1 2
Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
7/29/13 9:01 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: He's definitely off on what it would cost to duplicate, though. $40k+ is what it costs if someone else does the wrenching. He's pretty proud of it not being a kit, but the fact of the matter is that the kits mean that it's a lot easier to build the car now than it was in 2005.

That's what gets me, where I think he is really upping the price. I get that it not being a kit means that it was more time, effort, and probably money. But that doesn't mean it is a better product. I'd wager it makes it not quite as good, because it doesn't have the benefit of other people's experience to figure out quirks. It also means that there is no standardization of parts if something breaks.

Nice and all, but I have trouble seeing this being worth much more than $30k, tops. Definitely worth more than $20k though.

NOHOME
NOHOME Dork
7/29/13 9:23 a.m.

Pretty sure you could not duplicate the car for less. So, if you are determined to go down the road and builds are not your thing...why would you complain? He will save you years and money over doing your own.

That said, cars depreciate, and this car has had 12,000 miles of use since it was "Finished". I bet they were fun miles also. What should be a reasonable depreciation?

I would not offer build price to any seller, but a well done and sorted car(that's still "Fresh") should command about 750-80% of what it cost to create. More power to the buyer you if you can steal it, more power to the seller if he can get more.

airwerks
airwerks New Reader
7/30/13 2:29 p.m.

750-80% ?

= 670%

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
klG8vp847dzuIMsE4brD0GMB1RAaUjksLoXcJ6UAy4t47HS5EV67fUK4T8wDIeo5