for video shoots.  The ability to move around a couple of 2x6 benches easily is the key to my 30x40 shop.

Patientzero
Patientzero HalfDork
4/9/21 2:21 p.m.

I worked in a shop with that exact layout.  I HATED how cramped it was working on a car up by the door with the office right next to it.  Just my $.02.

frenchyd
frenchyd UltimaDork
4/9/21 2:28 p.m.

In reply to Greg Voth :

My suggestion is don't limit yourself to one layout. Put everything on wheels.  Stuff that needs to be firmly in place where you need to lean on or pry against put on 2 wheels. That way when you set it down,  it's solidly in place. But if you put a floor Jack under the end without wheels you can roll it away.    
      The reason is you will get tools and equipment that need a lot of space around to work. But when you aren't using that tool or equipment  you can roll it together to leave you with more space.     

By the way my main shop is 30x50 with a 22 foot long 6' wing and a separate 16x16 entrance.  I can barely keep my pick up and her Honda in. 

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/9/21 4:08 p.m.

Thanks for the input and compliments. I'm very thankful I got to build this at all. My wife is awesome.

Wheels are a good idea. 

Im mostly waffling on the office/mezzanine part. It doesn't have to be that size but having out of the way storage will be helpful. I was also considering just pallet racks for that and leave it open underneath. Wouldn't be too difficult to change up later that way if need be. 

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/9/21 4:48 p.m.

What area is recommended to work comfortably around a 2 post lift?

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
4/9/21 7:06 p.m.
Stampie said:

What area is recommended to work comfortably around a 2 post lift?

This right here......

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
4/9/21 8:30 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Going off Bendpack's numbers a standard 2post is about 12 feet wide, not including the reinforced slab area. I feel like I'd want 2 feet between lift and wall so you can walk by it.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/9/21 9:45 p.m.

That was my thought with the 12 to the side was a couple feet each way. 

Once I finish the floors and move a car in I can play around to simulate. 

I should probably add I am planning a wrap around porch on the front and lean to on the right for semi dry storage. 

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/9/21 11:01 p.m.

I built basically the same shop a few years ago.  One thing to consider if you have a long term non running project on the lift have an easy way to move it off and get another car on the lift.  That way if the wife's cars need brake work or a friend needs to work on something it's easy to do.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/10/21 9:04 a.m.

That's precisely the reason I was planning on two lifts. One for longer term project and or storage. The other as working lift as it where. 

Haven't figured if I want two two posts or a two post and four post. 

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/10/21 9:14 a.m.

The two entrance doors are fantastic. 

No other opinions other than a sink in a shop is nice. A sink with hot water is really nice. A toilet and a sink with hot water is the best. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/21 9:15 a.m.

I'll check the side clearance I have on my two post. I think it's about 2' per side outside the posts. That's proven to be completely workable, because of course the car doesn't reach to the outside of the posts. If you've got a car that's 6' wide on the lift, there's already 3' on each side.

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/10/21 12:28 p.m.

All of my machinery except the lathe and the mill are mobile.  Most are on wheels.

I put a lot of though into running the compressed air to minimize moisture.  Among other things, the line runs around the "workable" side of the shop at the ceiling running slightly downhill to the final leg which is a drain only. All the "drops" come off the TOP of that line and then go 180° to come down the wall to the outlet, which continues to a drain below the outlet - every leg has its own drain as well.

I wish I had put a more outlets in the ceiling for retractible extension cords, but I tapped into the light fixtures which has worked fine.

I think I would have liked an air fitting poking out an outside wall. Currently I just throw a line under the roll up door.

My only windows are 11' in the air and face North, to minimize prying eyes and summer heat.

I have an 18" barn fan in the peak of the vaulted ceiling.  I do not have adequate "make up" air (my electrician said a 14" louvered vent would be enough - he was wrong), so I added a rheostat for electric motors, and I'll crack the roll up door when I need more air flow.

Ideally you want both a 4-post and a 2-post lift.  They each have their advantages.

My compressor is in its own remote, insulated shed, run through a 240V contactor controlled by a 110V switch in the shop (as is the 110V auto tank drain in there).  Easy to shut off the compressor when I exit the shop.

Don't build too much shelving and storage, or you'll just end up shelving a and storing stuff and you'll run out of space.  Try your best to de-clutter (good luck with that).

Paint it soothing colours that warm your heart and keep you calm - less thrown wrenches....

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
4/11/21 9:03 a.m.

I've got a stainless outdoor sink going near the back left corner just to use for hand washing with Dawn and coffee grounds.   

Unfortunately we are on septic which is at the front of the house so short of a pump or a separate septic tank so waste plumbing is a no go at the moment. 

Good call on the air and electric. Ill probably update this when I start planning / getting to that stage. I would like to do an insulated exterior house for the compressor to minimize noise for me and the neighbors. 

At this point I'm not likely to have much machinery other than a drill press, chop saw, and welder. A friend of mine has a pretty well equiped shop a mile or so away for anything more serious. 

pirate
pirate HalfDork
4/11/21 11:38 a.m.
Greg Voth said:

I've got a stainless outdoor sink going near the back left corner just to use for hand washing with Dawn and coffee grounds.   

Unfortunately we are on septic which is at the front of the house so short of a pump or a separate septic tank so waste plumbing is a no go at the moment. 

Not getting into if it's right or wrong. I have a friend who lives on about five acres and his shop is about 200 to 300 feet from the house. He got a urinal and small sink from building salvage yard. He has only water to the shop. He mounted the urinal and sink in the back corner of the shop. The waste water drains are plumbed into a buried five gallon bucket with lid, drilled with holes and filled with pea gravel about twenty feet behind the shop. Before filling the bucket with the gravel he lined the bucket with filter cloth. He's been using for probably over five years with no problems or odor. 

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/11/21 12:25 p.m.

More lights and more outlets than you think you need.  I have 2 welding outlets and should have done at least two more, one near my covered porch 

SkinnyG (Forum Supporter)
SkinnyG (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/11/21 1:09 p.m.

I'm on septic too, and running water to the shop would mean digging Volkswagen-sized rocks out of the yard 4' deep, right through the septic field, which, with the tank, would have to be replaced to handle the increased volume and current code.

I just have a pail of water.  Dish soap and coffee grinds, rinse in the bucket, and all the debris settles to the bottom.  Gets me clean enough to walk the 50' to the house.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9TWzUqv7ILivhhZkpRAIAMiHuIZhT6gko2eHKlnhX6CAudWvEvou8cwbidxjMXW4