1 2
Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/30/12 12:45 p.m.

I'm off to look at a cheap 325e this week. From what I know the 325e gets the 2.7 crank (good), but gets a more restrictive cyl head, weak cam, play doh valve springs, lower compression, 5K Vs 6.5K rev limit and a different computer, all bad bad bad.

The net result is only 121hp, but 180lb/ft of torque Vs 168hp and 164 lb/ft of the 325i engine.

What can be done to redress the balance?

I know you can swap on a 325i head, but I understand to do that correctly you need the whole head, intake, vane meter, computer etc etc. Not a cheap or simple job, but you do end with an engine with a lot of potential.

What can be done without going that far? can you shave the head for more compression and give it a home P&P job plus unshrouding the valves and adding stiffer valve springs? What do you do about the diesel range rev limit? In short is there any low buck hope for the eta engine?

Intended use would be fun track toy, occasional autocrosser. No 'real' racing at a total and healthy disregard for the Sanctimonious Car Club of the Afflicted autocross rule book. Fun, cheap and simple would be the operative words. We’re talking caveman class challenge money here, but only after a number of years to get to such heady spending heights.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/30/12 12:48 p.m.

I paid $50 for a chip, huge difference! Red lines at 6300, not 4k. A noticable "seat of the pants" difference.

Look in your area for a local BMW Forum. Some of the big sites are not GRM-like.

Dan

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/30/12 12:50 p.m.

Wow, a chip that actualy works!! Did you need stiffer valve springs to go with the chip?

Cool, I'll be looking at the car sometime this week.

z31maniac
z31maniac UberDork
4/30/12 1:10 p.m.

I'd only look at an E model if you were planning on swapping it down the road.

P&P the head wouldn't be worth your time............also sounds like MUCH more work than swapping the other stuff on. Although you still end up with slightly lower compression (unless you get an '88 SuperETA engine) which is perfect for boost!

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
4/30/12 1:12 p.m.

My immediate first thought was motor swap, and I am not a fan of motorswaps (0 for 3 at this point).

M3Loco
M3Loco New Reader
4/30/12 1:13 p.m.

Just swap in an S52 and you got a sleeper.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
4/30/12 1:15 p.m.

Can't you put an "i" head on these for super happy fun time stroker shenanigans?

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/30/12 1:37 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Can't you put an "i" head on these for super happy fun time stroker shenanigans?

You need new pistons as well of you've wasted effort as you have a super low compression ratio, plus new intake, header, computer, injection. Just a few minor bits and bobs then

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
4/30/12 1:38 p.m.
M3Loco wrote: Just swap in an S52 and you got a sleeper.

If the $$'s for an S52 were even on the other side of the rainbow I wouldn't be considering this car to begine with

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/30/12 1:40 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Can't you put an "i" head on these for super happy fun time stroker shenanigans?
You need new pistons as well of you've wasted effort as you have a super low compression ratio, plus new intake, header, computer, injection. Just a few minor bits and bobs then

Like... how super low? Sounds to me like it's turbo time.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/30/12 1:40 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote:

Sounds like a problem a turbo would solve.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/30/12 1:42 p.m.
MG Bryan wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:

Hello, Future Self.

I would just like to re-iterate that the correct answer to any problem presented to you in the future is "turbo." Thus far, it looks like you're doing fantastically, so please do carry on.

Sincerely,

-HalfTrac

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker UltimaDork
4/30/12 1:46 p.m.

92CelicaHalfTrac
4/30/12 1:51 p.m.

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
4/30/12 1:52 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Did you need stiffer valve springs to go with the chip?

No. I never noticed valve flutter or anything either.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
4/30/12 1:59 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
MG Bryan wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote:
Hello, Future Self. I would just like to re-iterate that the correct answer to any problem presented to you in the future is "turbo." Thus far, it looks like you're doing fantastically, so please do carry on. Sincerely, -HalfTrac

Kind sir,

The kool-aid tastes good, and there are RX7 550cc injectors sitting on my desk. There will be powah.

Sincerely,

-Bryan

CLNSC3
CLNSC3 Reader
4/30/12 4:28 p.m.

5.0/T5 swap. I'm working on an e36 right now, have everything but the car. Doing all my own work, besides exhaust fab, I will have spend just over $3,000 including the car....

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/1/12 8:02 a.m.
CLNSC3 wrote: 5.0/T5 swap. I'm working on an e36 right now, have everything but the car. Doing all my own work, besides exhaust fab, I will have spend just over $3,000 including the car....

I've yet to see a practical successful 5.0 Ford swap written up into an E30, plenty for E36’s, but not an E30. Vorschlag did the Lsx swap, but that was just for the challenge. I’ve seen lots of 5.0 threads out there, but non complete and driving. I have seen a couple of pictures of running 5.0’s in E30’s but not with a write up. Also they all seem to lose a booster and go to manual brakes. Immaterial really as again, if I had the time and money for a V8 swap then I wouldn’t be interested in this car.

Thoughts are caveman challenge type build, but not for the challenge.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/12 8:22 a.m.

Since I'm also half-considering a few eta cars, I'm reading this with great interest.

It seems to me that this engine is kind of hopeless without major surgery. Yeah, a chip will help, but you'll still be well behind a car with an M20. So it seems like it would be worth it to hold out for a 325i or is.

Swap-wise, it seems like the easiest swap that would be worthwhile would be an M50/M52. They can't be that expensive, there are a lot of crappy old E36s running around.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/1/12 8:28 a.m.

I don't know, from what I've seen a chip, some valve springs seem to be a good first step. Then you can add the 325i intake, but that's worthless unless you've expanded the rev range with a chip first. I see 150hp as doable for beer money, but with more low end torque than the 'i' engine. But that area under the curve would be a benefit.

The biggest drawback I'm seeing with the eta cars is that an LSD is far more rare, that and the stupid US fat bumpers that cars came with until 88

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/1/12 1:03 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: US fat bumpers that cars came with until 88

When brits mention the U.S. they love to include "Fat" in the same conversation.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/1/12 1:21 p.m.
Xceler8x wrote:
Adrian_Thompson wrote: US fat bumpers that cars came with until 88
When brits mention the U.S. they love to include "Fat" in the same conversation.

Please note I'm also posting in the Atkins diet thread. There's 30lb's more of me than when I moved here so I'm intimately aware of fat.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson Dork
5/1/12 1:22 p.m.

Paging belteshazzar I’ve found the following in another 325eta thread right here on GRM posted by him in 09.” my superETA with 325i head made 155 hp and 162lbs of torque at the tires on a dynojet.”

belteshazzer, if your out there what was you build spec?

snap_understeer
snap_understeer New Reader
5/1/12 1:47 p.m.

25i Head swap, 25is exhaust system, and cold air intake. Just some light mods to help.

Ian F
Ian F UberDork
5/1/12 1:48 p.m.

Have you looked around on e30tech and R3vlimited?

I often looked at eta's and their nice low prices, but everyone said that by the time you did the work, just getting an 325is was about the same money, so that's what I did.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
00Og75nzOcW23hgI9VMnrFeS4B3bkoajLAz4HNL23Vzfj1SJKSNlYKTH5J9UdDNX